Thread: Windows 8.1 Sleep mode / Power Savings Plan does not work every time

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 Sleep mode / Power Savings Plan does not work every time

Hiya,

I have be working with the new i5 4670K bundle / Win 8.1 I got from Scan a week ago and I am having issues with the power saving mode and screen blank & screen saver options.

Every now and then the power Saving plan kick in and screen blanks after 10 mins - but more often than not it does nothing.
    Have tried enabling the screen saver and same results.

I have looked around on the MS site and found people with similar issues

MS Answers post

I have followed the advice there, but its not made any difference.

Anyone else seen this??

Cheers

MD

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-B75-D3V (rev 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Black Viper 24GB 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2 GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • AvP Triton Mid Tower PC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (64 Bit)
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbps (1 MBps) Tiscali

Re: Windows 8.1 Sleep mode / Power Savings Plan does not work every time

Have you got all the latest Windows patches installed? The default power plan is 10 mins to turn off the screen and 20 mins to go to sleep if there are no disk activity otherwise Windows will not go to sleep if there is background operation running.

Windows will save the state into the RAM upon telling it to sleep and enter low power state. Are you able to manually force it to sleep?

Do you any peripherals plugged into USB ports as they could be the cause of stopping Windows from sleeping, unplug any peripherals you do not need or not essentials to eliminate the cause.

Thanks
    • apmallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WIFI
      • CPU:
      • E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2-800 OCZ XTC Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 2 X 500GB Samsung Spinpoint Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 5770
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220
      • Internet:
      • O2 - All I know!

I had the same problem when upgraded to 8.1 and it is all to do with homegroup, I think it is the way 8.1 want's to be your server as well. Basically it is not just homegroup on this machine, but on all machines on your network, it keeps searching for them thinking it has something to do. If any have a different homegroup set up, regardless of this machine not being in one, it will not go to sleep. It was my htpc, which I like to go to sleep overnight so it was quite frustrating for me as well.

To fix it I had to remove all 4 machines I had on the network from different homegroups, and then setup one new one, should work from there on. Its easy to check this is the problem first as well, by trying to sleep if you are disconnected from the internet, if that works I would then do the above.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Well it works OK now, and I don't exactly know what fixed it. There was a process that I found as per the MS link I posted in the OP when I ran "Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed". I stopped this and it may have fixed it.

I have also allowed a number of MS 8.1 updates to install automatically over the last few days - again these may have fixed it.

@ apmallett - the Homegroup is an interesting one. I have recently setup Homegroup linking 2 of my PC's including the new one to enable file sharing across the network - before I read your post (honest lol)
    Again It may have fixed it.

All I know is the screen is now powering off at 10 mins which is what I wanted. So that's the main thing. Thanks all.

Thread Information