Thread: Abit IP35 Pro XE - What RAM and PSU?

Registered+
    Thanks

Abit IP35 Pro XE - What RAM and PSU?

As I'm European, I may as well start a thread here, now that I've found this forum. Hi there, nice to be here!

Background
    I'm about two order parts for two systems based on an Abit IP35 Pro XE + E8400 combo. One system will be a gaming PC (with an 8800GTS) the other one will be an office PC. The gaming rig will be OC'ed (air-cooled w/ TRUE and an 800 to 1200 RPM 120mm fan), the office one will at this point not. Neither system will be used for benching, so no ridiculously over-priced recommendations, please. I do want a solid, rock stable, good quality RAM however (so no cheap no-name brand either).

For the Abit Staff: The deciding factor for going Abit was definitely the advanced uGuru hard-ware/BIOS fan controller as it's very popular with the silent PC community. (Otherwise I'd have gone with a Gigabyte EP45. Abit, why are you so slow with releasing P45 based boards? I fear you're losing customers due to this.)

RAM / Memory
    Now the first question is, what DDR2 memory should I get for the different systems?
    Both systems should be outfitted with 2x2GB (so they can be expanded to 4x2GB if need be). The memory modules should be supported by the IP35 Pro XE out-of-the-box (they should work at stock settings without any problems). RAM timings and tweaking is not my cup of tea, so preferably some RAM that doesn't require too much tinkering with to get working properly (ie "easy" RAM, I'm not a bencher). Let me clarify: I do know how to set the four basic timings, vdimm and other settings if I have a key to go by, but that's about it. I would only touch the four basic timings for personal tweaking as I really don't know much about all the 20 other ram timings. To me "A64 tweaker" meant big confusion.
    The DDR2 brands available to me are: Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, Twinmos, Patriot and Kingston.

Out of these models, what should I pick for the gaming rig?

I intend to use a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme (TRUE), so any ram kits with too exotic heatsinks that would obstruct the TRUE are out. I would like a safe PC6400-ish suggestion for the Office PC, unless the better gaming rig RAM is only slightly higher in price. Any RAM that either Komplett.se (almost) has in stock or PCB.se (almost) has in stock is fine. Lots of Kingston and Corsair PC6400 RAM is also available from a third shop GNT.se (you do need a login however).

By the way, is the IP35 Pro "ABIT'S Official Compatable Ram List" still valid for IP35 Pro XE? And why can't I seem to get the link to work? For how long are the servers estimated to be down (I was hoping to place the order tomorrow).

PSU / Power Supply
    As this is going to be a silent build (or at least a very quiet one), the choices lie between:

Thanks a bunch, looking forward to play around with uGuru!

~ Kris

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD

Re: Abit IP35 Pro XE - What RAM and PSU?

Wow lots of questions there

Well I have the OCZ PC8000 reaper x , however that has some rather exotic cooling on it, so it may obstruct your TRue HS.

I have a corsair HX 620 Watt PSU. This is a brilliant PSU, However the cables are a little lackluster!

The Enermax MODU 82+ has some great cables.

At this moment in time I am writing a 'Living Review on this PSU'

Enermax MODU 82+ PSU Review - Clunk's Forums.

This review will be expanded daily.
    I can assure you that this PSU is very quiet.

The RAM you are asking about is too high a spec for your requirements ,since your not in to benching and want a mild overclock only.

Try the COrsair Twinx Ram

Buy 4GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5rubbishTWIN2X4096-6400C5 from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

An alternative would be

Buy 4GB OCZ Kit (2x 2GB)rubbishOCZ2G8004GK from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

Both I have tested and work with the IP35 PRO rev 1.1 at least (I havent tested with the XE as I do not have that yet)

:Hint Nathan

gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmm... Well, a mild OC is whatever it lets me have without being too noisy. So it may end up anywhere from 3 Ghz to 4 Ghz and since RAM is cheap (like $10 difference between PC6400 and PC8500) I want PC8500 for the gaming rig. I most likely won't make full use of it though, but I just don't know yet (this will be my very first Conroe let alone 45nm system).

edit: I think I'm getting the Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB my gaming rig and Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 for the Office PC.

Thank you!
    Last edited by krille; 09-06-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD

To give you a clue about ram usage

I have ocz reaper x 8000 and when ocing a wolfie 8500 to 4.5 and keeping the ram onto a 1:1 ratio, the ram speed only gfoes upto 940mhz. So to give you a idea, no you wont use the full potetial of 8000 or 8000 ram(oh and the cpu was on water)

gilgamesh
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Thread Information