While trying to get Windows 7 Pro 64bit installed on my computer, I get a black/blank screen near the end of the install after one of the reboots. The computer posts, shows the Windows 7 logo and then just goes black. The hard drive keeps running and is being accessed (for awhile), so I know the computer has not locked, but I cannot get the screen to come on.

I am installing from the $30 student download of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade. I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft and used the Microsoft tool to burn it to a DVD.

I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ CPU with 4GB of RAM in an ABIT KN8-SLI motherboard; no overclocking or anything like that. I have a single 1TB hard drive that I am doing a clean/custom install to (no other partitions on the drive). My video card is an NVidia 7600GS; it has both VGA and DVI out. My monitor is a ViewSonic VP920b (I have no other monitors). I normally have both the VGA and DVI connections plugged into the monitor, but I usually have the monitor and windows set to use DVI.

The Windows 7 upgrade advisor reports that my hardware is compatible with Windows 7 64bit.

I’ve tried installing with just the DVI cable connected.

I’ve tried installing with just the VGA cable connected.

I've tried redownloading the disk image, burning a new disk and reinstalling from the new disk.

I’ve tried hitting F8 at boot and starting in low resolution mode.

I’ve tried switching from one output to the other and back while I see the black screen.

I’ve tried installing with all other devices (printer, Bluetooth, scanner, etc.) disconnected.

I’ve tried booting to safe mode: it looks like it is going to work, but then I get an error that setup cannot be completed in safe mode.

I’ve made sure my BIOS is up to date.

This computer runs Vista Ultimate 32bit perfectly. I’ve left it running for a month, while doing tons of gaming, etc., and I never get any errors, lockups or reboots, so I am pretty sure the hardware is solid. The most common reason I have to reboot is the monthly Microsoft patch releases.

Does anyone have any suggestions?