Thread: Car newbie

Thanks

Car newbie

Basically, I know absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing about cars. I don't know the characteristics of the various brand/model. V6 sounds more like a Japanese boyband than an engine. I don't know what the 2L is supposed to refer to. GT sounds to me like a rip off of nVidia's mid-range graphics card. Okay I am kidding, I am sure it's the other way round, but I still don't know what it refers to. Different type of suspensions, brakes chassis (in fact, why can't see kick-ass looking chassis with a 'standard engine' - whatever that is). You get the idea.

So what is the best way to get up to speed? Are there any well written, concise guide out there? Frankly speaking, I don't really get excited reading about cars (so well written/concise is a must). Yet I am learning to drive as a possible future need, and I will need to know a little so that I can pick a car for my needs when the times come (which is most likely not one that can break the speed limit in the shortest time as possible, rather, something comfortable, gas efficient and safe; doesn't hurt if it can go fast, but it's not the whole point for me).

Thanks

Re: Car newbie

Dont bother just let someone else pick them for you, if they dont interest you its very hard to get interested..

read a few what car? magazines

Thanks

Re: Car newbie

As Arbitor says What Car is a generally good tomb with stacks of info about buying, what to look for etc.

Honest John's site is also very useful though I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for. (Honest John)

It sounds like you've already got some idea of what you might want. At the end of the day you need a car that fits you so have a proper think about what you need first. E.g. Are you learning just to get to and from work or is it for transporting kids around etc?
    While you might not know which fuel consumption is good or bad you should be able to work out how much you'll happily spend on owning a car and what you plan to do with it. That will dictate purchase price, insurance cost, tax bill and minimum fuel economy you can afford.
    Factor in the potential risk of breakdown or paying for cover if it happens and you'll at least be able to place value on any car you look at.

I suspect once you've got that far what you buy will start to become more important to you. If not it'll be a matter of wallet and a straight up value judgement to pick a car. That makes it a damn sight easier picking something than if you're fussy about what brand etc! (IMHO)

Have you any more thoughts that might lead to suggestions or are you happy to go on a fact finding mission?
    If you want any specific car related gubbins explained there's usually someone here who'd be more than happy to provide an insight and often you'll get a decent spread of info from a whole range of posters.

Best of luck!
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thread Information