Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renault 5 Turbo peeps

Thanks

Thumbs up Renault 5 Turbo peeps

Lowe, Philz..... im sure you can help here.......
    While im waiting for my finances to recover from a serious bashing (and so I can afford the engine I want) will be crewing on a rocket car, camero with a blower and err rockets........ but more importantly for here..... a 5 turbo with a large shot of nitrous
    So what do you suggest - the team arent bothered if it blows up (well not straight away) so we are looking for a few 'cheapish' mods - they are already talking about 'Halo rings' which I personally have never heard of
    So, any suggestions please
    Cheers
    Iain

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    any 5 turbo you buy will almost cirtainly have had the sh*t ragged off it so be carefull.. why not buy the normal 1.4 engine and just stick a big turbo on it? may last longer..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    any 5 turbo you buy will almost cirtainly have had the sh*t ragged off it so be carefull.. why not buy the normal 1.4 engine and just stick a big turbo on it? may last longer..
    5lab,
    I would hope thought that someone who can hand build a rocket car would know what to look for in a 'normal' car
    From what I understand they got a very good deal.... im just trying to find out the 'normal' way of getting a bit of extra power out of them - before we stick a large dose of nitrous down its carb as this is one of the cars im going to be involved in preparing

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    ah didnt realise you'd already got it.. why not convert it to rwd? ooor stick it in a 340 shell like mine which is already rwd (my car uses the same 1.4 renault engine)...

cant you just up the pressure, chip it and dump some nitros in there?? maybe strip the interior.. if your keeping the car..

if its only for short runs you could take the alternator off and just charge the battery from another source?

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Nooooooo...

Nitrous and R5GTTs do NOT go together well. It's not a happy marriage.. At the most you'll be looking at a 50 shot, more realistically a 25.

Quite simply it's fuelling it. Since I guess it'll be a track car it won't be an issue, but you'll only be able to set the fuelling for when the gas is on. This will obviously make the car overfuel like a **** when off the giggle gas which will leave it undriveable.

To be perfectly honest stick to normal turbo tuning, forget the N20. Most people only use it with GTTs just to be "kewl" - "Look, I got NOS" etc.

Strip it down, get a decent set of jets on the carb, Induction kit/exhaust, strap and flow the intercooler / FMIC, wap a hybrid on it and hold tight....

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    http://freespace.virgin.net/c.coleman/start.htm

Quite simply it's fuelling it. Since I guess it'll be a track car it won't be an issue, but you'll only be able to set the fuelling for when the gas is on. This will obviously make the car overfuel like a **** when off the giggle gas which will leave it undriveable
    cant you put the extra fuel needed into the air intake, along with the nos? im sure i saw a system that did this, then you could hook both the nos and this extra fuel to the same handle??

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    ah didnt realise you'd already got it.. why not convert it to rwd?
    The man has a plan.....

Unless it's in a specific class that prohibits it! i would have thought the biggest problem you'll have is putting the power down in first and second....

and just think of the space then available for a Whacking great big intercooler.....

Uber cheap mod would be water spraying the intercooler to help try and keep the temps down!

Thanks
    Lowe,
    Unfortunatley we HAVE to use nitrous - as the team are launching a new nitrous company Therefore its something to keep the Max Power, Fast Car, Revs etc etc lot happy.
    It will be a fully progressive system though with a VERY fancy controller (they used to make controllers for Highpower) but this is with a few additional extras (fuel pressure, mixture, etc etc etc).
    Regarding the fuelling - the additional required will be via an extra fuel source only activated while on the gas, so I would therefore assume that the fuelling shouldnt be effected that much.
    www.twistedsanity.com is the company BTW

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    couldnt you just cheat and drop a 1.7 turbo in?

Thanks
    ah didnt realise you'd already got it.. why not convert it to rwd? ooor stick it in a 340 shell like mine which is already rwd (my car uses the same 1.4 renault engine)...
    Will suggest that to them, though with having to build the new rocket car and getting the Camero ready cant see this happening for a while..... though RWD is the best

Im all for creating a sleeper, looks like crap from outside, mismatched dented/rusty panels etc etc - but with an awesome drivetrain

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    actually.. this might sound like a dodgy option, but an easy way of getting rwd might be to get a battered 340 and just weld a gt5 turbo frame on top of it.. then the drivetrain etc is already in place? probably sounds easier than it is...

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nah foorpans are TOTALLY different.
    Tunneling a 5 wouldn't be too hard, but alas it sounds like funds are having to be put elsewhere.

My suggestions....

1) Launch control - or at least something to help limit the amount of power in 1st and second.
    2) VERY sticky front tyres
    3) biggest damn intercooler you can fit in there.

is the car purely for 1/4's or is it going to be driven there and back?

Thanks
    if you are going for an engine swap - why not us a 21/25 turbo ;-)
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    instead of water IC spray - use co2 - gets that cooler really cold
    match head and block and remove the HG? - coudl be expensive in engines though.
    uprated HG / pistons etc for running silly ammounts of boost ?

uber light flywheel ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    I've never been in a GTT with nitrous but as long as you don't go mad I don't see why it won't work. How about fitting a BIG turbo and using the nitrous to get it spinning quicker?

GTT's are very cheap to mod for silly power. As standard they're 120BHP and a quick boost upgrade to 16-18PSI should give over 150 assuming the carb is rejetted correctly and the intercooler is strapped (a big jubilee clip round the end caps will do). As usual, breathing mods are good and don't cost a great deal. After this is starts to get a bit more expensive as a hybrid turbo is needed along with a decent intercooler to get more power reliably. Choose your turbo wisely and you can be knocking on 200BHP without any internal mods. 200BHP probably doesn't sound that much these days but remember that the car weighs as much as an empty crisp packet. My old GTT ran a 14.5sec 1/4 mile with only a mild boost upgrade, some of the higher powered ones get into the mid 12's which ain't too bad for a FWD car.

Of course, if you don't mind it blowing up you could just pull the actuator pipe off and pull the overboost wires off, that gives silly power for a short period of time. (I found that one out by accident when I forgot to put the pipe back on )

Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.... will pass that back to them .
    Looks like the 5 will be taking a back seat for a bit - as they now want to get the rocket car into the 5's instead of the 7's...... simple really - you just stick another rocket 'engine' (for want of a better word) to the chassis
    This lot are a bunch of nutters.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information