Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Electric racing?

Thanks

Anyone into Electric racing?

As title really, sat here in Saudi at the mo covering the first 2 races of Season 7 of the Formula E series, you'd think being in the desert that the weather would be nice, we had 2 days of rain and some hail when we got here, still, suns out now...

Last FE event I did was in Mexico last year, cars sound wrong..

Thanks

Re: Anyone into Electric racing?

Can't take FE seriously.
    Mickey mouse tracks, fan boost, attack mode....

Can't they just do races on normal race tracks without the gimmicks??

3. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (28-02-2021),kalniel (28-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    As title really, sat here in Saudi at the mo covering the first 2 races of Season 7 of the Formula E series, you'd think being in the desert that the weather would be nice, we had 2 days of rain and some hail when we got here, still, suns out now...

Electric racing? Not really. I did dabble with te ones about 12 inches long a few yeas back if that counts.

As for deserts, I remember visiting Las Vegas several yeas running, in November. First 3 or 4 years in was high 80s/low 90s (F) so, next time, as I was flying in from Florida and that was in the 80s, I thought .... yup, shorts and t-shirt.

So, on approach, the Captain comes over the speaker announcing our descent and informed us it was a "chilly" 46F.

I nearly passed out.

It was emphatically brass monkeys, because my jeans, etc, were in my bag .... in the hold.

Following day .... back in the 80s. Figures.

Deserts? Highly unpredictable, IMHO. And often go from sweltering during the day to nearly freezing at night.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post

I forgot this existed! But have now watched the highlights of a race on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MRzyv0_Rw
    Looks alright. Regarding the way they sound, I assume this is the way F1 cars will sound when they go full electric in the future.

Also, the "Attack Mode" sounds very vidya games... I approve....

If there was a way for me to watch it, I would. Don't care for BBC, and youtube only seem to have highlights. Oh well.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

As one of the few motorsports on free-to-air, I do watch it. But I agree that the tracks are ridiculous and don't allow for much of what I'd normally call racing. I'd love to see them on real tracks, though then they'd probably look as slow as they really are. But that would be fine with me - stick them on small club circuits around the UK that aren't safe enough to race anything faster, and stop with the go-faster gimmicks.

Thanks

Tracks need to be proper width tracks, no idea what the narrow stuff is about, limits overtaking and increases chances of bumps..

We did have a missile attack yesterday though so that was fun, apparently, we've had 4 in the last few days, only heard about the one last night because the crown prince dude was there so it was in the news a bit more..

There's plenty of places to watch it, according to the FE page on LinkedIn they're got TV deals everywhere, as have the Extreme-E guys so you might see me crop up on that as well as I might be back in Saudi for the first Ex-E race.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/watch...297f2ac3763b23

I was just up the track from where Sam Bird and one of the Mahindra drivers had a bit of an incident, he came into the pits for a nose swap, the pit guys couldn't lock the right front side of the nose in properly so it was pretty clear the car was a touch out of line, he did a few laps, came in for tyres, then back in a few laps later to retire, backed into the garage, jumped out of his car and stormed up to the Mahindra garage, not sure if it ended up on TV but as he stormed up the pit lane a few camera crews all charged up after him to capture the action lol..

Also had my hand in stopping a possible issue at the start, one of the teams left a wheel chock on the grid when they set off for the formation lap, told a marshal and that was promptly removed..
    Managed to get a few bits of footage from both days but missed the big chunk of bodywork that came off, flew into the air, bounced off of the track and then back into the air and over the barrier, could have been interesting if anyone hit it..

Next race is meant to be Rome, but we'll see how that goes with The Rona' cases in the area, Rome could be shifted to later and the next race somewhere else, or I might end up at Alula with Extreme-E in a month or so instead...

Nice to get back out and about again though, packed up and ready to come home, RT-PCR sorted, just have to see how flights go as some guys that left yesterday are still sat at the airport apparently...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

We are hearing about the missiles here, hope you're safe.

We didn't see Bird storm to Mahindra (Alex Lynn) - seemed clear Alex moved twice on him though.

Did you see the Mortara move on Evans and Wehrlein?! I think that's going to be the overtake of not just this season, but all seasons up till now.

Thanks

We heard a few explosions just before the fireworks started, and thought they were fireworks elsewhere tbh it was only about half an hour later that we heard there had been a patriot intercept.

I managed to get his tyre change on video but wasn't expecting him to come back in that soon so only managed to get 2 snaps as the car backed into the garage, I was trying to get stuff up on periscope but my wifi signal back to RC kept dropping out so some bits made it and some were just local videos, I might stick them up on YT at some point but will see when I get home, I think the missus has other plans for me as I've been away for 2 weeks, looks like the flights still a go though as some of the guys we know made it back today and its not saying anything about the flight tomorrow being cancelled..

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

My son and I have a battered old Tamiya Grasshopper.... does this count?

It has the Tamiya Sport tuned motor in it .. so is all the speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I've wanted to as an Ex-F1 fan (thanks Sky ) but I've never have the time with youngish kids. Its definitely something I'm keen on getting into ever since I drove an electric car as a courteous car. Burning hydrocarbons just seems a little like a steam train. Sure its not without its fun but I'm always keen on moving forward to the latest and greatest (And that instant torque is rather nice).
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

I watched a bit of Formula E the other day for the first time. My first impressions was it is a bit like watching RC cars. They didn't seem to be fast enough and on the limits like F1 cars, so I guess it was more like watching kart racing. I haven't even watched much of a full race I would imagine that it will be could become like the tour de France because of battery conservation and they follow each other trying to minimise drag. I suppose they have a similar thing in F1 with being able to turn up and down engine power and that doesn't seem to be an issue though.

I think I would find it more interesting if they were AI controlled rather than human and perhaps when AI isn't terrible have it mixed and see what happens.

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

I want to follow it as F1 is now so boring. Won't even watch it anymore. So I watch AMA supercross.
    Will wait till Jenson really gets into it then will start watching.

Thanks

Next race might be on a proper track..

failing that, there's EV buggy things in the desert soon, I'm down for that one, certainly interesting from a tech POV for us..

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Once they move to proper tracks I'm in. F1 is now so boring

Thanks

Yeah proper tracks would be good, not sure if its just down to the street track thing or not..

I've seen where the ExE race is going to be though, one of our guys was out there before coming down to Riyahd for the FE event, I've got a 5Gb 15-minute long video of him driving about out there, should be interesting...

Thanks

So, I might have overstepped it when I said interesting, so far its been hot and dusty, Al'ula is nothing like Riyadh, its like a really big long beach where you cant see the sea, and there's no bar...

Not sure if anyone has been looking at the Extreme-E stuff at all but the race formats changing due to dust etc on-site so having all the cars on the track at the same time is going to be hell unless you're at the front so that's all changing...

Race after this one is Senegal, so more sand....

Oh, and on the FE thing, apparently at Monaco (if it goes ahead) they're doing the full circuit, so that should be a lot better, although the cars arent as fast..
    Marrakesh cancelled, Rome and Valencia double headers, not sure about the rest of the season..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information