Thread: Friend's 230BHP BMW Mini @ Mini Action Day - Castle Comb

Thanks

Friend's 230BHP BMW Mini @ Mini Action Day - Castle Comb

Just a quick summary of his car; it's an R53 (or is it 54...I'm not au fait with the model number) 173bhp 1.6SC Mini Cooper S. Has some added bits and bobs (boost is around 18-19psi), dyno'd at 230bhp, adjustable coilovers, Team Dynamics Pro Light alloys with R888 cut slicks, and quite abit of bracing.

No-one overtook him all day (last year the racing classic Minis were faster). [EDIT] Forgot to add, the protocol is to overtake on the RIGHT hand side. The wide classic in the video was being very cheeky.[/EDIT]

Youtube video of one of his 15 minute sessions with a female passenger

Close up of his exhaust "popping" at WOT on the main straight at Coombe.

I thought this may interest the more petrol headed here.

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID

Re: Friend's 230BHP BMW Mini @ Mini Action Day - Castle Comb

Cool.

Does he have a cage in there? Bit dicey running semi slicks without one if you ask me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
    Cool.

Does he have a cage in there? Bit dicey running semi slicks without one if you ask me!
    No cage; it's his daily driver that usually carries more than him and one other. For track days the rear seats etc. all get removed.

What is dicey is watching an mx5 on R888s going round Paddock trail braked in and on the gas before the apex, sliding it through with minimal steering input. This guy hussled a Porsche GT4 to let him through. Anyhow I digress...

Jay
    Thanks

that really should have a cage.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks

While a roll cage is never a bad idea (unless it's a road car*), there's nothing wrong with using cut slicks without one. If it was a likely to be a problem then circuits would require a cage, like they do when using slicks (which are much less progressive). If you're the sort of driver that is going to have an incident on a track day then the type of tyre you are using is not going to make a great deal of difference, in my opinion.

Combe's a bad example as there's a severe lack of run off at just about all of the corners, but even so, the kind of speed you are likely to be doing IF you did reach the tyres or barrier if say, you out brake yourself, would be no worse than if you had a mild road incident. You might argue that you're more likely to have a high speed crash on a track - yes, if you're racing. If you have a big crash on a track day, such that a cage would make a significant difference, then you were not driving appropriately for a non-competitive track day.

You can never rule out the driving standards of others, mechanical failure, or simple driver error, and for such reasons a cage is always a good idea for circuits - but I would definitely not see it as a requirement and wouldn't lose any sleep over not having one.

With that said, nice video! Your friend would benefit from some tuition but on the whole is doing quite well. He's a little early on a couple of apexes and needs to be smoother with the throttle (a few times he goes from brake to throttle, then a lift, then throttle again, while entering a corner - always a sure fire way to unsettle the car), and needs to sort out his grip on the steering wheel.

Any photos?

*Cages in road cars - bad idea, for two reasons. Firstly it creates a problem with the emergency services, should you be involved in an incident and you need to be cut free from the vehicle. Secondly, if you don't wear a helmet (which is illegal anyway in an enclosed vehicle) you are at risk of your head making contact with the cage in an incident.
    Simon

6. Received thanks from:

sleepyhead (30-09-2008)

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro

Impressive!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    While a roll cage is never a bad idea (unless it's a road car*), there's nothing wrong with using cut slicks without one. If it was a likely to be a problem then circuits would require a cage, like they do when using slicks (which are much less progressive). If you're the sort of driver that is going to have an incident on a track day then the type of tyre you are using is not going to make a great deal of difference, in my opinion.

Combe's a bad example as there's a severe lack of run off at just about all of the corners, but even so, the kind of speed you are likely to be doing IF you did reach the tyres or barrier if say, you out brake yourself, would be no worse than if you had a mild road incident. You might argue that you're more likely to have a high speed crash on a track - yes, if you're racing. If you have a big crash on a track day, such that a cage would make a significant difference, then you were not driving appropriately for a non-competitive track day.

You can never rule out the driving standards of others, mechanical failure, or simple driver error, and for such reasons a cage is always a good idea for circuits - but I would definitely not see it as a requirement and wouldn't lose any sleep over not having one.

With that said, nice video! Your friend would benefit from some tuition but on the whole is doing quite well. He's a little early on a couple of apexes and needs to be smoother with the throttle (a few times he goes from brake to throttle, then a lift, then throttle again, while entering a corner - always a sure fire way to unsettle the car), and needs to sort out his grip on the steering wheel.

Any photos?

*Cages in road cars - bad idea, for two reasons. Firstly it creates a problem with the emergency services, should you be involved in an incident and you need to be cut free from the vehicle. Secondly, if you don't wear a helmet (which is illegal anyway in an enclosed vehicle) you are at risk of your head making contact with the cage in an incident.
    Thanks for clearing up the whole cut slicks and cages debate.

It's his first trackday (I believe) with the cut slicks so I can only guess he was playing with the car to see how and when he can open the throttle. After all, the R888s performed better in the wet than his Nankangs! He's been driving on the R888s on normal roads for a couple of months to get used to them.

I'll ask him tonight when he gets home if he has pictures, though I believe the club (SCNM) has a professional photographer who charges for the pictures he takes.

There was one bad accident that day but not due to anyones bad driving technique; a classic mini dumped oil all around the track (for at least 1 whole lap) and the guy was unlucky to have been the first car to hit it.

I'll forward your comments onto him though, he'll appreciate it.

Thanks

Thats a very quick mini. I'd love to get my 147 on a track day but the wallet just won't allow it

Thanks

There are some pictures here:

MK-Photos

Some more pictures here:

SCNM Gallery

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

Nice! The classic mini's look TINY in comparison!

Apart from that it looks like they've put too many cars out - it's like rush hour traffic!

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed watching that.

Some good things to feedback, your mate seems to have his head completely screwed on, was relaxed and didn't rise to some idiotic other drivers. It was touching for him to ask his female companion on board if she was okay after the non traffic lap 3. Some good lines and pace there.

The only thing I against the footage is oh my god that engine is a whiny bitch of an engine.

I'm sure its not so bad in person but listening to that its awful.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thread Information