• 2x2 gigs (4 gigs) of OCZ REAPER X Ram
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vvikoo 8800GT (1GIG MAX)
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Mountain MODS U2 UFO CASE original top WATER COOLED TO HELL!!
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD

ABiT AB9 QUAD GT Review PART 1

In a previous thread I mentioned that this review will be broken down into parts, and then updated once I have time. The reason for which is that I am testing A FEW heatsink ideas for the IN932 max of which I will update once the test results are out.

Abit have very kindly sent out a ab9 quad gt which is the replacement for the AB9 Pro so let us see what has been changed and what the design is like.

The AB9 QUAD GT

As we know this board uses the Intel 965 chipset, so officialy its a ATI crossfire board only (no OFFICIAL SLI support)

I will not go on about the bumf in the box, as that is all just standard, so lets get on with the mainboard itself.

The first thing I noticed is that the motherboard design is lightyears beyond the old AB9 Pro.

As when looked closer at the board many things just became apparent to me.

Firstly is the placement of the IDE connector.
    You may have noticed by the image above that instead of the IDE connector being placed next to the PCI slots which made NO SENSE at all it is no placed at right angles on the trailing edge of the motherboard.

Another thing I really liked was that though the firewire header is on not next to the USB Headers the fact is that it is still on the edge of the motheboard, therefore preventing the cables being stretched over the board itsself.

The same is for the USB headers.

Once again we have that 'Pulse chip' as with the IN932 MAX to control flow digitally, so we also now know that wasnt unique to the NVidia chipset design, it looks like this will be the way forward for ALL abit top-end boards from now on.

Another thing I have noticed is that the heatsink over the PWMS' is actually COPPER yes thats right FULL copper and not the FAUX copper effect type.

However I have not looked at the northbridge heatsink yet to see if this is really copper, I will keep you posted on this.

The Sata ports although not at right-angles like the IN932 MAX are still close to the edge of the board

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71909665@N00/375467035/

Once again abit have included the EZ-Clear COS switch which is always a welcome function in my book

On a purlEy cosmetic point of view I kind of life this cobalt blue effect on the board, as shown by the overclocking strips.

THe only real major gripe I have is the placement of the molex connector for crossfire mode.

As I mentionEd before abit have obviousLy put some thought into the design of this motherboard, which I am pleased with, obviously they have listened to their fans.

OK thats it for part one.

Next is Initial BIOS impressions.

gilgamesh
    Last edited by gilgamesh; 22-05-2007 at 11:16 AM.
    In the immortal words of Ali-G "Is it cos I is an Overclocker?"

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
    In a previous thread I mentioned that this review will be broken down into parts, and then updated once I have time. The reason for which is that I am testing soem heatsink ideas for the IN932 max of which I will update once the test results are out.

Abit have very kindly sent out a ab9 quad gt which is the replacement for the AB9 Pro so let us see what has been changed and what the design is like.

The AB9 QUAD GT

As we know this board uses the Intel 965 chipset, so officaly its a ATO crossfire board only (no OFFICIAL SLI support)

I will not go on about the bumf in the box as that is all just standard, so lets get on with the mainboard itself.

The first thing I noticed is that the motherboard design is lightyears beyond the old AB9 Pro.

As when looked closer at the board many things just became apparent to me.

Firstly is the placement of the IDE connector.
    You may have noticed by the image above that instead of the IDE connector being placed next to the PCI slots which made NO SENSE at all it is no placed at right angles on the trailing edge of the motherboard.

Another thing I really liked was that though the firewire header is on not next to the USB Headers the fact is that it is still on the edge of the motheboard, therefore preventing the cables being stretched over the board itsself.

The same is for the USB headers.

Once again we have that 'Pulse chip' as with the IN932 MAX to control flow digitally, so we also now know that wasnt unique to the NVidia chipset design, it looks like this will be the way forward for ALL abit top-end boards from now on.

Another thing I have noticed is that the heatsink over the PWMS' is actually COPPER yes thats right FULL copper and not the copper effect type.

However I have not looked at the northbridge heatsink yet to see if this is really copper, I will keep you posted on this.

The Sata ports although not at right-angles like the IN932 MAX are still close to the edge of the board

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71909665@N00/375467035/

Once again abit have included the EZ-Clear COS switch which is always a welcome function in my book

On a purley cosmetic point of view I kind of life this cobalt blue effect on the board, as shown by the overclocking strips.

THe only real major gripe I have is the placement of the molex connector for crossfire mode.

As I mentioend before abit have obvioulsy put some thought into the design of this motherboard, which I am pleased with, obviously they have listened to their fans.

OK thats it for part one.

Next is Initial BIOS impressions.

gilgamesh
    woops a few spelling mistakes

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)
    why do the pictures in your 'reviews' never show up...?
    and whats all this 'gilgamesh modded' rubbish about...swapping out the tim on the heatsinks on any new board isnt a new trick...
    What I would be interested in is Abit doing the tim for us so we didnt have too.... :/

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by vrykyl View Post
    why do the pictures in your 'reviews' never show up...?
    and whats all this 'gilgamesh modded' rubbish about...swapping out the tim on the heatsinks on any new board isnt a new trick...
    What I would be interested in is Abit doing the tim for us so we didnt have too.... :/

I havent modded the board at all inthis one.

I cant test out to see if the images load in this review as my work has blocked image viewing.

However

Ifyou need to see images for both the AB9 QUAD GT and the IN932 Max you can find them at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71909665@N00/

the gilgamesh modded is jsut my sig and thats all, by the way I never said it was a new trick , if you ahve taken the time to read my reviews properly I did SAY that iwas an OLD trick but a good one, please check the other review.

gilgamesh
    Last edited by gilgamesh; 01-02-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    • Richh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 8700K delid, H115i Platinum
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator GT 3200
      • Storage:
      • Loads
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 FTW+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • Custom open frame
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro x64 / occasionally Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ROG Swift PG279Q, Sony 48A9
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
    the gilgamesh modded is jsut my sig and thats all, by the way I never said it was a new trick , if you ahve taken the time to read my reviews properly I did SAY that iwas an OLD trick but a good one, please check the other review. gilgamesh
    In danger of taking the thread off-topic here, but seeing as you've opened this up, must say that claiming a board that's had its factory thermal interfaces replaced by some Arctic Silver as "modded" is pushing it a tad IMO.

Back in the 440BX/815 days when there wasn't any thermal interface between the northbridge and its heatsink, shoving some paste in was pretty much standard practice if you wanted to overclock, certainly not something that'd be considered a "mod" as such, especially at a time when wholesale component modification and BIOS customisation was commonplace, but to each their own I guess.
    BH6, BX6 2.0, BE6, BE6-II 2.0, ST6-RAID, BE6-II 2.0 (again), BD7-RAID, BD7II-RAID, IC7-G, IC7 Max3, AB9 QuadGT, IX38 QuadGT. IX58... Oh, b*ll*cks. RIP Abit

Thanks
    Any updates mate?
    .:. X2 @ 2.9 .:. E6600 L628 @ 4.73 .:. AB9 @ 512 FSB .:. E6300 @ 100% OC Stable

Thanks
    • gilgamesh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • abit IP35 PRo
      • CPU:
      • 8500 wolfdale
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GIG WD SATA 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Gigabyte ODIN 1200W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • cibox 22"WD LCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland3r View Post
    Any updates mate?
    Ever so sorry mate I have been off work sick with a virus. Have only net connection at work mate.

In addtion my review has been delayed with test results fro mteh modded IN932 max. I have just done another mod of the motherboard with fans that abit have sent me and I have totally replaced the heatpipes.

OK I will post a seperate thread on this IN932 mod inc images (hope they work this time grrrrrrrrrrrr)

You will find the test results interesting, whats more you should be able to order the parts from abit to do your own changes buddy.

Gilgamesh

Thread Information