• 300W supplied with case
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tech. LC-03
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hitachi 37" Plasma
      • Internet:
      • Virdin Media 10Mb BB

Fatal1ty F-I90HD display problems

I have just built a Media Center PC using an Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD primarily because of the HDMI port on the motherboard.

I have set the OS up fine, installed all the drivers on the installation CD and updated the BIOS to version m612a13.zip. I have the PC outputting video to my plasma TV through the HDMI port and the sound through thr SPDIF output.

My problem comes when I select the TV away from the PC to another input. For example if I select the SCART input then straight back to the HDMI input I get a black screen. The OS is still running because if I press buttons on the keyboard things happen behind the black screen and I can hear the relevant Windows sounds.

The only way to get the display back is to reboot the PC. The same thing happens if I turn the PC on without the HDMI channel being selected on the TV and change to the HDMI input after the PC has booted.

I have looked but found no mention of a problem like this anywhere. Has anyone else experienced anything like this ?

Thanks
    I am currently looking into the issue. I will let you know when I have more details.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • dogfoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90D
      • CPU:
      • E6700
      • Memory:
      • 800MHZ 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB Across Network
      • Case:
      • Antec Fusion
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32 Inch Sony LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24MB Down 1.3MB Up
    I've been getting the same problem. In order to wake it up, I've been putting it into standby and back bringing it back again using the MCE remote.

Thanks
    • PlymWS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD
      • CPU:
      • 3.00 Ghz P4 631
      • Memory:
      • 1Gb Corsair DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • On Board
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hitachi 37" Plasma
      • Internet:
      • Virdin Media 10Mb BB
    Yes, if I select a 720p output it is displayed fine. I can then goto hibernate and back with the 720p resolution fine. If I reboot, it defaults to the 800x600 resolution again.

Also I've noticed that if I start the computer up, or indeed shut the computer down without having the correct input selected on my TV it will also default to the 800x600 res. For example if I start the computer up with the display selected on my TV, a 720p picture is outputted. If I hibernate the computer but select away from the PC HDMI channel before the output has switched off, next time I start up I will the 800x600.

The simple answer is to keep the video channel selected on my TV however if I want to transfer a load of files to the computer I don't want to be watching the MCE desktop for half an hour and selecting the 720p output every time is a pain in the arse ( not to mention beyond the wifes capability ! )

Thanks
    I have now finshed some intial testing and had no problem switching from scart to HDMI and back again. My system always stayed on 720p and never defulted back to 800x600. I also put the system into stanby and powered back on with no problems.

This maybe an issue with your TV rather than the motherboard as I haven't heard of lot cases.

Can you let me know what the make and model of the display is so I can look into this further.

Thanks
    • PlymWS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD
      • CPU:
      • 3.00 Ghz P4 631
      • Memory:
      • 1Gb Corsair DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • On Board
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hitachi 37" Plasma
      • Internet:
      • Virdin Media 10Mb BB
    I have changed a couple of settings on the TV and have managed to get it to stay in 720p.

However the problem reoccurs when I connect through my AV receiver which is a Cambridge Audio 640R.

I haven't yet changed any settings from the defaults on the AV receiver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlymWS View Post
    I have just built a Media Center PC using an Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD primarily because of the HDMI port on the motherboard.

I have set the OS up fine, installed all the drivers on the installation CD and updated the BIOS to version m612a13.zip. I have the PC outputting video to my plasma TV through the HDMI port and the sound through thr SPDIF output.

My problem comes when I select the TV away from the PC to another input. For example if I select the SCART input then straight back to the HDMI input I get a black screen. The OS is still running because if I press buttons on the keyboard things happen behind the black screen and I can hear the relevant Windows sounds.

The only way to get the display back is to reboot the PC. The same thing happens if I turn the PC on without the HDMI channel being selected on the TV and change to the HDMI input after the PC has booted.

I have looked but found no mention of a problem like this anywhere. Has anyone else experienced anything like this ?
    I have exactly the same problem with my LCD. Many more with the same problem on the swedish forum Minhembio.com. Can't link because a stupid 5 post rule.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABIT Sean View Post
    I have now finshed some intial testing and had no problem switching from scart to HDMI and back again. My system always stayed on 720p and never defulted back to 800x600. I also put the system into stanby and powered back on with no problems.

This maybe an issue with your TV rather than the motherboard as I haven't heard of lot cases.

Can you let me know what the make and model of the display is so I can look into this further.
    Doubt this has to do with the TV as many with different displays have the same problem, I have a Mirai DTL-642E500. Reported on Minhembio.com/forum that the problem occur on Panasonic PV70 aswell

Thanks
    I am still looking into the problem, but I only have a few HDTVs to test with and so far they all seem to work fine.

I must point out if this is a driver issue it may take longer to sort out. As all the display and chipset drivers are developed by ATi not abit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABIT Sean View Post
    I am still looking into the problem, but I only have a few HDTVs to test with and so far they all seem to work fine.

I must point out if this is a driver issue it may take longer to sort out. As all the display and chipset drivers are developed by ATi not abit.
    What resolution are you running? 1920x1080 ?

Thanks
    I tried various resolutions including 1920x1080

Thanks
    Also been unable to switch from HDMI on this m/board in my MediaCentre, back to another video source, and then back to HDMI on media centre. End up having to us the VGA cable, which is fine, but one of the reason why I bought this board was the HDMI so I could have picture in picture on my LCD (Sony KDL46X2000). Even when booting up it is hit and miss if the HDMI video will kick in, or sometimes, the screen goes off during boot, and then nothing. Have checked all my cable, connections, etc - made no difference.

Thanks
    I've installed the latest video drivers from ATI and I notice a big difference. It almost works as intended!

Thanks
    Ok, here's a funny thing....

Went to Device Manager on my Windows Vista PC and looked up the display adapter and it said it was a Radeon Xpress 1300. The driver was one of Microsoft's own, and Vista installed the driver when I installed the OS.

Went to the ATI website and could not find a driver for the Radeon Express 1300.

Looked at the box for my motherboard (Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD) and the manual and both said that my display adapter was a Radeon Xpress 1250.

Went back to ATI website, and downloaded the driver:

ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/integrated-vista32.html

Put http at the start - can't do it here because I'm prevented because i've posted less than 5 posts

Installed the driver on my PC, and my screen went dead "no signal" for what seemed like an eternity, although PC HDD light was still flickering like mad. I was still on VGA connect to PC.

Screen then burst back into life, and then the PC said did I want to reboot. I said yes.

Did reboot and then flicked my TV on to the HDMI channel which PC is connected to (as well as VGA). Hey presto, HDMI now working.

Went back to Device Manager in Vista, and now the display adapter is showing that it is a Radeon Xpress 1200 Series (not a 1250, which is what it says on the box).

No, all I need to do is work out how to get the flaming sound to work. I thought HDMI carried both video *AND* sound - somebody see where I'm missing a trick here??
    Last edited by Novice69; 16-07-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Update

Thanks
    You need the HDMI sound driver (also from the ATi site), this gives you a choice of sound output from the analog jack, optical out or HDMI. I've done this...it works!

Thanks
    I to am having trouble with this board, i have a new antec fusion black and cannot get the lcd to work on the internal usb, or the volume knob to work at all, i also can make the pc BSOD at will by doing anything that requires alittle bit of graphical power play a dvd or even the vista pc perfomance test... any ideas anyone..

Thread Information