Thread: My Rally Car Build is moving again :)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

My Rally Car Build is moving again :)

At last.....after talking to literally hundreds of people, ALL of whom use Kent cams with no hassle I got a third one, all new followers etc again and its going in. Vernier Cam wheel as well, for fine tuning of cam timing.

Dave is fitting it today and will drive it over the weekend so we shall soon see I have just done some Gearbox studying and I have a wide ratio kit in at the moment. Rather than swapping to a close ratio set, I'm going to drop the final drive totally with a new Crown Wheel and Pinion and keep the gears apart as they are, minus the drop on the pinion.

So after the cam is sorted, the 3.7:1 ratio comes out, and the 4.17 ratio goes in. Later we can go to a 4.5. But my colleagues Nova has that in and he runs out of revs on the long stuff.

Reason: The car as standard has a lot of torque, mid range. We are losing a bit of the low end and its being moved up the range with the higher profile cam. Should be good for proper clean power to 6500. They start to tail off as standard after 5900 ish normally. Might need a Chip. Already have a Fuel Pressure Regulator and a serious exhaust and filter kit.

As standard, the car would not quite reach the red line in 4th gear. It would go faster, in road speed, by changing up to 5th and that dropped the revs back to a torque level high enough to continue through the wind buffeting. Top speed in 4th was 110 at 6000rpm!!!

Way way too fast for a rally car....so the cam shall raise the potential revs and the lower final drive will drop the speed per gear. Going from a 3.7 to a 4.17 should drop that top speed in 4th at 6000 to 97mph. 13mph gone. Thats a good drop (I hope).

One of the venues we use has 2 very long straights......the top cars all run out of gears, about 135 to 140 mph.
    Our 1.3 Skoda....deary me....we had time for tea and toast , and read the news paper while waiting for the car to get to 4th gear
    Literally....no joke...its a great car, BUT its slow. Dave and I actually had small conversations on that straight this year. I got the giggles once and we literally had to move over, let the Pug205's and 106's past, and then try to nail them at the next chicane.

So this Astra should be bang in the middle

Fingers crossed guys

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Where'd my avator go?
    Thanks
    Mk2? Mk3? 2.0? Ecotec? XE?

So many questions, plus the need for graphical representation!

Thanks
    Never had the opportunity to see a Skoda in person let alone drive one but I take your word for it

Sounds like loads of fun as long as the cam problem is sorted out this time. Good luck, I know personally how frustrating those kinds of racing troubles can be. Racing and golf are a lot alike, on the occasional good day it can't get any better, on the many bad days you wonder why in the heck you love this sport so much

Good Luck with this one Matt

Let us know how you do with this one, does the weather over there stop you from rallying or do you run in snow too?

Peter

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Its not built yet, but snow is the way forward......er.....sideways

Knobbly tyres real skinny....

Maffu......Mk 3 1.6 multi point 8v. 100 bhp standard. NOT ECO TEC :shivvers:

This needs to be realiable. Easy.......Im not too good with XE's and stuff. I'll ask a mechanic whatI have in it. I just know them by site and drive

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information