Thread: Changing permissions from Recover Console - Windows 8.1

Registered+
    Thanks

Changing permissions from Recover Console - Windows 8.1

I did something really stupid yesterday. I've been having the, seemingly common, problem with the Windows Module Installer eating up my CPU and as a "quick fix" I decided it was a good idea to deny the TrustedInstaller user access to it. It immediately fixed the problem so I went about my day despite knowing that something bad would inevitably arise from the situation. Turning it on today I'm stuck with an eternal "Please Wait..." screen (the coloured one just before the login screen).

I've tried changing the permissions through the Recovery Console but my command line skills aren't what they used to be, and now I'm more used to a Unix terminal. Within the RC it doesn't seem to be aware of the existing users when using ICACLS and asked me for a secure ID or something.

I also tried using my Windows 7 machine but got a disk IO error when trying to access WinSxS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't

Splash

Re: Changing permissions from Recover Console - Windows 8.1

That'll be because under the hood Windows doesn't know or care what the display name of an account is - it's the SID that it maps to. Try renaming an AD account - the SID stays the same. Now delete the account and recreate it with the same name: you get a differing SID and no access to the resources that the old account was mapped to.

TrustedInstaller is actually a service, rather than a user account. It's SID is S-1-5-80-956008885-3418522649-1831038044-1853292631-2271478464 which maps to NTSERVICE\TrustedInstaller. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...07.06.acl.aspx might help you fix this, but I'd strongly recommend you not tinker with it's permissions in future!

3. Received thanks from:

SomeoneNotQuite (08-02-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Changing permissions from Recover Console - Windows 8.1

Thanks, but unfortunately all I got was "Access is Denied". Thankfully, however, common sense eventually returned to me and I pulled a copy of TiWorker.exe off another Windows 8 machine with the same build and now it boots fine.

I normally wouldn't have been so reckless but this is a spare machine that's fallen into a living room role so it's likely to experience more abuse than usual.

Thanks again for the answer though! It kept me away from more heavy handed approaches that would have disrupted my carefully configured HTPC setup.
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't

Thread Information