Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bargain tyres - I've been testing now (for many years)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Bargain tyres - I've been testing now (for many years)

Lo good people and drivers of the world

I'm running a 15 year old 2004 Skoda Octavia 130bhp and before that the 20 year old shaggy 1998 Polo 1.4
    Plus my family has a 2011 Subaru Forester and before that a 2007 Civic 2.2 DTI
    Before those I was driving an 05 Saab 150 TiD, and for a while we owned a 1990 Civic 1.6 VTEC Del Sol on Winter tyres!

And what I have been doing is running the CHEAPEST CHOICE ALL SEASON TYRES that I can possibly find.

Now I'm not here to tell you to buy cheap tyres - in fact I'd suggest you don't tbh. As you will see the risks are .. variable! But I'm happy enough on these cheapies, doing 22k miles per year in al weathers, 50% motorway, 50% country lanes.

I buy nearly all of them online and have a friend fit and balance them, and over the years I have come across some real surprises, good and bad
    Now a Subaru Forester is a very very different car for tyre wear to a front wheel drive scrabble wagon and it shows in tyre wear. That Subaru is big and heavy, with a lot of grip and tyres last really well.

I change all tyres in pairs on the same axle and keep the Sub front and rear axle dimilar tread depth, though not always same brand.
    I tend to put new ones on the front, wear them to 4mm and then put new on the front and the 4m to the rear. Nothing goes below 2.5mm in summer or 3mm in winter

Here's the list and the surpises:
    Kleber Quadraxer - my all round favourite, but steadily becoming more expensive as their popularity grows. Good tyre wear and good grip in snow, great on gravelly roads and quite acceptable all year round. Had them on Saab and Civic and they rock
    Kumho SOLUS VIER KH21 - no where near as good but still acceptable and better value. Not much use with larger BHP
    Mastersteel All Weather 225/55 17s - there are still on the Subaru and are great all round... BUT I list the size on this because.... read on
    Mastersteel All Weather 205/55 16 - on the Skoda - the worst pair of ditch finders I have ever had the missfortune of having to drive

I shall expand - I had them fitted to the rear of my Skoda and on the way home, in mild rain I had 2 sideways, omne substantial... I moved them to the front, turned off traction control and roughed them up which helped a tad and then drove them for 13,000 miles, They are stilll the worst tyres I have ever had and while looking just like the 1" largers ones on the Subaru, are so bad I would never let my wife drive it. They are gone now. Never ever again. I'd not trust that brand now as I think they got popular and changed compound.

Ling Long Green Max All Season - on the Skoda, excellent in every respect except that they start quite shallow when new, so maybe the factory saves money by using less rubber. However, utterly dependable in all seasons
    Good Ride SW608 Winter tyres - these are awesome on the Subaru and not bad in mud either! They have lasted over 30,000 miles in all seasons even though they are close to the end now, I love these. Hard to get in the right size though

now because those Goodrides are so good I then chose
    Goodride SW602 All Seasons for the Skoda and they are brilliant. I have no idea about tyre wear yet as they are new on last week but at £40 each for 16" delivered, I ordered another 2 yesterday for when the Ling Longs are down.
    Fate Antartika's which were on the VTEC 8000rpm missile and even in Summer they were progressive and smooth to break way. Fate are, again another value steady brand

So, there you have it - lots and lots lots of miles (well over 100,000 between Saab, Civic, Polo, Forester, Octavia) on mid... to cheap..... to ultra budget tyres and so far only 1 really bad cock up WHICH should not have been bad as the previous were so good (and still are)

Now I know many of you spend lots of money on tyres and do you know what? I agree.... it's a good thing to justify, because they are the only 4 things touching the road. But budgets are budgets and my cars are all maintained heavily, with constant fettling. And I have saved a lot of money with tyres that millions of people across Europe trust in snow and ice. And on the whole.. they're right to do so!
    Last edited by Zak33; 21-10-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: bold on the different cars with age now showing

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

2. Received thanks from:

hb904460 (21-10-2019),jimborae (09-11-2019),Millennium (18-10-2019),neonplanet40 (20-10-2019)

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Re: Bargain tyres - I've been testing now (for many years)

For many people they don't know better than the brand (or have no luck with a cheap tyre) so they just buy the more expensive options.

I am very good at stating the obvious. Obvious stuff like I have no idea how good I am at things I haven't done yet : ]

How about more sporty driving? Do you think the compounds are now so generic that even if you are cornering or (of course) accelerating like an impressive insect with a lot of moment of inertia value and momentum? Like, pushing a corner?
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    Fate Antartika's which were on the VTEC 8000rpm missile and even in Summer they were progressive and smooth to break way. Fate are, again another value steady brand
    The 2.2TDI was a Beemer engine wasn't it. VTECs have always been petrol and only recently got the DTEC for the diesel engines?

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    The 2.2TDI was a Beemer engine wasn't it. VTECs have always been petrol and only recently got the DTEC for the diesel engines?
    He said he owned a Civic Del Sol which was available with a 1600cc B-series engine, they revved to around the 8k region.

Thanks
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    He said he owned a Civic Del Sol which was available with a 1600cc B-series engine, they revved to around the 8k region.
    My bad, kinda missed it after reading that he owned a diesel civic, would have been nice to have to have a honda 2.2D turb that revved that high though XD

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

Anyone tried the Copper all weathers ? - they are cheaper then the Goodyears and Michelin. My choice is the CrossClimates but the price is getting silly.

Thanks

I use Michelin Cross Climates, that prices are going up but best tyres I have ever bought, I have bought budget in the past from Nankang and Rotella etc and they just haven't been as good, the nankang were lethal in the wet.
    Jon

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

This thread has been incredibly useful as I'd not managed to find all year tyres for my car 185/55R16 from Blackcircles or similar, so a follow up question: Where are you getting your tyres assuming it's not a local indie?

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

My price/performance tyres (235/45/18) are currently Avons. I have found them to be excellent.

Not surprising when I found them excellent in my last car as well. I have tried Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and wasn't impressed as the tread went very quickly and they are very overpriced to begin with (£160+ a corner). I only got 12k miles from them (I'm not a sporty driver).

I would expect at least 20K. Time will tell how much I get out of the Avons. I used to get around 25k in my old Ford. I hope for about 20k now.

I also tried Uniroyal rainsport 3's. Again, found these to be a decent tyre but the softer rubber caused them to wear overly quickly.

I have always wanted to be able to have winter tyres. But my tyres tend to cost a lot. So it isn't economical for me right now. Maybe some day!

But I would highly recommend Avon's.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    I have tried Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and wasn't impressed as the tread went very quickly and they are very overpriced to begin with (£160+ a corner). I only got 12k miles from them (I'm not a sporty driver).

I would expect at least 20K.
    Yeah, that's not good. Alignment OK? I'm at just over 3mm left on my PS4 fronts after 21k miles.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Yes, I had it checked and it was all fine. The middle of my tyre tread wore out quickest. THis was normally mean overinflation. But I have stuck to the recommendations for my cars tyre pressure. I may stick to the low end of that now (i always aimed for the middle)
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Yes, I had it checked and it was all fine. The middle of my tyre tread wore out quickest. THis was normally mean overinflation. But I have stuck to the recommendations for my cars tyre pressure. I may stick to the low end of that now (i always aimed for the middle)
    likely they warm up more than others and hence the slight over inflation

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Because I can have tyres fitted locally, for a sensible price with a sensible disposal price for the old ones, I buy all my tyres online from Oponeo

15. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (22-10-2019)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    How about more sporty driving? Do you think the compounds are now so generic that even if you are cornering or (of course) accelerating like an impressive insect with a lot of moment of inertia value and momentum? Like, pushing a corner?
    the compound isn't as important that the flex, in both tyre wall and the tread blocks.
    Winter and All Season tyres don't have solid blocks.. they have micro groves cut in them. Ultimate on the limit grip is, on the whole sacrificed.. but on 75% of them they're much easier to drive quickly as they let go quite gently. Rubbish for flat out lap times, but quite nice daily and safely on roads.

With the exception of the bad tyres.... which were just utterly dire!

17. Received thanks from:

Millennium (21-10-2019)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

this photo shows what I mean

thats a Good Ride SW608 and I quite quite like them

Each tyre tread block is split by numerous small zigzag slits to allow them to flex around snow.

it does mean that they wear a little faster and than they flex on aggresive cornering, and aren't as sharp as normal solid block tyres. But it's quite easy to adapt.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

My price/performance tyres (235/45/18) are currently Avons. I have found them to be excellent.
    Likewise.
    I've run Avons on my bikes for ages, trying various different models and always found them to be well worth the money.
    Found the Avon ZV7 for the car in 205/55 R16 V, highly rated for wet grip and longevity, so slapped some o' them on and have been very happy.

20. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (22-10-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information