Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to buy Windows 7,8,10 + what's the deal with Retail vs OEM this time?

ZaO

Cheapest place to buy Windows 7,8,10 + what's the deal with Retail vs OEM this time?

Looking at online stores, it doesn't seem to be easy to tell which versions of Windows 10 are Retail, and which are OEM/System Builder. Some of them are listed as OEM, some list the same versions as Retail, while others don't specify what they are. How do we tell?

It would also be great to get some clarity on the limitations in regards to moving your licence to a new computer/upgrading the motherboard. Can the Retail version of Windows 10 do that like it could in previous versions of Windows? What about the OEM/System builder version?

Also, I'm looking at buying a retail licence for Windows 7, 8 or 10 (7 or 8 will be used for upgrading to 10). Anyone know any cheap, reliable places?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ZaO; 29-07-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Re: Cheapest place to buy Windows 10 - Full retail version (UK)?

Looks like Scan in the UK.

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=...44+66075+66076

Not going to do price comparisons with US sites, but they seem to be roughly the same (give or take a dollar, pound or Euro...)

(although I thinks it's a bit dodgy to charge next day delivery for a digital download and e-mailed key...)

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Looks like Scan in the UK.

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=...44+66075+66076

Not going to do price comparisons with US sites, but they seem to be roughly the same (give or take a dollar, pound or Euro...)

(although I thinks it's a bit dodgy to charge next day delivery for a digital download and e-mailed key...)
    Weird, I just posted in the Scan section of the forum before seeing your reply None of them on there say they have a Retail licence. I'm thinking that the ones that don't say they're OEM are Retail licences. I think Retail versions also include both 32 and 64 bit. But, I just want to be really sure before I buy anything. I really don't want to end up with an OEM licence :/ Novatech have clearly stated which ones are OEM or Retail on their site, so I might buy from there if I can't confirm what other sites are selling.

And yeh, I don't agree with them charging you delivery just for an email. Maybe they don't actually charge and the postage price is just there by default. I think I'd get free postage anyway so I guess it doesn't matter to me..

Cheers.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

once you do the free upgrade you can then get the iSO and wipe the drive & install without a key, it checks MS's activation server for your hardware ID and will activate (just done it tonight) so all is good.

The ISO's will be out in a few days but I couldn't wait and downloaded and converted an ESD to ISO straight from MS as they are now online.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    once you do the free upgrade you can then get the iSO and wipe the drive & install without a key, it checks MS's activation server for your hardware ID and will activate (just done it tonight) so all is good.

The ISO's will be out in a few days but I couldn't wait and downloaded and converted an ESD to ISO straight from MS as they are now online.
    I know about that, but I'm just looking to buy a Retail copy... Thanks.

Thanks
    • ChinesePate's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G45
      • CPU:
      • 4670k @ 4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB G.Skill 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB 840 EVO, 240GB ARC 100,4x2TB WD BLUE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 550W
      • Case:
      • HAF 922
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Dell S2740L
      • Internet:
      • [X]

I don't think you will be able to be honest

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by ChinesePate View Post
    I don't think you will be able to be honest
    Yeh it's still confusing! W10 has caused way too much confusion...

Have a look at Scan's reply to my post here: http://forums.hexus.net/scan-care-he...ml#post3506051

I don't know what to think now!

Edit: Novatech got back to me when I asked about the retail licence of W10 they're selling. They said " Unfortunately we do not have the full details of Windows 10 at the current moment in time as Microsoft has not fully released the details of all the releases of this OS, due to constant changes being made.". Well, I'm confused! Hopefully we'll find some official answers on this. I need to go looking on the MS forums again..
    Last edited by ZaO; 27-07-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

re: your convo with Scan and manufacturer numbers -

FQC-08788 is the number for the 'full' or retail version of Pro on a USB stick - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-529-_-Product $199USD
    KW9-00016 is the home counterpart. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-528-_-Product $119USD

Why Scan and Novatech don't have them and NewEgg and Amazon do makes little to no sense to me.

ZaO

re: your convo with Scan and manufacturer numbers -

FQC-08788 is the number for the 'full' or retail version of Pro on a USB stick - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-529-_-Product $199USD
    KW9-00016 is the home counterpart. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-528-_-Product $119USD

Why Scan and Novatech don't have them and NewEgg and Amazon do makes little to no sense to me.
    So are you saying that there is a version with the retail style licence we're familiar with? I don't know what the hell to buy lol >_<

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

It's widely reported (as in, everywhere) that Win10 pricing is a duplicate of Win8 pricing. Those prices are also the retail prices for 8/8.1 Pro and Home, respectively, from Microsoft. Obviously, you can get them less expensively through Amazon, etc, but it's MS's retail pricing that matters.

I'm trying to figure out when LEGITIMATE retailers started selling OEM licenses that aren't attached to a machine already. We all know about license key resellers, and we also know that's purely gray area. I can also show you hundreds of images, stamped by MS, saying that OEM software is to be obtained ONLY with the purchase of a new (or authorized refurb shop) PC. Period. Full stop. Been there, done that, was a licensed refurb shop for over a decade. Just because MS hasn't pulled the trigger to kill that particular practice doesn't make it a safe route. Just one people have been able to get away with.

So yes, I'm saying there are retail versions. I've just linked them to you - granted, they're US links, but that kind of makes you wonder, again, what 2 UK retailers are talking about.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    So are you saying that there is a version with the retail style licence we're familiar with? I don't know what the hell to buy lol >_<
    I am guessing by the prices that the £158 one is the retail.....it's price is a lot higher and it is missing the OEM moniker.

If it isn't retail, then I have no idea WTH it is.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

ZaO

It's widely reported (as in, everywhere) that Win10 pricing is a duplicate of Win8 pricing. Those prices are also the retail prices for 8/8.1 Pro and Home, respectively, from Microsoft. Obviously, you can get them less expensively through Amazon, etc, but it's MS's retail pricing that matters.

I'm trying to figure out when LEGITIMATE retailers started selling OEM licenses that aren't attached to a machine already. We all know about license key resellers, and we also know that's purely gray area. I can also show you hundreds of images, stamped by MS, saying that OEM software is to be obtained ONLY with the purchase of a new (or authorized refurb shop) PC. Period. Full stop. Been there, done that, was a licensed refurb shop for over a decade. Just because MS hasn't pulled the trigger to kill that particular practice doesn't make it a safe route. Just one people have been able to get away with.

So yes, I'm saying there are retail versions. I've just linked them to you - granted, they're US links, but that kind of makes you wonder, again, what 2 UK retailers are talking about.
    I know the whole OEM thing is a bit of a grey area. I normally buy OEM licences and have been able to reactivate when upgrading motherboards with them. I can probably do the same with W10 OEM, but I just wanted to buy a version with the retail style licence to make sure I wouldn't need to worry about that incase they're stricter on it this time, because the way they handled W8 makes me think they will be.

So yeh, there does seem to be retail versions. But I guess what I'm confused with now, is what does that retail licence actually allow you to do? If it doesn't have the benefit I want over the OEM licence, then I'll just buy OEM!

Thanks.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

I just found my old laptop with a win 7 pro coa, formatted and installed it on the games PC, activated via phone and am now sat here with an activated win10 pro fresh install

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    I just found my old laptop with a win 7 pro coa, formatted and installed it on the games PC, activated via phone and am now sat here with an activated win10 pro fresh install
    Nice Any idea if you can upgrade the mobo n stuff or move it to another computer? I mean, I know what you've already managed to do would suggest that may be possible, but you can't be too sure with MS

I would do the upgrade thing myself, but I don't currently have a licence for any version of Windows. What was my W7 licence is now on someone elses computer so I can't use that.. The MS support forums have people saying that when you upgrade to W10 for free, it carries along the same benefits as your previous licence. But I don't actually know if they're correct or not..

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I am guessing by the prices that the £158 one is the retail.....it's price is a lot higher and it is missing the OEM moniker.

If it isn't retail, then I have no idea WTH it is.
    Yeh. I'm still confused about what's what and what what allows! Haha...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    So yeh, there does seem to be retail versions. But I guess what I'm confused with now, is what does that retail licence actually allow you to do? If it doesn't have the benefit I want over the OEM licence, then I'll just buy OEM!
    In (most) previous versions:

OEM can only be installed on a PC you plan to sell and it's then locked to that motherboard (replacement for faults are allowed).

Retail can be installed on your own PC and transferred between PCs.

Windows 8.1 Home's retail box goes for £85 and Microsoft have said prices should be the same for Windows 10.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    In (most) previous versions:

OEM can only be installed on a PC you plan to sell and it's then locked to that motherboard (replacement for faults are allowed).

Retail can be installed on your own PC and transferred between PCs.

Windows 8.1 Home's retail box goes for £85 and Microsoft have said prices should be the same for Windows 10.
    I'm still running W7 and I'm familiar with how the licences work on it. I didn't like W8 very much, so didn't switch to it, and I didn't put enough time into reading to properly understand the licences for that..

Right now, it doesn't really seem too clear with W10 licences. I expect there should be some news any day now, so I'll have to hold off buying until it's confirmed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information