Thread: If you think you are an expert.. try to figure this out

Thanks

If you think you are an expert.. try to figure this out

Ok..first of all i think my Abit AN8 Fatal1ty mobo has been possessed lately or something..

Some months ago my computer locked up for some reason so i had to do a hard turn off (5 seconds pressing the button).
    When i turned it on it wouldnt show up anything on the screen.. the HDD activity and Power leds were on but the PC was just locked up with nothing on the screen.

I tried several times doing the same thing (turn on and off) and after that it would just lockup on the POST screen..
    Ok, time to clear the cmos.. i cleared the cmos about 4 times till i got it running with some BIOS checksum errors and it said it was loading fail-safe defaults etc..i had to clear once more and load optimized defaults on the BIOS.

And it hapenned again some weeks later after a hard turn off once more.

When i got my ipod for christmas it would lockup on the POST screen if it was connected when i disconnected the iPod it bootted up fine.

Yesterday night i was listneing to some music when my PC suddently locked up and i had to do another hard turn off, again.. and guess what? yeah you guessed it right, it wouldnt boot up anymore it wouldnt even reach the POST screen (the screen was just black).

I went to bed and today when i arrived home from school i cleared the cmos (lol) and tried turning it on, it reached the postscreen but locked up, i tried again and now it wouldnt even reach the POST..after several turn ons and offs and some clear CMOSes in the midle it was working BUT when it reached windows it gave me a blue screen saying something about "MACHINE_CHECK", i researched on google ( i love it ) and found out this was a kinda bad BSOD..
    That had NEVER hapenned.

After that it would lockup with the blank screen again i turned the PSU off, waited a bit and it would run again, this time i used the live ubuntu CD and it worked smooth as silk..no problems whatsoever, to exit i performed a decent turn off process jurst in case and.. here i am my PC is working again, windows booted again.

Now.. what the hell is going on here? Its gotta be my mobo... memory, CPU, graphics card and HDD work perfectly fine (and i had no bips).

I dont really get it.. is a hard turn off that bad for the system? Is my BIOS chip somewhat messed up or what?

Im afraid to turn my PC off now.. lol

Thanks for your Patience.

Thanks
    Hey dude,

guess what, i had nearly the same problem with my pc. I ran some games in windows xp and suddenly....bluescreen. OK, tryed to press poweron button for about 10 seconds, but nothing happened, shut down the psu and turned pc on again. But it just would not boot, cause the bios has reset itsself, even clearing the cmos did not help, after about a hundred tries it booted up again but with bluescreen after about 5 minutes. I now found out that it was one of two memory sticks that somehow was damaged...

To solve your problem, I'd go the hard way :

load drivers for everything you have installed as hardware, means:

latest graphic card drivers, latest chipset drivers, latest usb drivers, latest sound drivers, just look on abit's main site and search for your mainboard.

Also, your problem sounds like your bios is somehow screwed or has a bug or whatever. try to update to the latest bios version for your motherboard, if you know how to flash ;9 if you don't, feel free to ask me

Make sure you have also installed the latest updates for windows

greetz

Thread Information