• Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Are you MOIST or what?

OK...got you in here anyway

Condensation is a nightmare this week....windscreens steaming up all over the place....

A: your clothes are wet, and the humidity off them in the car steams you up. Nowt you can do, but be aware.

B: Your shoes are wet, all winter long....the floor is always damp.

C: Its pouring with rain, the puddles splash your car and steam from the exhaust etc gets in.

So what can ya do?

Next time you are gonna be driving for longer than half an hour, get into your car in a shirt or tshirt and not a coat. Heater ...UP.....all the way....and fan on FULL.....point it DOWN (put enough up to the screen to keep it clear) to the footwell

Get that baby HOT inside......windows CLOSED,No recirculation....FRESH AIR.....then when its nearly UNBEARABLE...

wind down the front windows a little tiny bit...let the fan work HARDER....NO RECIRCULATION ....just fresh air..blow all the hot damp air outof the tops of the windows....wind them down a bit at a time.....and get all the humidity out.

NEXY: Do you have a POLLEN filter? Vauxhalls have had for years.

IS IT WET? I took the plastic cover off from under the windscreen on the Astra (L reg) in the engine bay, where the fan and pollen filter are.....and left it off

BAD PLAN...1 rain shower later....WET POLLEN FILTER.....

Steam in my car Cover back on, new filter Dry Go find out.

Next.....LIFT your rubber mats and FEEL the carpets with your hands...use the back of your hands, more sensitive to moisture.

Loads of peoples cars have the same humidity in them, and then it condenses in the footwell at night, in the carpet.

Do the drive around with the heater on FULL trick from up there/\

it helps.

If ya get in your car and the rear window is SOPPING WET, use a tea towel, dry it, and dont leave it in the car afterwards....TAKE the moisture away...dry it somewhere else.

Everywhere I have been this week, in cusotmers cars, they are SODDEN and they aint got water leaks....its just wet shoes, wet clothes and BREATH

LAST BUT NOT LEAST....you CAN use Aircon to dry the air...Aircon units have to stop moisture getting in, and have a condensor....so it helps....but only once the engine is hot, and you aint gonna FREEZE to death...once you can blow hot air through the cold system.

BUT ....some moisture STILL GETS THROUGH...and then freezes on the aircon cooler matrix....and when you next run your car, its melted and blows onto the screen.

EVERYNOW AND THEN, if you have AC or Climate Control...SWITCH IT OFF and blow fresh air thorugh...and EXPECT a cloud of condensation onto the screen, so do it stationary.

Go get your cars DRY....even if it cost £4 in petrol heating it up......DO IT.....better than crashing into someone, cos you cant see

Keep safe people

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Nope I'm perfectly dry cos I always stick my heater up full and on my feet while having a window open to keep me cool, and I have no mats etc for damp to lurk under

Actually I pretty much do most of the things you describe Zak

I think it's good practice to warm your car up properly before setting off, so the screen is clear every time I get in, nothing worse than driving around while peering through a fogged up screen.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    good man

Lots too many drive off using nothing but "The Force" like Luke Skywalker , to see, with his blast shield down

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    yeah my mum included

I've had a right barny with her before about it, made her pull over and stop till it was clear.

the number of people I see leave the station car park straight after starting their cars when I get off the train is untrue, theres no way that most of them have clear screens.

There was ice on my screen last night and some people were driving straight out all iced up and probably steamed up inside just not safe

Banned
    Thanks
    Nope I'm perfectly dry cos I always stick my heater up full and on my feet while having a window open to keep me cool
    I though I was odd for doing that.... but im not alone!!

Thanks
    Well I never said I wasn't odd

But it's the best way to keep things dry

Means you get good airflow through the car, and the little bit of warmth helps grab that moisture from soggy carpets and window open it can get whipped outside where it belongs

Thanks
    Not had any misting problems in mine yet. The Clio was bloody terrible though, had so much dampness inside at one point the windows froze on the INSIDE

I like mine though; the climate control is a bit of a smarty pants and 9 times out of 10 I leave it to its own devices and it sorts everything out. Gotta love gadgets
    Simon

Thanks
    Our L-reg Astra was an absolute nightmare for misting up... far worse than any other car. The P-reg is better and the 03 plate is in a different world. Will be doing all that when I get back home as I king hate mist in the car.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Zath mate......vital info for you...

A : check that pollen filter, if its old it will be damp....get a newone.

B: IS YOUR AIR RECIRCULATION STCUK ON? Loads of people have the little button pushed in and dont know...sometimes the bulb in it has broken and you dont even KNOW its on.

You need to FRESH air, not recirculated air, cos its damp and the moisture never escapes.

Check it mate...its the button in the bottom of the centre console....below the FAN. If you have aircon, it says MAX on it, (maximum fan speed possible cos the airflow in the car is quicker with recirc on) but turn it OFF for fresh air. If no aircon, itsjust a big button with a piccie of a car with a rounded arrow inside it. YOU WANT IT OFF, OUT-- NOT LIT UP and in

Lots of people use it to heat up quickly (it works well) but never re-open it.

you are then breathing the same air, all moist and warm....NIGHTMARE,,,,plus wet shoes wtc get the carpets all sodden.

Go check dude....might help a lot

Thanks
    Cheers mate, am going back home week tomorrow so will check. Very rarely have the recirc on as the P-plate I drive doesn't have aircon and there's no real point otherwise. I do know where it is - have been driving that model Astra for last six years

Will def check pollen filter, didn't think of that before you mentioned it. Major thing is wet clothes from shopping trips in rain etc - gets the car misted in seconds. Nothing much to do about that but turn up the heat.

Thanks
    I ride a motorbike m8....

any hints for getting rid of mosture for them?

Thanks
    Try driving a mini cooper, total knightmare for fogging up, really bad in the winter when i have to scrape the inside of the car as well as the outside when its icy!!!

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    Originally posted by [MA]DanglyBob
    I ride a motorbike m8....

any hints for getting rid of mosture for them?

get a car

Originally posted by Skeps
    Try driving a mini cooper, total knightmare for fogging up, really bad in the winter when i have to scrape the inside of the car as well as the outside when its icy!!!
    get a real car hehehe.. garage it? put some plastic sheeting over the windscreen at night. took it under ya wiper blades. It always helps a little bit.

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thanks
    Bumpage for this great thread in case anyone didn't see it. A few weeks ago I had to squeegee the drops of water off the inside of my windscreen and wait for the engine to warm up before I drove away, now I'm straight in and off.

Cheers Zak.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Air Conditioning helps, all the dry air takes all the humidity out.

Often had to get a towel to wipe my back window BEFORE I even set off!

Thread Information