Thread: Gemstar Guide Plus

Thanks

Gemstar Guide Plus

I have an AIW Rage 128 card I just installed under XPSP2, but I can't find the GemStar Guide Plus software to install from either the website or CD.

I've owned a few AIW cards ever since they're came out, so I'm not sure which CD it might be on for one; second, some of the CD's choke (freeze then quit) under XP saying it can't find the hardware when running setup.exe

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ATi Technologies Multimedia Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi Epi2,
    That is a really old product and so some of the newer drivers probably don't support it. To get it working you'll have to download the intended driver (or use the CD it came with). Regarding GemStar Guide+, we don't have a download link for it from the website because it's not a free piece of software that you can just get. It should be on the CD that came with your product. Hope this helps!
    Multimedia Mike

Thanks
    Hi Mike,

I have owned quite a few AIW cards over the years and have a stack of ATI cd's.

I've looked on all of them trying to find it, but nothing comes up in the search, would you happen to know which CD it's on by the number or some other identification on the CD?

Maybe even the filename and how to extract/install JUST the gemstar sw and not the rest of the drivers.

Thanks,
    Epi2

ATi Technologies Multimedia Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi Epi2,
    Check if the products you have were actually supposed to have Gemstar on them. If you have really old cards, I'm not sure if they all came with it. Go through all your CDs and if it's there it should be on the CD under the folder:
    install -> Gemstar

If you can't find it, let me know what's the newest card you have and I'll check if it was supposed to have Gemstar on it.
    Multimedia Mike

Thanks
    Epi2,

I found it on the Catalyst Software CD (mine was copyright 2002 - came with an All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro) - choose the custom setup and uncheck everything else. It's the last option on the list.

You've probaby found it by now, but this is the second time I've reloaded my system and the second time I've spent several hours looking for Guide Plus. Maybe this post will keep some else from wasting their time looking for it.

Nancy

Thanks
    Hi Nancy,

I eventually found it, but the problem is that the version I have doens't like XP
    and the db was always corrupted, unable to update the application (only with failure notices), etc. Thanks anyway =)

So, I guess I'm just SOL!

LOL,
    epi...

Thanks
    I'm having the same issue I have the Gemstar software on my installation cd for my TV Wonder when ever i try to install it i get all kinds of fun error messages like

Error Number 0x80040707

Unknown Error

Thanks

Gemstar

Quote Originally Posted by dehydorn View Post
    I'm having the same issue I have the Gemstar software on my installation cd for my TV Wonder when ever i try to install it i get all kinds of fun error messages like

Error Number 0x80040707

Unknown Error
    Mine just started not downloading new files it will go thru the motios then say no new programs available to check the computer date and zipcode. The next day it will download but does not get friday only sat thru thursday.

Thanks

Re: Gemstar Guide Plus

I just purchased USB ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Dual Tuner. I also have a similar problem trying to get any GEMStar information/software. I to have searched my orginal installtion cd as well as the extras. I am a Canadian user, so from what I've read there isn't many EPG still running. However I have a RCA Tv with guide plus built in and it still works great. So I was hoping someone could give me some ideas to try. Having a PVR system where you can't find the programs you wish to flag is quite a pain. I've been a long time ATI fan, but this has really turned me off.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Gemstar Guide Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium177 View Post
    I just purchased USB ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Dual Tuner. I also have a similar problem trying to get any GEMStar information/software. I to have searched my orginal installtion cd as well as the extras. I am a Canadian user, so from what I've read there isn't many EPG still running. However I have a RCA Tv with guide plus built in and it still works great. So I was hoping someone could give me some ideas to try. Having a PVR system where you can't find the programs you wish to flag is quite a pain. I've been a long time ATI fan, but this has really turned me off.
    Hey Lithium,
    The problem you are experiencing is essentially the same as anyone (like my self who recently ran into a problem with GEMSTAR GUIDE PLUS+ System - ATI (Guide Plus) and having to re-install or In your case do a new installation.
    GOOD NEWS!!! The EPG is still up & functioning. You need to do a small registry change to get it working though. Don't bother asking ATI for help they no longer support it, and you'll waste TWO days waiting for that information to reach you in an email.
    ===============================================================
    I started a thread in the HEXUS forum but we didn't solve it over here (pretty quiet around here)... the important post is the second one where I link it over to RAGE3d.com
    I post it here just for reference:
    http://forums.hexus.net/ati-all-wond...m-gemstar.html
    =========================================================================
    So will you be able to get a working GEMSTAR GUIDE PLUS WORKING...YES!

Over at Rage3d.com we solved the problem of the Guide plus not getting updates. (Who it will affect: Anyone that tried to do a installtion of Guide Plus from now on, --OR-- like me anyone that had/has Guide Plus crash and has to re-install to fix it.
    THE PROBLEM:
    BASICALLY, the listing server is DOWN so when Guide plus phones home for the latest up & running site to get the EPG from it gets NO ANSWER, PROBABLY FOREVER.

HOWEVER kind users @ Rage 3d posted the latest URL and where it's located & we pieced together a way to get it working. (Where you'll have to manually edit it into the registry ...if you are not really tech savvy it's not as bad as it sounds) after the correct URL is filled in. You'll be able to get the updates. You may have to do my little work around if you've already tried to get the review; just read through this thread: It's only 2 pages & i've successfully repeated my instructions on more than 6 computers.

Here's the LINK:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...post1335765316

P.S.
    I've tried contacting them but they have been bought out & recently again have been bought out so... no signs they will ever bother to get the listing server up again & i'm worried to much harassing might cause them to pull the thing off. I spent a lot of time reading and despite the switch over to Digital....they (at least the company that last owned them; stated they would continue to post the information). So far so good! Just updated listing an six hours ago.

Thread Information