Thread: Uni courses about car mechanics

Thanks

Uni courses about car mechanics

Hi guys.

The time of year has come for me to really start looking at Uni courses. I have thought for a while now that some sort of car mechanics degree would be a) useful in the real world. b) fun to do.

I was looking at the motorsport courses at Swansea Uni as they are meant to be good. and '...have close ties with British Touring Cars.' Which appealed to me.

Can anyone in the business give me any advice as to if this is a good choice for a career? or anyone doing a course same as/similar to this course?

Sounds like a fun course though

Thanks
    Will

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    I know nothing about car mechanics myself but i have two good friends, one of which will be starting UNI now and taking car design as a course. I have another who is going into his last year and taking Mechanical Engineering. The latter is probably more suited to what you are after Although it is not entirely car based he does know an awful lot about car and other technical things.

The link for his course is HERE To show the depth what he learnt from this course the Univeristy have a karting project each year which he has helped build and design the car which competes with other UNI's around the world!! The site for the car is HERE

It all depends on how many points or grades you are predicted. Birmingham is a top UNI and requires higher grades, there will be of course, lesser points needed for other UNI's but i would imagine some kind of Science A-Level would be needed and at least AS Maths??!! I could be wrong though.

Hope that helps

Wilko
    Last edited by TomWilko; 28-09-2003 at 10:29 AM.
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    Thanks Tom,
    Birmingham is added to the list of possibles damn parents, never stop going on about it....

The reason i was interested in Swansea, is because my sisters friend went out with a guy, who went to swansea and is now an F3000 mechanic. Which is kinda where i would want to be heading...

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Yeh its very possible you could be heading in that direction.

I heard Ferrari recruits from Cambridge So if your good enough to go there (i.e genius) then get urself in!

Thanks
    Well balls to Ferrari then!! also im a mclaren man, suppose there is money to be had in trading secrets

hehe

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Like most things, you aren't going to walk straight through the door as an undergraduate and go straight to the top job. Most of the chief mechanics in Forumla 1 i doubt will be in their 20's or even early 30's. If you have a flair for it tho, they will pick you up at some point

Thread Information