Thread: Doing CBT next weekend - any tips?

Thanks

Talking Doing CBT next weekend - any tips?

Hi,
    Ive booked my CBT for next weekend and am now bricking it large, any tips on how to survivie as Ive not ridden a bike before (but do drive a car), I want to get up to DAS as soon as possible as Ive got the money to do this atm but maybe not in the future so any tips for cbt give me a shout
    cheers
    Romanov
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    one tip I can give you, if you are over the age of 21 or have driven a car for 5 years or more, do your CBT on a 125cc nothing more nothing less, that way as soon as your pass your CBT you can get your licence and jump on anything up to a 400 as soon as you pass instead of hacing to drive a 125cc for 2 years then going up to 500 and below then moving higher.

All you have to remember is that if you have never ridden a bike before, take it easy on the clutch, you release it to quick and you have the slightest bit of power you will more likely get the front end way off the ground just take your time. Are you using their bike or your own?

Thanks
    Keep your feet on the bike right until you are literrally just about to fall off. If you tend to drag you feet, or leave them hanging off as you go through slow traffic etc, then you will get penalised.
    Twigman

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a
    one tip I can give you, if you are over the age of 21 or have driven a car for 5 years or more, do your CBT on a 125cc nothing more nothing less, that way as soon as your pass your CBT you can get your licence and jump on anything up to a 400 as soon as you pass instead of hacing to drive a 125cc for 2 years then going up to 500 and below then moving higher.

All you have to remember is that if you have never ridden a bike before, take it easy on the clutch, you release it to quick and you have the slightest bit of power you will more likely get the front end way off the ground just take your time. Are you using their bike or your own?
    You can only ride a 125 on CBT.

It's A2 where you have to restrict your bike for 2 years (unless you do DAS and get a cat A on your licence).

With a 125, you let the clutch out too quick; all you're going to do is stall (trust me, I was doing it all day yesterday )

I did my CBT yesterday and the bits I found most difficult were the clutch and holding on to both bike levers (like on a push bike - which I shouldn't have done).

My advice would be to just listen to your instructor - he'll know what he's doing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a
    one tip I can give you, if you are over the age of 21 or have driven a car for 5 years or more
    Hang on, how could you be under 21 but have driven a car for 5 years or more?

Anyway Romanov, if you can ride a bicycle and drive a car then you can ride a motorbike, basically. Granted things are reversed a bit in that you change gears with your foot and operate the clutch, brake and throttle with your hands, but you'll get to grips with it quickly enough. If anything riding a motorbike came to me more naturally than driving a car. CBT is a training course, the test at the end is just to make sure that you've learnt what they taught you. Pay attention and you'll be fine.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    The CBT i did was pretty straight forward if you just do what they tell you, you cant really fail. Its more checking thats you're safe than like a real test. They said if you fail you back again for free until you pass so..

Thanks
    hey cool thnx for the tips Ill keep me feet off the floor - its on a 125 so that should be cool IM gonna try and go for DAS after that to try and get it all out of the way quickly thnx for replies nice to know its a training course basically
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    - Its on their bikes and with their gear so I wont be familiar witht he bike , guy on the phone asked if i drove and could ride a bicycle - when I said 'yes' I could he laughed and said your 90% there already Apparently he had 2 people there that weekend that had never rode biycles before...

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    never ridden bicycles??

eek

Thanks
    Yeah, that's something you'd probably struggle to learn in a day!

Good luck then mate.

Rich :¬)

Thread Information