Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Moved to electric: My Tesla Adventure

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Moved to electric: My Tesla Adventure

One of the problems with the car club idea is that demand is hardly uniform. In London it's very difficult to get car club cars at weekends compared to mid week.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Thanks for the link, the arm is really quite creepy!

I've pondered not owning a car (or a modern car and just having a classic for fun) and mixing together either taxis, hire cars or a car club. Certainly wouldn't cost any more per year given that I commute with a bike / train, but car ownership is a 'thing' - a bit like house ownership in this country. Hard to get away from it, and there's always the 'what if' moments such as when I jumped in and drove from Bristol to Glasgow to see my gran in hospital.

Anyhow, thoroughly derailed thread! I'm not really a 'new car' person so an electric car is many years away for me. I am more a fan of smaller cars though. I did try and work out a 'cheap' new electric car but it just wasn't practical for the type of use I have. Certainly good to see the more expensive ones actually being usable and used.
    Don't drop anything nearby....

Thanks
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 240gb Crucial mx500 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

What happened to the idea of installing wireless charging into new roads, so that cars charged as they drove?
    Even if it was only installed in motorways it would reduce range issues markedly.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by hb904460 View Post
    What happened to the idea of installing wireless charging into new roads, so that cars charged as they drove?
    Even if it was only installed in motorways it would reduce range issues markedly.
    Cost I assume. Would be such low utilisation for 10 years that it can't be economical. Perhaps in a bus lane for busses and taxis?

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

If you redid the slow lane of motorways with inductive charging you could substantially lighten trucks. There's got to be a sizeable proportion of the haulage fleet that spends their working life cruising from one business park by a motorway junction to another destination right by a motorway, and a truck that was only a few dozen miles worth of batteries and electric motors might be a lot easier to push down the road than the usual kind. Depends on how many trucks have that use case, and whether the inefficiencies of the inductive charging work out on the right side of the usual diesel efficiency of course.

It's not the best use for electric, as emissions from motorways aren't a huge health hazard (compared to an equal amount of N2O in the centre of a city, for example), but it might be worth looking into

ETA: This is the kind of use that would be best served with a train, if there was any spare room on the rail network. The similarity with an electric locomotive using overhead wires or a third rail is really an outcome of the requirement

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    ETA: This is the kind of use that would be best served with a train, if there was any spare room on the rail network. The similarity with an electric locomotive using overhead wires or a third rail is really an outcome of the requirement
    My morning commute on the train works out at about 50p per mile, so I'm guessing being electric isn't helping costs much there. I do wonder if self driving electric taxis are more likely to kill off trains than private cars. 50p per mile is a lot to be crammed into a vehicle that doesn't quite go where you want to go or at the time you want to go there. But at least you get the opportunity to get stuff stolen off your bike from the bike sheds

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
      • Storage:
      • Force MP600 1TB PCIe SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w + Dell 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I think to many that technology already exists in the form of a "Taxi". Even removing the taxi-driver element, other forms of transport may be nicer.
    Tesla already have this in the pipeline. The idea being you drive to work in your car, but once there, you car is made available to others as a transport service. You get some revenue for your car not sitting in a car park for the whole day. Then, it will ensure it's back at the car park for you to drive (or be driven) home.
    The model exists, although of course, isn't being put into application right now, but it shows that Tesla are forward thinking and would like to offer this up for those who wish to partake in it.

My Model S is on AP1 / HW1 so whilst I have Autopilot for main roads, it doesn't have the hardware for fully autonomous driving.

Order an AP2 car however, and they list it as an option.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tfboy View Post
    Tesla already have this in the pipeline. The idea being you drive to work in your car, but once there, you car is made available to others as a transport service. You get some revenue for your car not sitting in a car park for the whole day. Then, it will ensure it's back at the car park for you to drive (or be driven) home.
    The model exists, although of course, isn't being put into application right now, but it shows that Tesla are forward thinking and would like to offer this up for those who wish to partake in it.

I can't see that working, for Tesla, at least on current models.

I'd question how many people that can afford £70k to £160k cars are so desperate for "revenue" from them that they're willing to risk getting some unknown oik use it as a taxi, at anything remotely resembling the kind of rate people will pay for a taxi.

Personally, there's exactly no chance I'd do that. If I needed the revenue that badly, I couldn't afford the Tesla in the first place. I'd rather slum it, spend 'only' £50k or so on a Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc, and forego the "revenue".

And that's if the car were fully automated. If the "unknown oik" was actually driving, the circumstances don't exist where I'd be willing to rent out a performance or luxury car unless I had an ironclad guarantee that "you break it (or even scratch it), you bought it).

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
      • Storage:
      • Force MP600 1TB PCIe SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w + Dell 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

It's a paradigm shift really. Regardless of the financial value of the car, a lot of people (myslef included) would have some reservations to doing it. It's all about changing the way see cars as personal vehicles and making them less personal and more as a service. You wouldn't have to enrol if you didn't like the look of it, and to be fair, we're still a few years away from perhaps the tech and certainly legislation permitting it.

Also, what's to say the oik would actually drive it? It could potentially be just an autonomous service. The guy just informs where he wants to go and sit in the back, just like a JohnnyCab in Total Recall

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tfboy View Post
    It's a paradigm shift really. Regardless of the financial value of the car, a lot of people (myslef included) would have some reservations to doing it. It's all about changing the way see cars as personal vehicles and making them less personal and more as a service. You wouldn't have to enrol if you didn't like the look of it, and to be fair, we're still a few years away from perhaps the tech and certainly legislation permitting it.

Also, what's to say the oik would actually drive it? It could potentially be just an autonomous service. The guy just informs where he wants to go and sit in the back, just like a JohnnyCab in Total Recall
    I hear you, but even if the oik isn't driving, you don't know what else he/the/they are doing in your car .... especially if they're not having to drive it. I mean, for example, said oik has had 15 pints and a curry, and proceeds to upchuck the lot all over the Connolly leather and Wilton-carpetted interior of your pride and joy.

Unfortunately, there's a proportion of the population, and it may be a minority but I'd suggest it's a sizeable one, that has little or no respect for other people's property, as many landlords renting out houses have discovered to their considerable cost.

Personally ... and obviously I can only speak personally, I would be prepared to use such a service as an "oik", but no way, no way in hell, am I buying a car and then letting it be used as a taxi.

Again, personally speaking, a very large part of why I buy a car is for personal transport. A very large part of that is having there when I want it, unplanned abd at a moment's notice. Another part is having my knick-knacks in it, be it my spare coat, or a personal music selection for my expensive car sound system, my choice of sweets or an emergrncy dose of medication.

If all I wanted was a car on call, then I can do that now with a choice of personal hire car services, calling a cab, booking an uber or renting a car. bring prepared to suffer depreciation, pay insurance, servicing costs etc, is all about having personal transport, at my beck and call, on a whim. Why buy a car if it's no longer 'personal'. I just don't see it, I'm afraid.

Thanks

If you need the revenue, sell the Tesla and buy a Toyota UBER.... I mean, Camry....

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Why buy a car if it's no longer 'personal'. I just don't see it, I'm afraid.
    Why buy a house when you already have one? I think this is the car version of buy-to-let, *if* the car can turn a profit if just permanently turned loose then it becomes a simple return on investment calculation. If Tesla take a slice of the money as part of the service, then they get to make money from other people putting up the capital.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Why buy a house when you already have one? I think this is the car version of buy-to-let, *if* the car can turn a profit if just permanently turned loose then it becomes a simple return on investment calculation. If Tesla take a slice of the money as part of the service, then they get to make money from other people putting up the capital.
    But "buy to let" cars isn't what's under discussion. It's renting out your car for short-term "taxi" use by utter unknowns.

As for houses, buy-to-let is one thing but I can think of NO circumstances, short of utter desperation, where I'd rent a room in my home out, let alone to a complete unknown, by the hour. And for much the same "it's personal" reason. In my home, I'm the King of my castle and, subject only the the joint rule of my Queen, could not relax with strangers wandering on and out of rented rooms. I want to ge able go wander around in the buff if I want, or play music or watch TV with the sound up, or Hoover at stupid-o'clock, if it suits me, without inconveniencing others, or being inconvenienced by others doing the same

A buy-to-let property is an investment, not a home. A buy-to-taxi car is a business decision and that, after due diligence, I might do, but rent out my own car, especially if it's a Tesla-priced car, oh hell, no. Not a hope in hell. You will see me renting my car out on some kind of time-share shortly after you see the King of Hell dancing the fandango in a pink tutu, while singing Abba's Dancing Queen.

And if you do see that, I expect video proof.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    As for houses, buy-to-let is one thing but I can think of NO circumstances, short of utter desperation, where I'd rent a room in my home out, let alone to a complete unknown, by the hour........I want to ge able go wander around in the buff if I want....
    I think that in situations where rooms are rented out by the hour, walking round in the buff wouldn't be an issue at all!!!

16. Received thanks from:

directhex (16-06-2017),Jonj1611 (16-06-2017)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    I think that in situations where rooms are rented out by the hour, walking round in the buff wouldn't be an issue at all!!!
    Seen me in the buff? I wouldn't say there's no issue .... unless I was renting rooms by the 10 seconds. And bolted the exit.

And we do seem to have gone quite a long way off-topic.

18. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (19-06-2017)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information