• Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Software to use 3G connection

I happen to have to come across two separate users who have to separate laptops (different brand, generation and model) but can take WWAN adapters plus have a SIM slot, thus the users would like to have the option to have mobile internet on they laptops without using the mobile phone or USB adapters.

One laptop is a HP EliteBook (will confirm model number), second laptop is a Dell D630.

Both have compatible 3G modems (had to switch several internal WWAN adapters, especially in the HP, otherwise it refused even to boot). But...

But the HP refuses to work with anything but a PAYG SIM (tried Virgin as latest PAYG SIM) card and the Dell refuses any SIM altogether.

With the Dell I suspect it is some software in-compatibility because the user insisted to install several dodgy "speed-me-up-Scotty" programs, but the HP it is just odd even if the user of the HP requested his mobile provider for a standalone SIM card linked to his plan so can tap into his 10-15GB data allowance each month.

Both 3G modems have the latest drivers (GOBI 2000 and the second I can't recall right now), show up in device manager, but when I would like to configure the mobile connection using Windows dial-up this happens:

Dell > (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Set Up a Connection or Network > Set up a dial-up connection > The Dell shows that there is no dial-up modem, despite the SIM card inserted and the modem showing up in the Device Manager)

HP > (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Set Up a Connection or Network > Set up a dial-up connection > The HP recognizes the modem, with the PAYG SIM card allows me to enter the number to dial *99# but with the pre-paid plan encounters a error, will post tomorrow).

Any ideas? Should I use some software or app? I Googled many different permutations of the same question, but I can't really find anything...

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Re: Software to use 3G connection

Done it. If one would encounter a similar problem, download HP Connections. Too bad that not much documentation about it.

Thread Information