Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 10 Activation Woes

Thanks

Re: Windows 10 Activation Woes

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Not sure if I've mentioned it on this thread but one of the things concerning me is that MS have not been clear about how the upgrade license works with regard to new PC hardware after the free upgrade period ends.

E.g. say I do the Win10 update from Win7 now, but 18 months down the line I decide to perform an upgrade which involves changing the motherboard, CPU and GPU, will it activate? And if not, will phone activation work?

I wonder if you'd have to just let the installation boot on the new hardware to register the new hardware to the license, then re-format? There's just no clarification on it at all from MS.
    Going on Microsoft's Activation in Windows 10 Guide they say you would have to call customer support in such a situation.
    Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change

If you upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and then made significant hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. For help on how to activate your device, contact customer support.

Thanks

Re: Windows 10 Activation Woes

I guess they'll be preparing for a lot of non-automated activation phone calls then!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information