Thread: One for Zak33

Thanks

One for Zak33

This should be right up your street fella

Colleague of mine takes his 4 year old Golf to a VW dealership, tells them he thinks he has a gearbox problem, dealership tells him it isn't his gearbox, but £1500 work needs doing to sort the problem, colleage takes a deep breath and pays for the repairs.

1 week later the problem still persists, Dealership recommends a new gearbox @ £2300, colleague is rightly miffed that he's already paid £1500 to sort the problem, demands this is taken out of the bill for the gearbox. Dealership ain't budging - colleague stuck in a courtesy car with £1500 out of pocket and car stuck at dealership

What do you reckon matey ?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: One for Zak33

I reckon you go straight to VW HQ and complain and then go to the AA or RAC and get them to inspect the car and determine the gearbox issue.

But I'm dying to know what the £1500 was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I reckon you go straight to VW HQ and complain and then go to the AA or RAC and get them to inspect the car and determine the gearbox issue.

But I'm dying to know what the £1500 was for?
    VW HQ was my first suggestion, I'll find out about the bill breakdown when he's back in next week

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Main dealers aren't called main stealers for nothing when it comes to the price of repairs.

Thats alot of money for a gear box, doubt a local decent independant would be any cheaper.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Depending on where you're based I know a few good quality VAG indies I'd highly recommend

(Behemoth - still waiting to hear back from my guy re your Vectra - sorry!)
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks

Let's say you get a bloke to fix your roof, and he says he's patched it up with some difficulty, and that'll be £1000 please. Then it leaks again the next week, and he says oh right, well the whole roof needs replacing at a cost of £3000. You'd say "no, the new roof will be £2000 because I've already paid you £1000 for some work which achieved sweet FA".

It's the same with this car- or indeed in any field of endeavour, any time a contract is entered into for the provision of a service. They said it'd cost £1500 to sort his problem, then they charged him £1500 and didn't sort his problem. They're clearly in breach of contract.

Now, if they had said "well it's a complicated car, and we're not sure what the problem is. We think it's most likely this £1500 part, but it could be the gearbox at £2300, and we won't know until we do the work" then he's got a choice. He can either give them the go ahead, or he can tell them to sling it, bung the car on ebay, and vow to buy only properly engineered cars in the future. But by the sounds of it that's not what happened.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Let's say you get a bloke to fix your roof, and he says he's patched it up with some difficulty, and that'll be £1000 please. Then it leaks again the next week, and he says oh right, well the whole roof needs replacing at a cost of £3000. You'd say "no, the new roof will be £2000 because I've already paid you £1000 for some work which achieved sweet FA".

It's the same with this car- or indeed in any field of endeavour, any time a contract is entered into for the provision of a service. They said it'd cost £1500 to sort his problem, then they charged him £1500 and didn't sort his problem. They're clearly in breach of contract.

Now, if they had said "well it's a complicated car, and we're not sure what the problem is. We think it's most likely this £1500 part, but it could be the gearbox at £2300, and we won't know until we do the work" then he's got a choice. He can either give them the go ahead, or he can tell them to sling it, bung the car on ebay, and vow to buy only properly engineered cars in the future. But by the sounds of it that's not what happened.
    Spot on fella, basically he has gone in saying he think the gearbox is the issue, garage took the car , phoned him to say 'X' work is required to sort the problem, 'X' costs 1500 and still the problem persists a week later, Garage are saying "ahh but 'X' needed doing anyway - looks like you need a new gearbox - that'll be £2300 please..!

Thread Information