Thread: An-M2HD/MCP68 IDE problem

Thanks

An-M2HD/MCP68 IDE problem

Hi, wandering if someone can help....

PC Spec - An-m2HD/AMD 4800+ X2/Corsair 2X1gb @880Mhz/Maxtor Diamond 10 sata 160gb 7200/8800 GTS 640MB/corsair 750w psu..

Problem - I have had this system for over a year now, everything runs fine (games/movies/encoding etc), but in device manager under IDE/ATAPI Controller I basically have 6 items listed, 2 primary controllers, 2 secondary controllers and 2 primary PCIE controllers. Problem is they all have microsoft drivers from 2001. Various machines I work on always have either Intel or the relevant driver fro the Primary controller.

I have installed the latest drivers for all devices on my system, but cannot change this controller to the MCP68 Nvidia Nforce device, no matter which driver I try and install. You may think this isn't a problem, but soon as I go onto the start menu I get a delay when showing the contents, ie programs, accesories etc....Or when I access different options in games I get lag and can here the hard drive whiring away.....

I regulary defrag, clean my system using relevant tools, it is as though I get a lag when accessing the hard drive, which Im thinkin is to do with the controller for the hard drive!!!?!??!

I have OC'ed the cpu to just under 3Ghz, from 2.5, so Im also thinking I could be gettting some sort of bottle neck...but again not sure..

Sorry for the long post guys but im hoping someone can throw some light on this for me.....

Many thanks in advance

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Re: An-M2HD/MCP68 IDE problem

I don't want to patronise you, just need to double check - have you got the nvidia chipset driver from the nvidia website? I'm not sure what 'MCP68' is - although it's listed on abit's website.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I'm reckoning if you're running XP this is the driver you need: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nforc..._15.24_uk.html

It does definately sound like a driver issue, anyway. I wouldn't trust abit's website completely personally, often they have out of date drivers for various things at least in the past.
    Dreaming

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

Thanks

Hiya, thanks for your reply, I have installed that driver pack, 15.24 from Nvidia, which it states has the Sata IDE driver. After installing 15.24 pack I still have the standard microsoft driver in device manager. MCP68 is the chipset i think.

Even if i manually install the driver thru device manager, and point to the extracted sata IDE driver from the 15.24 pack, says no driver for this device has been found!!!

Its a really weird one as I have been trying to resolve this for a long time, and lately the Abit forum seems to be down or unavailable....

I dont really want to re-install XP using the F6 method, but I shouldn't need to unless I want raid!!

Thanks

*bump*

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Yea if you haven't heard Abit have had some 'difficulties' lets say in another company buying the brand, and half the designers / developers were poached by gigabyte and asus - I think they're going to be wrapping up their mainboard operation soon because it doesn't make as much money as digital clocks it seems.

Have you tried right clicking the devices and removing them, restarting the PC, windows goes 'oh no!' and installs its own MS drivers, then reinstalling the nvidia drivers over the top? Although I don't want your PC to break! It's just something I've done in the past to rectify hardware issues. You might have more luck posting this in the hardware forum or asking a mod to move it as there's more traffic there.

I take it you're running XP aren't you?
    Dreaming

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

Thanks

Hey thanks for getting bac kto me dream....

My bad I remember reading somewhere about Abit, damn shame that!!!

Yeah running XP SP3, Haven't tried that but will when I get home..

I tried manually installing the Sata IDE controller driver from the 15.24 pack, after restart got BSOD, so have been thinking of doing the same again, but cahnging the sata settings in BIOS to AHCI, see if that works....

Failing that I think the only way to get the controllers changed so to re-install XP and use the F6 option, but Im gonna lose way to much stuff!!!!

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Thing is, it shouldn't be necessary - that's only for installing the drivers prior to windows installation. So as long as you can install windows ok, thereshould be no need at all to reinstall them that way. I'm not sure whether AHCI will help either, because that's the way the BIOS handles the information and you're trying to get at the way windows handles it...
    Dreaming

Thread Information