Thread: Abit F-I90HD Died?? Please advise if possible!

Thanks

Abit F-I90HD Died?? Please advise if possible!

Evening all,

Yesterday I recieved all the parts to build my new PC. Scan supplied the E4400 and a couple of wiring bits and overclockers an Antec Fusion, 2GB geil DDR2 800, Samsung 500GB SATA and Samsung SATA DVDRW.

Built it all up, everything looked sweet. I guess I should of realised the first time it booted into XP setup for initial install and it shutdown right when it wanted you to press F8 to agree or something, for no apparent reason.

I put this down to the fact I forgot to set the DDR voltage to 2.1v so immediately (second power up total) I set the voltages correctly.

Windows installed fine. I then installed all the drivers as per the manual using direct downloads from Abits website to make sure I was upto date. I installed nothing more than drivers and the latest ATI catalyst.

Did a few reboots for normal installing of the drivers, but had 2 sittings at the machine. Today, left it on all day and it was fine when I got home, I decided to load ABIT EQ to check the temps and stuff and all looked fine.. I went to shut the machine down, I think I actually got an error about ABIT EQ while it was trying to shutdown but I just hit end program.. and it shutdown.

Went to start it backup at the power button and I have no video signal (I'm using VGA btw) I couldnt believe it? Both lights on the motherboard are fine and light up, all the fans and CPU fans turn on, the HDD and DVDRW spin up, but no video signal at all out the motherboard?

I'm then thinking oh my god what have I done, I havent even touched it, so have a google as you do to try and figure out how to sort it out and come accross quite a great many posts on various boards.. and ABits own forums about these boards and then dying and no video problems and stuff. Its like OMG.. What other decent HTPC (HDMI etc) motherboards are actually out there with decent on board graphics for intel chips??? Now I'm screwed because I have the E4400 and tied to that.

I've read loads of posts of people on 3 boards and more, just google, its really not funny :-(

So anyway.. here's what I've tried. Taken 1 stick of ram out and disconnected the DVDRW. So all thats on the board is the E4400 and HDD (USB keyboard and mouse btw, onboard audio (not connected) and onboard graphics and LAN) tried 1 stick in every slot on the MB (4 of) and then tried the other stick exactly the same.. Nothing, no video at all not even for a glimmer.
    I've tried removing the battery and discharging the CMOS with the jumper on the pins.
    Powering down completely for an hour and trying again.. Nothing.
    I've had the heatsink off and the CPU out, reinstalled and tried again.. No video..

I've actually RMA'd about an hour ago to Overclockers, "What part of my last order would you like me to return?" because I have no idea!! Having read the many posts in the last hour, I'm reckoning the motherboard, but then I guess you can't rule out the RAM. My biggest problem is I only have AGP graphics cards here and DDR1 333 memory sticks available if I where to swap some components out.. None of which will fit in the Abit.

I feel so depressed, I spend 5 hours wrapping wires up and anchoring them to the case, its got to go down as one the tidiest installs ever and now it would seem all for nothing. I'm going to see what overclockers say but what can Abit do for me? Will they swap out the board? Is there anything I can try in the meantime?? I'm just worried of this talk of batch #1 and batch #2 boards and only getting a replacement thats just as bad as the original (ie just the next one on overclockers shelf) where as if Abit know of an issue and saying nothing maybe they are banging out "fixed" replacement boards and I should look toward them for a replacement.

Any ideas or reassurances must welcome!

-------
    Edit - I'll just add now that I also have no talent for overclocking and this was a simple HTPC to play DVDs upscalled and xvids etc. The board was never overclocked in the 18 hours I had it working, only the DDR voltage was changed to 2.1v. I didnt set anything else in the motherboard except the date which was like a day out and the boot priority!

Heres the casualty btw "RIP"..
    http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ediafilter=all
    Last edited by Thebatfink; 24-05-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Additional information + Pics

Thanks
    Send your details to sean@abitcomputer.co.uk

I can raise a RMA for you.

Thanks
    Hmm, thats quicker than ringing up the support line! Thanks for your prompt reply, I have raised the RMA with overclockers as they are only an hour from me and I can drive it up saturday if they are willing to let me do that for replacement. This is the quickest way of getting it changed out I think.

However, if they mess me about tomorrow I will take you up and drop you a line.

Thanks for the prompt help!

No ideas on if this could be something I have done which I can rectify myself?

Thanks
    Hi Sean,

Email sent, Overclockers wont let me take the board in by person for a replacement apparently. I have to mail it in and it will take at least 7-10 days for a replacement to be sent out once they have recieved it according to the guy on the phone. Did an RMA last night like I said and didn't get a reply today, so decided to call them.
    Very poor I say. Needless to say thats the last time I order from overclockers.

I have sent you an email for an RMA with Abit.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebatfink View Post
    Hi Sean,

Email sent, Overclockers wont let me take the board in by person for a replacement apparently. I have to mail it in and it will take at least 7-10 days for a replacement to be sent out once they have recieved it according to the guy on the phone. Did an RMA last night like I said and didn't get a reply today, so decided to call them.

Thanks again!
    overclockers have a very poor reputation, if iwere you id do some digging on the net about them

gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebatfink View Post
    Hi Sean,

Thanks again!
    You've gone for the better option anyway, my RMA with abit was very quick. The whole process was sorted within 5 days. They'll get it sorted for you a lot quicker than overclockers.

Thanks
    While I was on the phone and he told me I could return it to the store he said he had sent an email for the return. I've gotten home now as I was at work.. Surprise surprise No email. I certainly wont be using overclockers again. I brought the whole system from them minus the CPU came in at over £400 and this is the service you get? What sort of company with a store open to the public don't allow return of faulty items?!

Add me to them people talking of having a poor reputation, I won't use overclockers again. I reckon they are just going to recieve the board and then RMA it with Abit themselfs, once they have it back they will post it onto me. Rediculous, he says we dont do them in person at the store as its a busy period? Huh? I only want a replacement board?

As for Sean and Abit, I immediately emailed sean after the post above and got a reply almost immediately with the RMA form. Thats how you support your customers. Overclockers should take a leaf out of their book, might learn a few things.

Thanks for the speedy help and here's some well deserved praise.

Thread Information