Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering moving from Fiesta to a Focus or should I do something else..?

Thanks

Considering moving from Fiesta to a Focus or should I do something else..?

Now I know some people are going to call me mad but Im unhappy with my 1.3 Fiesta Finesse (V plate - 1999).

It's ok for the short commutes to work and places around Manchester but once it's on the motorway or anywhere over 40MPH, the road noise is unbearable! I did a 500 miles round trip to Devon a few weekends ago and I can really hear the car & road

I know Im going to lose loads of what I paid for the car if I part exchange, so Im considering selling privately instead.

So Im considering a 1.6 Focus LX. I know a couple of people with them and they are far quieter at speed than my Fiesta.

My insurer would want a piffling 50 a year more to insure the Focus than the fiesta (which I totally don't understand!).

So any suggestions in this situation would help please
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    Have you looked to something like the tyres about the road noise? Whilst the smaller car will usually be louder, I'd not imagine a fairly modern fiesta to be unbearable noise wise. I suppose the 1.3 might make a bit of a din on the motorway though.

If you have the time, sell privately. You should only P/X if you're in a rush or too lazy to write an advert.

The Focus has stupidly low insurance costs. Don't understand it either.

Thanks
    Road noise - haha!

You want to driving

on the motorway!

But seriously though, tyres are often a major factor in road noise. Aside from the fact a Fiesta is a small cheap car so won't have much in the way of heavy sound proofing, trying some decent tyres might help. You could also take the carpet up and put dynomat everywhere. It's quite heavy though so you'd be hit by performance and fuel consumption.

Also, try canceling your policy and then starting a new one for the Focus. Can often work out cheaper, though you may lose a year of no-claims.
    Simon

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    if you want quiet cruising, go bigger than a focus. the next size up will cost less (a passat/mondie is cheaper than the same age golf/focus) and be lots quieter on the road.
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Banned
    Thanks
    Tyres can make a big difference but it really depends on what the sources of noise are? Wind, engine, road/tyre rumble, low gearing, general lack of sound insulation? Find an empty stretch of road, and at 70mph, put the clutch down and see if there's a noticeable difference in noise. Obviously bear in mind any safety concerns and other drivers. It may be the case that your car has low gearing, which coupled with a roughish sounding engine is one of the causes of the noise. What sort of revs do you get at 75mph? It might also be worth having the car stationary, putting it in neutral and holding the revs at the same engine speed as you would get at 75mph to see how noisy the engine is, in isolation.

I used to have a Rover 214 many years ago, and the worst thing was the K series engine because above 4000rpm it made a right din. After a drive from from Chester to London, I'd end up with a headache, and it felt like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. Tiring car to drive on long journeys.

Another suggestion would be to buy some Sony Fontopia headphones but make you get the in ear "earplug" types. They come in 3 different sizes and insulate you from noise superbly (I have a pair). You could plug them into your ears without the accompanying Walkman/stereo.
    Last edited by davidstone28; 25-04-2006 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Focus is cheaper to insure than a Fiesta because it is cheaper to repair. It is bolted and not welded together, thus facilitating faster repairs and therefore cheaper labour costs. Also the car will be more sound after a repair as you unbolt down to the last good section, no messy welds that can cause week areas and lead to future problems.

I own a 1.8 saloon Focus and it is beautifully quiet on the motorway. The saloon means that the rear arches are contained in a boot and it stifles the road roar. Also the focus drives better. Would get one over a fiesta any day.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments

I took it to my local, trusted garage (run by a friend of mine) today for a checkover. We took it out for a spin up the M62.... Two things came out of that....

My tyres are utter crap. They are remoulded, generic "budget" types and need replacing asap. Unbalanced and to put it his way.. "I would NEVER have tyres of such utter s**t on any car ever".

The silencer on my exhaust is shot.

Getting a set of Continental ECO3's fitted tomorrow at RapidFit and a replacement silencer (plus a tune-up) on Thursday

Shall see what happens once that work is done

Thanks
    is it legal to wear hedfones while driving?

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    pretty sure it is - after all cars try their hardest to block out exterior noise
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Quick update to this...

I didn't bother getting the work done. I popped into my local Ford dealer while I was waiting to take my car into rapid fit as the idle valve needs replacing as well along with another part that has gone south. Total potential repair bill of nigh on £600. Bored now, should have got a much newer motor. While in there I ended up nattering to a guy I know from the local pub who works there. Did a couple of test drives out of curiosity.

First I drove a 1.6 2003 Focus. Gorgeous car but I really struggled to handle the car. Im only 5ft 2" and I really felt out of my depth with a large motor like that. I know many people my build & height drive huge cars but I simply didn't feel comfortable in it.

Then I tried a 1.3 Mk6 Fiesta (baby focus) Finesse. Going from a 1.3 finesse Mk5 to a Mk6 version is a HUGE amount of difference. My Mk5 is clunky and feels like an old, tired design.

In comparison, the Mk6 Zetec was a joy to drive. Smooth as silk gears, whisper quiet (I tried to start the engine on the forecourt and had to be told it was already started up) and as comfy as anything. I learned in a brand new Micra and this Fiesta blew it away. It drives & feels like a Focus, just without the body size. I drove one after the other, so I have a good comparison!

So having done a few 30mph bits around Old Trafford, we bobbed up the M62. 70mph is painless in this car. I still could barely hear it. Smooth, controlled. Absolutely awesome.

I know that opinions on Fiestas are much divided but I will say to anyone who is thinking the Mk6 is the same as a Mk5.. take a test drive and feel the difference.

So I dropped the hammer and have part exed my Mk5 for the Mk6. My insurance has stayed the same. Got a 2 year warranty (all parts & labour) and the car looks brand new. Cheap finance as well with option to clear any remainder after 12 months (that's important). It's got 15000 miles on the clock (a mum roundaround, 1 previous owner) and is spotless.

Pick her up on Friday
    Last edited by Shorty; 30-04-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Nice one. You would have got used to the Focus tho - it does feel huge, especially going up from a Ka like I did, but sounds like you've hit paydirt on the Fiesta Good for you, if it fits - wear it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    I was considering a Zetec Fiesta or Focus for my next one as I think I'll have the same problem... I drive a k11, 1L Micra at the moment, and it's perfect apart from being very basic and very tiring to drive long distance, need something with a bit more ooooompf. I might find that a focus is too big for me. (although the KA's feel tiddly to me)

I'm getting a new job soon so that should sort the finance, I might go test drive a Mk6 fiesta then.

Out of curiosity, and the fact that I'm a car numpty... what reg's are the mk6's?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble
    Nice one. You would have got used to the Focus tho - it does feel huge, especially going up from a Ka like I did, but sounds like you've hit paydirt on the Fiesta Good for you, if it fits - wear it!
    I have. I got it from a great price for a 04 plate with that little mileage

Im sure I could have done but I've only been on the road for 12-13 weeks, so lets stick to a small car that I can afford the exhuberent insurance for for a few years first..

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai
    I was considering a Zetec Fiesta or Focus for my next one as I think I'll have the same problem... I drive a k11, 1L Micra at the moment, and it's perfect apart from being very basic and very tiring to drive long distance, need something with a bit more ooooompf. I might find that a focus is too big for me. (although the KA's feel tiddly to me)

I'm getting a new job soon so that should sort the finance, I might go test drive a Mk6 fiesta then.

Out of curiosity, and the fact that I'm a car numpty... what reg's are the mk6's?
    Regs are done differently now from what I know about it (which isn't much!). I know mine was registered in 2004. Which I _think_ is a 54 plate

Thanks
    If it's early 2004, it'll be on a 53 or 04 plate, later 04/early 05 will be a 54 plate

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai

Hi, my first post here asim new, but have been reading these boards for a short time,
    I drove a Cinquecento for over 2years, then drove my GFs clio for two years, now i drive a Mondeo, my GF also drives the mondeo, we are both around 5ft 2. neither of us have problems with the size of the car, ok parking is slightly harder, but apart from that it is very easy to get to grips with and drive.

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    Yeah but from going to a 1L micra to a 1.6 (or above) focus will be a huge difference for me... It's not the height or anything that's the problem but just the perceived size of the car that worries me. I've only ever driven the Micra, so with the change in power i think i would need to get used to it in a car thats a similar size before i move onto something with bigger dimensions and more powah. Does that make sense to anyone?!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information