Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AB9 installing windows problem

Thanks
    no, it would apply to mobos using the same onboard controller.
    e.g. if you remember the original SATA DVD drives basically only worked on Intel chipsets & not VIA or nForce.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Pretty sure that's down to the controllers not supporting/allowing boot from SATA Opticals, not an issue as such with the controller on the Optical drive.
    .:. X2 @ 2.9 .:. E6600 L628 @ 4.73 .:. AB9 @ 512 FSB .:. E6300 @ 100% OC Stable

Thanks
    I too bought an AB9 and I have tried using two different drives, one a Pioneer 120s and the other a Liteon DVD burner and used the floppy/F6 but no luck

I am sending this POS back to ware I bought it for a full refund

Thanks
    Use a SATA optical drive.
    Don't have any issues with drivers, installing windows etc then IDE-SATA convertor works fine too. Just use the onboard controller not the JMicron.

The AB9's are great boards REALLY stable and lovely to overclock. Shame people aren't willing to spend a little time to work around the quirks. Performance is great from them too, the lack of 1333 strap @ 400 FSB helps performance out nicely

Thanks
    • redlight's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad 6600@3.1
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB Samsung 400GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580w
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens 22" + 42" plasma
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Tiscali
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    I too bought an AB9 and I have tried using two different drives, one a Pioneer 120s and the other a Liteon DVD burner and used the floppy/F6 but no luck
    When you made the drive the boot device in the bios did you scroll down to the actual drive or did you just set it to CDROM? Because you have to actually use the named device to get it to work.

I agree with HIGHLAND3R they are great boards. It just takes a bit of messing around and patience to get it right. My problem was getting my DVD to burn at a decent speed with the jmicron drivers easily sorted after a bit of googling.

Thanks
    Yes I scrolled down and enabled the appropriate device and used the latest jmicron drivers

I dont have a SATA optical drive and I should not have to purchase one, if abit had not abandoned this board maybe so many ppl would not be returning them

Thanks
    • redlight's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad 6600@3.1
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB Samsung 400GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580w
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens 22" + 42" plasma
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Tiscali
    The Abit AB9 has its quirks just like any other enthusiast board. If you are buying a board such as this all you have to do is Google and you will find every flaw(if it is a flaw) will be posted somewhere. Before I part with my money I like to know what I am buying. None of these types of board from any manufacturer is perfect. Half the fun is tweaking it to your own hardware. As for F6 not working that is more likely the keyboard than anything else. Before starting a major upgrade like this then having a few basic tools for the job always helps. Having a spare floppy drive around is always a help(tip they are good for flashing the bios as well) and a working PS/2 keyboard and mouse irons out any problems with USB or wireless(why anybody tries to set up from scratch with a wireless keyboard or mouse is beyond me anyway). There is a big hint that you may need a floppy drive as they give you the sata/raid drivers on a floppy disk As for the IDE on the AB9 well it is in a stupid place but it works and the board is not designed for IDE and as I had already checked around I knew this before I bought it. I also knew about the jmicron drivers no big deal just work with the standard controllers first and set them up later. If I get a board from any manufacturer that works without a hitch then I just think myself lucky and when I dont I just think here we go again smile and start the fun part and work through it. I dont just pack it back into its box and send it back to the manufacturer and blame them for my incompetence. If I wanted an easy life I would not buy an enthusiasts board. But wheres the fun in that?

Happy New Year to all at HEXUS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redlight View Post
    The Abit AB9 has its quirks just like any other enthusiast board. If you are buying a board such as this all you have to do is Google and you will find every flaw(if it is a flaw) will be posted somewhere. Before I part with my money I like to know what I am buying. None of these types of board from any manufacturer is perfect. Half the fun is tweaking it to your own hardware. As for F6 not working that is more likely the keyboard than anything else. Before starting a major upgrade like this then having a few basic tools for the job always helps. Having a spare floppy drive around is always a help(tip they are good for flashing the bios as well) and a working PS/2 keyboard and mouse irons out any problems with USB or wireless(why anybody tries to set up from scratch with a wireless keyboard or mouse is beyond me anyway). There is a big hint that you may need a floppy drive as they give you the sata/raid drivers on a floppy disk As for the IDE on the AB9 well it is in a stupid place but it works and the board is not designed for IDE and as I had already checked around I knew this before I bought it. I also knew about the jmicron drivers no big deal just work with the standard controllers first and set them up later. If I get a board from any manufacturer that works without a hitch then I just think myself lucky and when I dont I just think here we go again smile and start the fun part and work through it. I dont just pack it back into its box and send it back to the manufacturer and blame them for my incompetence. If I wanted an easy life I would not buy an enthusiasts board. But wheres the fun in that?
    That is just a load of rubbish

I have now had 8 different boards that support Conroe, 7 of them allowed me to install windows without any major dramas, I do NOT buy an enthusiast board expecting fundamental fatal flaws......................I DO expect a board NOT to make my life difficult.....................thats why I pay top dollar for P5W DH, P5B Dlx, DFI X975G, GA-965P DS3P etc etc

Thanks
    That is just a load of rubbish

I have now had 8 different boards that support Conroe, 7 of them allowed me to install windows without any major dramas, I do NOT buy an enthusiast board expecting fundamental fatal flaws......................I DO expect a board NOT to make my life difficult.....................thats why I pay top dollar for P5W DH, P5B Dlx, DFI X975G, GA-965P DS3P etc etc

Nope, its all true. It's your loss tho, once you get around the quirks the AB9's a great board.
    Things should only improve with the updated version with ICH 7 chipset which is due out soon.
    Another top notch mobo from Abit. KX7-333r was an AWSOME board, NF7-S 2.0 was too as is this AB9. Sure they've made a few poorer boards but the AB9 certainly aint one of em.

Thanks
    at least 2 of those have native IDE anyway.
    there's also a post on Anandtech from a guy looking for a mobo without JMicron (on his 2nd DS3 & can't get his optical out of PIO mode ...)

How's the GA-965P DS3P? I haven't seen any of those in retail yet.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    at least 2 of those have native IDE anyway.
    there's also a post on Anandtech from a guy looking for a mobo without JMicron (on his 2nd DS3 & can't get his optical out of PIO mode ...)

How's the GA-965P DS3P? I haven't seen any of those in retail yet.
    Thats a common problem with quite a few 965P boards, the fix is to use a different version of the Intel Inf update and to try using a different SATA port

The DS3P had a similar problem, very easily fixed and a very good board with nearly no Vdroop @ high overclocks

Thanks
    The DS3P had a similar problem, very easily fixed and a very good board with nearly no Vdroop @ high overclocks
    I've got to say that I'm very surprised that a 2nd generation 965 board that hasn't even made it into retail yet in many places still has that problem.
    We are talking about http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...=GA-965P-DS3P?

if it is true then it's kind of undermining your statement "I DO expect a board NOT to make my life difficult.....................thats why I pay top dollar for P5W DH, P5B Dlx, DFI X975G, GA-965P DS3P etc etc"

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    I've got to say that I'm very surprised that a 2nd generation 965 board that hasn't even made it into retail yet in many places still has that problem.
    We are talking about
    if it is true then it's kind of undermining your statement "I DO expect a board NOT to make my life difficult.....................thats why I pay top dollar for P5W DH, P5B Dlx, DFI X975G, GA-965P DS3P etc etc"
    STOP trying to change focus on the reason for this thread...............its about the AB9 POS that has been abandoned by abit

At least you can get to install windoz with the ga-965P DS3P, the IDE problem is an easy fix even for a nub with a little research

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    Like I have said before, I have the AB9 Pro as does a friend, we have both had no problems boot installing XP off optical drives either SATA or IDE, there is, however, a problem with performance on Jmicron PATA but this is easily overcome by installing the correct drivers. This is not an Abit issue as such since Intel did not design PATA onto the 965, so all manufacturers have had to deal with this shortcoming with varying levels of sucess.

Thanks
    STOP trying to change focus on the reason for this thread...............its about the AB9 POS that has been abandoned by abit
    it hasn't & you must admit that you've completely undermined your argument.

At least you can get to install windoz with the ga-965P DS3P, the IDE problem is an easy fix even for a nub with a little research
    other people seem to manage to install Windows on the AB9 using an IDE optical.

& I'm still surprised that you've got a DS3P as they don't appear to be available in the UK or on Newegg/Zipzoomfly etc. yet.
    Last edited by BUFF; 02-01-2007 at 01:34 PM.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thread Information