Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: next car?

Thanks

Re: next car?

civic and corollas are only more reliable because the only ever see 5th gear and usually dont exceeed 40mph on a nsl dual carrage way..

All im saying.. a car this age something will likely go wrong.. usually a minor small cheap part, and japanese is not cheap when it does.

The car im looking at is a 1.0/3cyl/52hp suzuki swift. The engine bay is almost empty, and everything is purely mechanical rather than electronic. If I wanted, there is even space for me to acctually stand inside the engine bay, maybe even space for a seat
    If it breaks, the space and ease of getting to bits would be very nice. the fiesta has a lot more crap filling up the engine bay.

I would be tempted by another cheap fiesta since mine is good for parts, except rust is a major issue with them

Quote Originally Posted by gman1981 View Post
    Not wanting to offend - but French cars have been notourious in the past for poor build quality compared to German and Japanese cars!
    BUT... french cars dont rust, and when they go wrong its usually electrics/sensors rather than anything mecanical. 306's make up the majority of posts in the pitstop, but I think 80% or so are about the ISCV
    I would be very tempted by a 306 is one were cheap. Also think they are one of the nicest looking hatchbacks (with 106 and 205 being the worst looking )
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 24-10-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks

good luck! agree with japanese parts are expensive generally! also agree that at that age, something will go wrong (guess i was thinking the frequency that's all )

general observation for me is that one bad bit for japanese are their bodies, to me they are more prone to rust ...but their electronics and engines are top notch

Thanks

well the car im looking at, the bodywork is not tooo bad, although somehow the bonnet has THOUSANDS of small dents all over it - in a carmeggeddon sort of way . I dont really like white cars but then as I say with my current car you cant see the paintwork when your driving, cept the bonnet :/

What are parts like from suzuki? I assume since they are a big manufactuer in bikes, that it wont be so bad, as bikes tend to need more frequent servicing.

Thanks

Im pretty sure that susuki are not that bad, although getting some of the batterys seemed to be a pain, il ask my father as he buys and sells spares and stuff for all brands.

And as you say most of the problems with the 306 are electrical, if you keep it serviced then the engines are very stong. And yes they are a great looking car but then im bias as i own the best looking car of the bunch (although a white rallye would be better )

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

If you fancy something a bit bigger and you don't mind the fact that it has no streett cred, then have a look on ebay for a Nissan Bluebird, you can pick up a real minter of one for £350 - £500 notes.

General things that go on Bluebirds are bubbling paint work on the wheel arches. I had one for a year and all it ever cost me was a new battery and an Alternator. Solid cars that keep on going and going and going, and bits aren't too hard to get hold of either.

Would be far more comfortable than a Suzuki Swift and a bit more powerful too, lowish insurance groups too, around group 5 or 6 I think for a 1.8.

Thanks

bluebirds are ooooooooooooooooooooold, like 1980's?
    or maybe early 1990's when they stopped making them? not sure but I would think parts are very hard to get by now?

White rallyes look horrible. I havent noticed it on many other white cars (damn now im going to notice it on this ) but I find it hard not to notice the gaps between body panels which appear huge, although they may not be.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDeath View Post
    bluebirds are ooooooooooooooooooooold, like 1980's?
    or maybe early 1990's when they stopped making them? not sure but I would think parts are very hard to get by now?

White rallyes look horrible. I havent noticed it on many other white cars (damn now im going to notice it on this ) but I find it hard not to notice the gaps between body panels which appear huge, although they may not be.
    Quite easy to get parts for even now mate They stopped making them when they got to about H plates, basically when Nissan started making the Primera. I remeber when I had mine 4 years ago it wasn't at all hard to get the bits for them.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

God, I thought Bluebirds were old fashioned the last time I can actually remember seeing one, and that was about 15 years ago...

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Registered+
    Thanks

If you can find a cheap enough Skoda since they've been taken over by VW that's not a bad plan. The new SKoda's are basically VWs and have VW reliability generally, and they are Much cheaper than the VW they are based on. I'm not sure though that you would find one in your price range. Mine is a Skoba Fabia Estate Y Reg (2001) which was bought last year for £2500 and has no problems so far. Might be worth looking at them anyway,

Good luck
    x

Thanks

Swift's are apparently great, especially ancient GTI versions, or so an old pal kept telling me. Best place for spares and where to source them is the owners club.

£300 might buy a battered Maxima QX. There's one in the family that must be worth about that. 3.0V6, leather, cruise control and auto. Corners are often battered due to massive overhangs and parts like the exhaust don't really exist outside Japan anymore but those can be rebuilt from sheet and a welding torch we've discovered!

A mid-eighties Polo would also be fun. Grab a end of era H-reg Ranger with a 1.3 (1272cc 65bhp) and you'll be talking 0-60 in 12ish and no servo's to go wrong! In fact it's only rust or CV joints that matter. Ok and possibly the head gasket but I'm sure there'll still be a few good 'uns about
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information