Thread: Engine / Ignition build up pics (56k warning)

Thanks

Engine / Ignition build up pics (56k warning)

I will be adding to this as things progress - as well as creating a new section on my site to follow progress from when I get both the car and engine back from the relevant workshops.
    Anyway - as requested by a couple of people took the time today to make a little photo booth (ok ok - 3 pieces of polystyrene sheet!) and took a few pics of the bits I have collected so far, left out the boring bits like oil/water pumps and small brackets as quite frankly... they ARE boring!

Anyway - this is the 'new' carb - bigger than the other I posted a while back - flows 1050 CFM (cubic feet a minute) sitting on a Victor manifold - open plenum, so good for top end but more low end performance. The wood like piece between the carb and manifold is err wood and is used as a thermal barrier

Next up - set of forged Eagle H beam rods, called that due to the side profile of a H - you may just be able to make it out - not a lot more I can say about these, apart from the fact they are rated to 700 (or is it 750) bhp. NOT cheap

Next up - things atart to get expensive! Full MSD ignition - from the left billet dizzy, you may well notice the lack of height on the cap - due to this being run by a crank trigger - therfore this is only used to distribute the spark. Working around is the ignition box a 6AL - multi-spark with inbuilt revlimiter, generates multiple BIG sparks to amke sure everything is burnt. Further round clockwise is my ignition timing module - fixed curve with a 20 deg retard on starting. Next up (the small silver box) is a 2 step control, this is used as a variable rev limiter, sitting on the line with one line earthed will enable me to dial in a set rev limit (i.e. just under where max torque will be) as soon as the light changes removing the earth will switch it until upper rev mode and full power. Then the crank trigger, bolted to the front of the crank and therfore ensuring that everything is triggered at the right time i.e. straight off the crank instead of a dizzy which is last in the chain of events. (i.e. crank/timimg chain/cam shaft/dizzy). Lastly the ignition coild - uprated to handle what im expecting the system to do!

Lastly - my favourite bit at the moment. Valve gear! From the top is the stud girdle - this is bolted to the top of the rocker studs and in theory should hold everything in place both for valve lash and valve alignment as with the springs im using without a girdle its not unkown for the rockers studs to move around! Next up is a set of roller lifters, these are my spares as I should be picking up a new set next week - aluminium for lightness and as they are roller, minimal friction between them and the valves. Then we have THE cam - solid billet steel in a roller profile - you 'may' be able to make out the difference between a 'solid' cam (much more pointed) and this which has much more round lobes. Below that are the solid roller lifters - again lightweight race items in an effor to keep valvetrain weight as low as possible.
    Either side of these are the inlet (on the left) and exhaust (on the right) both in stainless steel - with a recess ground just above the valve for better airflow.

And before anyone asks (for those that have got this far) .... no I dont know how much its all worth - the bad side of 3.5k at a very rough guess - who said building these engine was cheap....
    Last edited by IainB; 24-10-2004 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    • jon bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 250gb (Boot) 4x 500gb (Storage)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS HD5770 1gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1010
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 204BW
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet ADSL

Talking

Steel rods, lovely cam...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jon bda
    Steel rods, lovely cam...
    LOL = Ive just mentally worked out what this is going to cost me... and now wish I hadnt!!
    Will update over the next few months as and when the heads/crank/block come back and the build begins - someone has to do some porting first though

Thanks
    A piece of art.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    Panic has now OFFICALY set in - I have a definate mag feature in the pipe line.... only problem is a) the car is down south b) the engine is up near silverstone c) everything else is in my garage and d) im skint
    Me... Panicking..... Never
    just need a sponser to get me out the mire

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazieb
    just need a sponser to get me out the mire

HEXUS?

Hexus Rally car... Hexus drag car........

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    I'll be happy to provide a vehicle for the "Hexus Small And Not At All Powerful Hatchback Car".
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

wol
    Thanks
    Ive got the hexus new breed of chav scum covered

Thanks
    Found this while visiting an american forum - why do they all have HUGE garages, lovely weather and tracks you can run on most evenings?
    Anyway - this is what the stud girdle and rockers look like installed..

Thanks
    There's an almost silly amount of engine in there.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

wol
    Thanks
    Thats a lot of metal!

And yeah why is it always sunny there!

Thread Information