• RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Re: Windows activation

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Well, your effectively telling the truth.....and it's less fraudulent than running one of the many SLIC loaders or KMS emulators!
    Are you saying two wrongs do make a right?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRoy View Post
    Are you saying two wrongs do make a right?
    No, I'm just saying it's a grey area. What constitutes that PC not being that PC any more? So technically even if you replaced the motherboard it's still the same PC, just Microsoft wants to try and classify it otherwise.....personally I wouldn't let them get away with that! Plus, there are other easier ways to activate, even if you don't have a valid license......I've always felt retail pricing was a ripoff and OEM licensing was a con. If Microsoft adopted a more sensible approach to home licensing we probably wouldn't even need to have this conversation
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    No, I'm just saying it's a grey area. What constitutes that PC not being that PC any more? So technically even if you replaced the motherboard it's still the same PC, just Microsoft wants to try and classify it otherwise.....personally I wouldn't let them get away with that! Plus, there are other easier ways to activate, even if you don't have a valid license......I've always felt retail pricing was a ripoff and OEM licensing was a con. If Microsoft adopted a more sensible approach to home licensing we probably wouldn't even need to have this conversation
    I agree with your sentiments on MS's licensing approach over the years, tying the OS to the hardware in a bid to maximise sales upon upgrade to better technology. It was a master business stroke from Bill Gates/MS's point of view as it meant that they were effectively able to structure the deals and cash in on the growth of personalised IT right from the very start of the whole industry.

You may well call it a rip-off and a con, but caveat emptor. Unless we propose revolution, there's nothing we can do about it, unless we're willing to break the law because we disagree with the legal licensing structure. If so, what would be the next law we'd decide to ignore because we felt it was wrong?

I know the law's an ass, but I don't think that excuses personal anarchy!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Depends how different the motherboards are. If you're replacing with the same then it should be fine as the drivers will all work. If not, it'll probably work, but might complain a bit.

As the posts above yours say, if you're replacing motherboard due to failure MS will let you transfer the license.
    Once i had a pc, and when i changed the mobo, it just blue screens at me, forcing me to re-install windows. it was a pain. However all documents / files are saved inside the hard drive, it creates a new "windows.old" folder which contains all your old stuff. If you really have to re-install it, don't worry, you documents are all safe, you just need to move it back to the new install

Thanks
    • noveltylamp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD/1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 550w Seasonic-built XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 & 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

As long as you're using the same CPU and chipset manufacturer as before (e.g. Intel/Intel) it will likely at least boot up giving you the opportunity to install any missing drivers, the days of different HALs and having to have the correct HDD controller in the critical device database as with XP are long gone, but if you've got access to another PC it's worth putting a copy of the correct NIC drivers on a USB stick in case they're missing and you can't get online!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information