Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What kind of driver do you hate most on the road?

Thanks

Re: What kind of driver do you hate most on the road?

Trucks overtaking their fellows at 1mph I can hack, even on dual-carriageways, afterall I understand time pressures and that the irritation of being stuck behind people is not exclusive to car drivers. The limiter means that 1mph difference is likely all they can manage.

It's the people in cars that do the same claiming the speed limit will only legally allow then to crawl past that get my goat. I understand your arguement but you actually have the ability to go faster and perform a much safer manouver.
    Of course you may believe you're in the right but you're doing 70 past someone doing 69 within a foot or so of another vehicle. You really think that's safer than say doing 75 and pulling well beyond any potential contact zone?

The less time exposed to danger the less chance of an accident happening.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arthran View Post
    My number 1 and biggest hate of all is drivers who simply don't understand what a speed limit is. Was driving up from kent a few weeks ago, full car of people, in the outside lane (busy motorway) doing 70. having people coming right up behind me, getting irate and then screaming abuse at me when they undercut me and speed off. Its like, if you have a problem with the speed limit, don't abuse me!
    How could it have been busy if you was in the outside lane and someone was undercutting you? If that was the case why was you in the outside lane in the first place? Its this kind of driving i hate the most, idiots who sit in the middle or outer lane for no real reason. Also anyone who uses their mobile while driving really gets my goat.

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

My number 1 and biggest hate of all is drivers who simply don't understand what a speed limit is. Was driving up from kent a few weeks ago, full car of people, in the outside lane (busy motorway) doing 70. having people coming right up behind me, getting irate and then screaming abuse at me when they undercut me and speed off. Its like, if you have a problem with the speed limit, don't abuse me!

tailgating is a big pain as well, 2 second rule is your friend people. Same goes for junctions, don't come right up behind me so all i can see is your windscreen, i was taught to always leave enough room so you could see the rear wheels of the vehicle in front touch the road. Sounds stupid but anybody who's driven an automatic will vouch for the junction "roll-back"...
    You. I hate you.

Get the hell out of the fast lane. Yes, there's a speed limit. No, you are not the person to enforce it. Who'dya think you are, my dad? People don't have a problem with the speed limit, they have a problem with you, so take the abuse or get out of the fast lane.

(P.S. I don't really hate you, not really. Well, maybe a little bit....)

sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    Its this kind of driving i hate the most, idiots who sit in the middle or outer lane for no real reason.
    I think you need 4 kinds of driving licence:

1 to be able to drive in towns only
    1 to drive on the inside lane on a motorway/dual carriageway as well as the previous
    1 to be allowed use of inner 2 lanes (and overtaking on dual carriageway)
    1 to be able to use all lanes on the motorway as well as in town

If you can't show good overtaking discipline/lane control you forfeit the upper licence and must remain on the inside lane on the motorway and not allowed to overtake unless an emergency (e.g. accident in front of you and an evasive maneuver)
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Geek in training
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IBM View Post
    so take the abuse or get out of the fast lane.

just one note to make here...it's not actually the 'fast' lane, it's there to overtake the middle lane hoggers in.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Gr44 View Post
    Intersting that no one seems to have an issue with drivers doing 100+ on motorways. Does no one get annoyed by people stomping past everyone on the M1 doing 120mph?

I don't, personally, just curious...

Also, why don't so many of you like people using mobile phones? Is it purely because it's illgeal... or because by proxy 90% of people who use them can't drive at the same time? What I mean, is it a problem with the phone or the knock on effect of using it?

Anyway... my pet hates;

People who *dont* know the width of their own car... You see some muppets round here who slam on their anchors behind a row of parked cars when you could squeeze a small aircraft between the parked cars and on-coming traffic... GO!

Idiots who do 30-40mph on A/B roads.

People who seem to hate you because you've over-taken their slow-moving-ass and have the need to flash you over and over and over again until you can no longer see them despite over-taking with plenty of room etc.

PEOPLE WHO LEAVE THEIR FRONT/REAR FOGLIGHTS ON OMFG WTF BBQ AAARGHARGHRAGRHARGAHRGH

People who brake... and brake... and brake.... and brake... and WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU BRAKING?!

Rich folk who buy really nice sporty cars and then refuse to drive them past 30mph.. holding up people who actually need to work and drive sheds with square wheels (jealousy, really)

The list would go on... as already said, folk in my way = anger
    Every single thing in the above post is 100% spot on...are you me, do I know you, do you want to be my friend?

If there's room for them to undercut you, get out the damned overtaking lane, you belong on the list of things I hate.

EDIT:

Those morons in lane 3 on the motorway who spy a police car 25 miles ahead and swerve across two lanes to tuck in behind the Reliant Robin doing 46 mph in lane one. They're usually the same morons who, when they get up behind the police car that's only doing 60mph refuse to overtake in case SWAT storm their houses and steal their children.

Come to think of it, I also hate those people with works vans with livery on that looks like a police car - reflective stripes etc.
    Last edited by mycarsavw; 03-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Look Ma, a Title!
    Thanks
    • Arthran's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Black
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Kingston Now SSD, 4+TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 7870 2GB Ghz
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Enterprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" 1980x1080p + Viewsonic Projector
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    If there's room to 'safely' undertake you then you are in the wrong lane no matter what speed you are doing.
    I didn't say i was safely Undertaken ;-)

In all honesty, i got the abuse and got undertaken at the end of the busy section, you know when you've been stuck in a lane for a while because of traffic, it clears and your in the process of wanting to move.

Quote Originally Posted by IBM
    Get the hell out of the fast lane. Yes, there's a speed limit. No, you are not the person to enforce it.
    Actually, i'm the person to enforce my own driving within the speed limit, so if i'm doing the limit (not the limit as per my speedo, but as per my satnav, so a good 77 on my speedo ) and people behind me arent happy, well they can get F*cked. Nobody can force me to drive illegally just because they have no respect for me or the rules of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by IBM
    Who'dya think you are, my dad? People don't have a problem with the speed limit, they have a problem with you, so take the abuse or get out of the fast lane.
    No, i think i'm somebody obeying the law, Fancy joining in with this fun hobby i have here?

I'll be honest, i dont give a sh*t about what other road users think most of the time. I did my pass plus, i know the laws (well not all ofc), if people want to break them, feel free, but most of the time i wont and you cant make me by tailgating me.

As a side note, another pet hate i have it people who dont seem to understand the de-restricted speed signs dont mean do wth you want, they mean national speed limit applies. Shocking how many people dont understand the 60/70 national speed limits based on the road type your on.

Look Ma, a Title!
    Thanks
    • Arthran's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair Black
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Kingston Now SSD, 4+TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 7870 2GB Ghz
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Enterprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" 1980x1080p + Viewsonic Projector
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    If there's room for them to undercut you, get out the damned overtaking lane, you belong on the list of things I hate.
    I'll agree with you in 99% of situations, coming out of a major traffic section and then being undercut by the idiot who's been tailgating you for 25mins doesn't give you the time to move over now the traffic has cleared though. Trust me, i belonged in the left hand lane in that instance, just couldn't get there.

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

Rigth, so having passed my test a month or two ago and only driven on Leeds ring road, motorways is going to be a bit of a step up, but I'm in a bit of a headscratching scenario here.

The speed LIMIT is 70mph I get that.

The from left to right is slow to fast yes? I get that too.

So if I'm in the slow lane or middle lane and I'm at 70mph in either lane and I'm not taking over anybody, then what if I want to take over somebody I need to speed up? What speeds do I go to?

I know people in fast lanes barely stay at 70, and police do let people go with it, but what's too fast?

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

I didn't say i was safely Undertaken ;-)

In all honesty, i got the abuse and got undertaken at the end of the busy section, you know when you've been stuck in a lane for a while because of traffic, it clears and your in the process of wanting to move.
    I'll agree with you in 99% of situations, coming out of a major traffic section and then being undercut by the idiot who's been tailgating you for 25mins doesn't give you the time to move over now the traffic has cleared though. Trust me, i belonged in the left hand lane in that instance, just couldn't get there.
    Fair enough. I personally think the speed limit is too low (and am in favour of sensible variable limits depending upon conditions) but I'd never tailgate and offer abuse to someone doing the speed limit in the fast lane if they can't move over

As a side note, another pet hate i have it people who dont seem to understand the de-restricted speed signs dont mean do wth you want, they mean national speed limit applies. Shocking how many people dont understand the 60/70 national speed limits based on the road type your on.
    Yup - a lot of people stick to 60 on a dual carriageway and I imagine they think everyone else is breaking the law / they are being a good boy or girl.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyM View Post
    ...having passed my test a month or two ago ... motorways is going to be a bit of a step up...
    Hopefully your instructor took you out on a dual carriageway during your lessons and talked you through safe lane maneouvers and what to watch out for in everybody else - which is as important if not more so than your own behaviour in that it's easy to act safely but harder to react well to idiots and anticipate idiotic driving. If not I'd recommend at least one extra lesson on the motorway to get used to it. Failing that go out with an experienced friend who's a good driver and ask them to talk you through what they would do - as someone who learnt to drive late in life my experiences as a passenger with my wife driving helped my motorway driving a lot.

So if I'm in the slow lane or middle lane and I'm at 70mph in either lane and I'm not taking over anybody, then what if I want to take over somebody I need to speed up? What speeds do I go to?
    Legally speaking you're doing 70 and as such have no need to overtake. Of course if someone in front of you is driving like an idiot at ~70 miles an hour (say changing lanes ever 5 seconds or failing to cancel an indicator) you may want to either drop back or get in front of them before they do something dangerous / someone else near them does because of their behaviour / mistakes.

Practically speaking - as has already been said - it is in my opinion safer to get past someone as quickly as possible (within reason) rather than trundle past at 70.1 mph.

I know people in fast lanes barely stay at 70, and police do let people go with it, but what's too fast?
    The police may by and large let these things go but it's not worth chancing your arm if you've just passed as you only need 6 points to lose your license in the first year and insurance is expensive enough - points do not make prizes and all that.
    Last edited by malfunction; 03-09-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Lambie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2D E8400
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator 2x1GB PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • 3x160GB Samsung SpinPoint's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 9800GTX+ SSC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 600W Noisetaker
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armor Full Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W 23" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • WLAN via Linksys WRT54GL w/ Tomato

I was in a driving lesson today, and was honked at and then overtaken by someone dangerously on a normal residential street. I was doing 30mph in a 30 zone.

So I hate people who have no respect for learners, especially when they're actually abiding by the rules perfectly.

Banned
    Thanks

Anyone who owns or has owned a BMW.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Anyone who owns or has owned a BMW.

i can't be doing with you jelous types !

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post

i can't be doing with you jelous types !
    Who'd be jealous of owning a car where the indicators never work?

Thanks
    • KidChameleon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55-UD3
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 2.66GHz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skil 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 1TB, 1 x 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5850 Black
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ VW2420H 24" / Acer AL1916W 19"
      • Internet:
      • 10Mb Virgin Media

No. There are no "slow" or "fast" lanes. You simply keep left whatever speed you're doing, unless you need to get past someone going slower than you. Pull over to the right to overtake, then move back to the left.

A thought:
    People complain about drivers who overtake then slow down.
    People complain about drivers who speed up when they're being overtaken.

These two points go together quite often. The overtaker has had to go above their desired speed in order to overtake the now faster vehicle. Once they get past, they need to slow back down to their desired speed, annoying the car that's been overtaken.

Something that annoyed me today with lots of drivers - people moving into my two second gap. The first time it happened I was closer than two seconds and someone pulled out in front of me, despite there being nothing behind me. They had been indicating for a couple of seconds, but that's tough. They're supposed to give way to any traffic in the lane they're moving to. But then it happened more with lots of other drivers all in one day.

Moving to the subject of generally worst drivers, I would say Taxi drivers are worst. You would think otherwise with them doing it all day every day.

PS: BMW indicators do work, but they work in a bloody annoying way. I can't understand why any car manufacturer would think three flashes on a soft press and locked on with a hard press, then cancelled with a soft press in the opposite direction would be a good idea. You end up indicating right to turn right, then it locks indicating left when you cancel then you have it flashing three times to the right when you try to cancel that one.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

The speed LIMIT is 70mph I get that.
    Yes.

No. The lanes are all the same speed.
    They go from Lane 1 at the left to Lane 2, 3 or 4 at the right.
    Lane 1 is the driving lane. Lanes 2-4 are the overtaking lanes. You drive in lane 1, you overtake in the other lanes. That's really all there is to it.

If you're in Lane 1 at 70 and you need to overtake, you move to lane 2 (if it is clear). The person you're overtaking would obviously be doing less than 70 (or you wouldn't need to overtake), so you would naturally pass them without changing speed.

If you're in Lane 2 and not overtaking you should be in lane 1. Otherwise, it's the same procedure - move to lane 3, maintain speed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information