Thread: Mac or no Mac ?

Thanks

Talking Mac or no Mac ?

Hello all,

I have always been a sort of a fan of Apple. I dont know why, i have never ever used one. But they seem so nice, i dont know why but oh well.

I currently run a very powerfull workstation and have no reason to sell it or to get an Apple. I would however like to try an Apple in the near future.

Please tell me guys; Why do you choose Apple ? What do you like so much about them ? Is it the OS ?

I am so bored, i already went from stock to water to phase change and now dual. Would it be sorta fun to have a Apple ( not the Ipod...lol no need for that)

-Flo

Thanks
    Personally, probably, because it was different. I'm quite bored with usual PCs, though I haven't done the real modding stuff that you seem to. I go through budget computers like you wouldn't believe (well, you probably would...).

Now that I have a Mac (had my iBook for about a year and three quarters now), I can say that it's a joy to use. I haven't upgraded to Panther yet because I don't have the £100 spare, but it should make my machine run even nicer.

The thing is, I have that nice iBook that was middle range when I got it (12.1 inch screen, 384Mb RAM, 20Gb HDD, Radeon Mobility, DVD-ROM plus CDRW), and I also have a Toshiba Satellite (1410-S102, which is a Celeron 1.6, 14.1 inch screen, 512Mb RAM, GeForce4 MX 420 Go, DVD-ROM)....and the Tosh gets much more use because its much snappier in feel, and it (like the Mac) Just Works.

I like Windows 2000, and I like Win XP even more (compared to the horrible 98).

And the funny thing is, I spend most of my time surfing on my Tosh looking at Mac webpages.

I guess the biggest thing is that we use PCs at work, with Visual FoxPro, and a DOS database program...

I would certainly say that the platform (PowerPC) SHOULD be able to be a lot smoother than current PCs. At work, I use a 2.26GHz Dell Optiplex GX270. It does a fair few things, and when it gets going, its fairly snappy, but UI suffers if its doing memory intensive database work....as in, screen refreshes, cursor movement, etc. You can't USE a PC when its doing other stuff.

Hmm, I'm thinking I'd like to try a Hyperthreaded box with a RAID array...or SCSI array.

Or, a PowerMac G5.

When I get a payrise.

Humm so why chose a Mac...because it's different, mainly. I'd love to get a new Amiga when the OS comes out, too. Linux is too **hard** and stuff never works properly (that is MY OPINION and I stand by it!! Okay its probably the stuff I buy, and I understand commercial companies have a lot more to gain by making decent drivers for Windoze, but...well, chicken and egg I guess...). I'd love to try Be again....hmm actually that's a good project for my week off.....

Why chose a mac...because its beautiful, its unix that works for the user, its....something to play with.

IE, dunno.

Dave
    Well Hello!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tillyoubreakit
    Hello all,

I have always been a sort of a fan of Apple. I dont know why, i have never ever used one. But they seem so nice, i dont know why but oh well.

I currently run a very powerfull workstation and have no reason to sell it or to get an Apple. I would however like to try an Apple in the near future.

Please tell me guys; Why do you choose Apple ? What do you like so much about them ? Is it the OS ?

I am so bored, i already went from stock to water to phase change and now dual. Would it be sorta fun to have a Apple ( not the Ipod...lol no need for that)

-Flo
    Heya,
    I do also like Apple ! Mac was the first computer I came in touch with when I was little , but I'm now sitting on a PC though. They're nice indeed!

Well, why Apple It's much about the OS but also the feeling you get when you're surfing on it ! My father has got a Powerbook G4 and it's absolutly wounderful!

If I were you I would do it, change to Apple, they're nice.
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    here's a picture of it btw! It's lovely!

http://images.digitalmedianet.com/20...00/pb-back.jpg
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    ekk tibook, would rather have alovely new albook

Thanks
    I would wait until the G5 i realised and buy that one
    Cisco ocsiC

Thanks
    How are they going to get such a hot chip into a laptop? It needs a crapload of ducting even in a 1u rackmount.

Rank Bajin
    Thanks
    It will take a good while yet before they get a g5 powerbook- It took years since the intro of the g4 to make the TiBook. Having said that, the Xserve's run a different chip to the normal G5's, and they use less power and produce less heat. Bit still a lot of heat. I reckon the Earliest would be MacWorld Expo in SanFrancisco in Jan05
    The Caped Crusader :-)

Thread Information