View Poll Results: Is Jenson right to move to McLaren?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it's a genius move

17 60.71%
  • Not a chance he's gone all daft in the head man!

11 39.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Button to McLaren - Good or Bad?

Thanks

Button to McLaren - Good or Bad?

So it looks like Jenson's finally made his mind up and jumped-ship to McLaren in a move reminicent of his previous team-swapping shennanigans.

Had Button made the right choice and why?

Will it be Fisichella all over again or do you think he can shine in a car built for someone else?

IMHO it's a poor decision.
    Jenson is reknown for his sensitivity to the car so I think it will take him too long to adapt to a car designed for Lewis - if he ever does manage to adapt.
    I really really hope I'm wrong!
    Last edited by Vimeous; 18-11-2009 at 01:54 PM.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

Re: Button to McLaren - Good or Bad?

I think its poor that Brawn haven't met his pay demands after he stuck with the team through thick and thin. Plus I think a change will do him good, he has been with Honda for ages?
    Gets to work with completely different people, gain new insights etc.
    It might turn out to be a what happened to Fisichella in the Ferrari but I really don't think that will happen to him.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Ask most drivers if they'd take up the chance to drive for McLaren and I think they'd say yes.

The car won't suit him at first, but if it's a decent length contract I think if any team can make a car behave in two different ways it's McLaren.

Kimi's manager said the only car he was interested in driving was a McLaren, but they wouldn't pay his wage demands (on top of the pay off money from Ferrari).

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

I thought the whole reason why Button had to move on is because Mercedes bought Brawn and they wanted an all German line up for their drivers, with Button not being German I guess he had to go where he thinks has a chance for him to keep his championship hope alive for the next season. Also the money will help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a View Post
    I thought the whole reason why Button had to move on is because Mercedes bought Brawn and they wanted an all German line up for their drivers, with Button not being German I guess he had to go where he thinks has a chance for him to keep his championship hope alive for the next season. Also the money will help.
    Norbert Haug (Merc F1 boss) was extremely keen to point out they didn't want an all-German team in an interview on Monday. Maybe they were trying to keep Jensen sweet

For Brawn I think it'll appear worse next year than it would otherwise. With both their experienced front-line drivers gone there's a huge continuity gap in the development of the car.
    If they do grab Heidfeld then at least they plug that gap with plenty of experience.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

It'll be good for McLarren - they can expect the lion's share of media coverage next season, pleasing/attracting sponsors. It'll also be pretty good for Jenson - it appears he will have a good car next season, possibly better than the Mercedes team car and the extra cash will help his ego.

I think he'll struggle to match Lewis in pace though. I can't see him winning the championship again. Second would be a good result though.

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow
    Thanks

Lets hope they'll be a British GP next season then eh?
    You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Big, Mean and Ugly! circuitmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    • circuitmonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H61-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 2100T
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Balck + 1TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX430M
      • Case:
      • NZXT M59
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Vista business (64 bit), XP Pro (32bit), Ubuntu (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" FHD + 2X 19"1280 x 1024
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre broadband

Hopefully they'll make Hamilton play second fiddle to Button, the girlfriends mother thinks it would be good for him, she thinks Hamilton is a bit of a premadona!
    But a pair of brit drivers, racing for an English manufacturer. I agree with midtz, lets hope for a british GP, London street race anyone?

Thanks

I think it was the sensible move under the circumstances. Brawn were dragging their heals and really weren't showing much determination to reward Button.

Would have been nice to see him stay but I think he has gone to a team that can build him a good car. I just hope that he gets the equal treatment that McLaren always say they give.

Rumours are now going round that Schumacher may sign for Mercedes (Brawn and Schumacher together again!).

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Terrible move, he'll see his career go down hill. There's no way he'll get the same results as Hamilton. He'll then become disillusioned with the team and the Mclaren golden boy wondering if Hamiltons getting the better of it.
    Mclaren have a history of it, if the 2 times world champ Alonso went to Mclaren and was made to look ordinary in Hamiltons first season, what chance has Button got? As much as i like button, i can't help but feel Buttons not quite in the same league as the likes of Hamilton and Alonso.

He should have taken the offer at brawn/Mercedes while it was still being offered. Mclaren just need someone to accept playing second fiddle.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro

Most people have been panning him for years in F1 (certainly the armchair racers have), even after showing an amazing amount of loyalty, bringing home both championships, and showing some incredible talent, he *still* gets panned by the futon fanboys and some of the industry pundits.

Some people are still flogging the dead horse of money - It's absolutely *not* about money - he's actually on less money than if he had re-signed and continued to race for Brawn/Mercedes.

It's fairly clear from what he has said in numerous interviews already that he wants to prove his critics and doubters wrong by taking on Lewis in his own garage - He knows it's going to be the challenge of a lifetime, and that's exactly why he's doing it.

Jenson knows how to fight, how to bring home the car and the points, and knows that McLaren are one of the best development teams on the grid, it's not going to be easy, but he's under no illusion that it will be.

He also has a 3 year contract, which appears to be getting rather scarce in F1 these days, and that Mercedes were only offering a 1 year dear with a 2nd year option shows who valued him for the long run more.

Good on him I say - at the very least he'll be another DC for them, but with the added bonus that he has already won the ultimate prize already. But he has the option with hard work and determination to indelibly leave his mark and stand up there with the other great names in the history of the sport

It was the only real sensible career move - he could well have been left high and dry in Mercedes in a year or so without the option to jump to another competitive team - he now has a minimum of another three years at the sharp end.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

12. Received thanks from:

j.o.s.h.1408 (21-11-2009),MadduckUK (21-11-2009)

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Quote Originally Posted by stoo View Post
    gets panned by the futon fanboysed to race for brawn/mercedes.
    And some of the industry pundits.

Some people are still flogging the dead horse of money - it's absolutely *not* about money - he's actually on less money than if he had re-signed and continu
    it's fairly clear from what he has said in numerous interviews already that he wants to prove his critics and doubters wrong by taking on lewis in his own garage - he knows it's going to be the challenge of a lifetime, and that's exactly why he's doing it.

Jenson knows how to fight, how to bring home the car and the points, and knows that mclaren are one of the best development teams on the grid, it's not going to be easy, but he's under no illusion that it will be.

He also has a 3 year contract, which appears to be getting rather scarce in f1 these days, and that mercedes were only offering a 1 year dear with a 2nd year option shows who valued him for the long run more.

Good on him i say - at the very least he'll be another dc for them, but with the added bonus that he has already won the ultimate prize already. But he has the option with hard work and determination to indelibly leave his mark and stand up there with the other great names in the history of the sport

it was the only real sensible career move - he could well have been left high and dry in mercedes in a year or so without the option to jump to another competitive team - he now has a minimum of another three years at the sharp end.
    well said that man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
    Most people have been panning him for years in F1 (certainly the armchair racers have), even after showing an amazing amount of loyalty, bringing home both championships, and showing some incredible talent, he *still* gets panned by the futon fanboys and some of the industry pundits.

Some people are still flogging the dead horse of money - It's absolutely *not* about money - he's actually on less money than if he had re-signed and continued to race for Brawn/Mercedes.

It's fairly clear from what he has said in numerous interviews already that he wants to prove his critics and doubters wrong by taking on Lewis in his own garage - He knows it's going to be the challenge of a lifetime, and that's exactly why he's doing it.

Jenson knows how to fight, how to bring home the car and the points, and knows that McLaren are one of the best development teams on the grid, it's not going to be easy, but he's under no illusion that it will be.

He also has a 3 year contract, which appears to be getting rather scarce in F1 these days, and that Mercedes were only offering a 1 year dear with a 2nd year option shows who valued him for the long run more.

Good on him I say - at the very least he'll be another DC for them, but with the added bonus that he has already won the ultimate prize already. But he has the option with hard work and determination to indelibly leave his mark and stand up there with the other great names in the history of the sport

It was the only real sensible career move - he could well have been left high and dry in Mercedes in a year or so without the option to jump to another competitive team - he now has a minimum of another three years at the sharp end.
    Well, as much as i'd liked to be proved wrong on this, what makes you think he won't end up in exactly the same position as Alonso was in after his time at Mclaren? He was after all a 2 times world champions and the person most of the pundits seems to say is the best driver. But was made to look ordinary by a rookie. Now that rookie has 3 seasons under him and a world champoinship, and Mclaren have been well known throughout their history for having a 'favorite' driver while looking at the second driver as somewhat of a second class driver. (no matter who that was)

Even if Button can show that he can compete in a car the same as Hamilton, how's he supposed to show it if he feels Mclaren are treating him as a second class driver.
    My criticism of the move is as much a criticism of the team ethics of Mclaren as the difference in the drivers. So even if Button is a truely great driver, is he going to get given the chance at Mclaren? With Mclaren as the second driver it's not just a question of talent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Well, as much as i'd liked to be proved wrong on this, what makes you think he won't end up in exactly the same position as Alonso was in after his time at Mclaren? He was after all a 2 times world champions and the person most of the pundits seems to say is the best driver. But was made to look ordinary by a rookie. Now that rookie has 3 seasons under him and a world champoinship, and Mclaren have been well known throughout their history for having a 'favorite' driver while looking at the second driver as somewhat of a second class driver. (no matter who that was)
    Alonso was treated like absolute **** by McLaren (the hierarchy certainly), but you have to assume that things are changing since Dennis left. McLaren were to replace a 2nd-string driver with either Kimi or Button - either way they were going to have 2 of the past 3 champions. That's the exact opposite to the stance Dennis took throughout his career - in nearly 30 years at the top, Dennis only ever had 2 world champions at his team at the same time in 2 of those years - Prost and Rosberg in 1986 and Senna and Prost in 1989.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Alonso was treated like absolute **** by McLaren (the hierarchy certainly), but you have to assume that things are changing since Dennis left. McLaren were to replace a 2nd-string driver with either Kimi or Button - either way they were going to have 2 of the past 3 champions. That's the exact opposite to the stance Dennis took throughout his career - in nearly 30 years at the top, Dennis only ever had 2 world champions at his team at the same time in 2 of those years - Prost and Rosberg in 1986 and Senna and Prost in 1989.
    Scrub assume, and replace it with hope

I would certainly hope the idea of a British team with British drivers works. Certainly be more interest to watch it, but if Mclaren treat him like they did Alonso it will not make for good viewing.

Formerly ma9mwah
    Thanks

I think he'll do pretty well next year. With the removal of refueling the cars are going to get get hard on their tyres at the beginning of the race and jensons style will certainly help out with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information