Thread: Time to fix my car....

Thanks

Time to fix my car....

A few months ago my handbrake went - the automatic adjuster was worn. Had that changed at it worked like new.
    I havnt had a chance to look at it yet but the handbrake is not holding me on a slope anymore, just like last time.
    Now I have the part (since it can only be bought in 2's) and I will be trying to DIY this time.

However something must be making it wear. What should I look for? Is it my driving? - I have once or twice accidently drove off from lights with it still on, but not recently, and I didnt think that could cause it.

Also, my engine was not fireing evenly yesterday when I started it - maybe becuase it was cold but it seemed to drive as normal after. The exhaust was not even puffs of air but like 2 big puffs a second.... Something else for me to look at.
    Fan belt also needs adjusting, and in 20 or so miles I should find out if im still getting ~25mpg
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 28-12-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    You've got a Fiesta Si haven't you?

If so, check the distribution cap - caused a mates car to do a similar thing, erratic idle etc, may simply need cleaning

Thanks
    I thought all fuel injected cars also had solid state ignition? I hope it doesnt have an old mechanical style distributor :/
    I definatly think its the ignition system/cables somewhere though. I went over a bump today on the way home and it seemed to misfire for a few seconds before the next bump.

I bought a compression tester today, since I am giving it quick service tomorrow.

Thanks
    I filled up and calculated my mpg to be 26.2 for driving like an oap that had just swallowed a whole bottle of sleeping pills..... very slow... getting overtaken by mpv's... and stuff...

Im hoping its dry tomorrow so I can crawl under it and fix the fan belt, and do the compression test so I can find out what is wrong with it..... Acctually hoping it is the fan belt causing it to have such low mpg.

edit:
    I expect your all quite bored seeing all these threads about my broken car heh

I had a look in my spreadsheet to find out when the low mpg started, and I found this:
    From april to september (160 days) I had done 1858 miles , 54.6 gallons of fuel, and I got a mpg of 34.03, which imo is good for an 11 year old car
    Since september (106 days) I have done 1120 miles, 43.98 gallons, and a pathetic 25.47 mpg average.

Some things to note, april to september I was unemployed for a bit, which makes the miles per day look about the same, but miles per journey would have been quite a bit higher than since my new job that started in september.

August-September was also when my car made its 4 trips to the garage.
    Immediatly after the first (for free brake test) the fanbelt noise started.
    The second, where the brakes were fixed (different garage)
    The brakes felt wrong and got that fixed, on the way home my clutch cable snapped, leading to the third, to get a new one put in.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 30-12-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Thanks
    if it's got drums on the back then i wouldn't worry about them needing adjusted again......the adjustment mechanisms are rubbish and just about every one will always need doing every 6 months. Have't you noticed the brake pedal needing pushed further before the brakes apply? This is a symptom that lets you know they are needing adjusted up.

Thanks
    Mine has an automatic adjuster, the problem is the teeth wear off somehow.
    It doesnt really matter, except my garage is on a steep hill, so it just means I have to turn the engine off and leave it in gear every time I open the garage..

[rant]My compression tester doesnt bloody fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

I spent 3 or 4 hours outside in the cold today fidddling with it. I took it back and got a replacement, and it still doesnt fit!.

However I replaced the HT leads, creating a £37 shaped whole in my wallet.

Important question here. When I put it all back together, I forgot to plug the mass airflow sensor back in. I realised and thought I would do some tests. I drove about 2 miles total along dual carrage way.

With the sensor in the engine is running richer, smoke is thicker.
    With it out, the smoke is a lot clearer, slightly slower.

Now when I took the spark plugs out, they all had a black coating, none were oily like last time, however cylinder 3 had thick deposits again, that I could break off.

So do I need a new airflow sensor, or should I leave it out for 2 weeks and do a proper test? will it do any damage having it out?
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 30-12-2006 at 11:22 PM.

Thread Information