Thread: Garageband Problems

Thanks

Garageband Problems

Hi guys,

Being more of a PC person but applying my logic to Macs (could be a dangerous thing ) I was attempting to sell the iBook I have in the for sale section to a friend based on its' ability to be used with the Garageband software for him to record and make music with his guitar.

A clean install of OS X Panther, followed by software updates to get things up to 10.3.9, followed by just Garageband, then the Garageband update left him with a toy to play with for a while, but apparently he gets lock ups and so on when trying to record from the guitar using some special cable and an iMic device. Not quite sure if that's sufficient information but anyway...

Would there be any way other than my selecting the minimal components for the OS X install to make things compact... that can improve the performance of said iBook in order for it to run better for my friend, and hopefully allow me to sell it?

Thanks,
    Dafty

Thanks
    I had similar problems on my mac mini, where it stopped when I tried to play my tune, because there were to many sounds in it. That was before I upgraded memory and I only had 256MB. Now I've got 1GB from crucial, where you can select your iBook model here . It now runs perfectly, no pauses or interuptions at all. From what I've found, garageband is a resource hog, especially if you have multiple samples all playing at the same time.

Unfortunately, I dont think there is a way to improve things any more, because unless you have nothing else loading or open, the finder is always running in the background.
    Last edited by tommylittleboy@; 13-05-2005 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks
    Very good point, I forgot to mention memory. It has the onboard 128MB and then i bought an upgrade module for under the keyboard, which is 512MB, giving 640MB RAM total.

Yes I thought as much, it's a super clean install and there probably isn't any room for improvement. Oh well!

Thread Information