• NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

advise hexxeh!

hexxeh has gotten sick of the bloody seicento, and has decided to get rid.

hexxeh is interested in a small car with a peppy engine (well, one that works past 65mph at any rate), new or sub-5-years-old, with a spotless reliability reputation (i.e. fiat get bent)

hexxeh has the seicento as deposit (which, given its mileage, ought to get at LEAST 1500 partex)

hexxeh can afford about 200 a month on finance, and would prefer not to spend more than 3 years on repayments if it can be avoided

given hexxeh's tender age, the added cost of new cars may actually be balanced out by free insurance deals - and an actual warranty when things explodinate

hexxeh has been looking at the ford streetka, and should probably stop. he's also been looking at the somewhat more ordinary ka, the honda jazz, toyota yaris and aygo, vw polo, and renault clio. mostly because there's a whole bunch of dealerships north of oxford, so it's only one trip to go see. oh, and the usual 3k->7k second hand suspects. you all know who you are.

hexxeh is a busy person, who likes to sort things quickly & decisively - meaning i'll be peeved if i don't have a replacement for the seicento arranged by the second weekend in june

what should hexxeh buy?

Thanks
    Advice:

Hexxeh should consider desisting from referring to himself in the third person since a) it contributes little to the readability of his posts and b) he's not LJK Setright.

Hexxeh should also realise that the smaller the car, the peppier any given engine feels- and by smaller, I mean the lower the mass. The continuous bloat suffered by pretty much every manufacturer's small cars in recent years has done a great deal to blunt their performance, not only in a straight line but also around corners. This also impacts their fuel efficiency- modern cars have more efficient engines, but they have to do more work, meaning overall fuel consumption is similar.

Thirdly, hexxeh could have a look at his proposed finance model- I.E. £200 per month equalling £2400 a year, and realise that if he bought a car for under £1000 he'd be very unlucky if he had to spend another £1400 to keep it on the road for three years, let alone one year.

Fourthly, hexxeh might observe that the insurance on Rave's MR2 when he purchased it aged 22 was £700 a year (albeit with 2 years NCB) and that over the next five years that came down in reasonably progressive increments to £230 (all TPFT- Fully Comp is pointless on a sub £1000 car).

Finally, hexxeh would only have to look on Autotrader or in the local paper for 15 minutes to see that there is an huge choice of fun, modern classic cars for well under £1000 to choose from. Aforementioned MR2, Clio 16V, Peugeot 205 GTi (or 205 1.4XS as recently eulogised by Chris Harris in Autocar), BMW 318si, Alfa 145/146 etc. etc.

--

If you really can't afford to lose your car to a breakdown once or twice a year, then fine, get a Honda Jazz. They're nice apparently. Otherwise, get something older and more fun. My MR2 never broke down once- it cost me £1300 to buy, £600 to get it through it's first MOT and £500 through it's second. That's £2500 over 2 1/2 years. After that it hardly cost me anything other than petrol, tax and insurance- and it was way more fun to drive than any modern supermini could hope to be. It's rusted in my car parking spot for the last 6 months because I can't afford to replace a rusted exhaust- it's sad, but even if I have to scrap it I've effectively lost £2500 to depreciation in 5 years. Britain is one of the few countries in the world where old bangers make serious financial sense. We buy so many new cars, and suffer such massive depreciation as a result, that you might as well drive something old and cool and spend the money on servicing instead.
    Last edited by Rave; 31-05-2006 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    The Yaris or Jazz would be my choice tbh..........oh and I'd stop talking like that before you end up talking in the fourth person......

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Has hexxeh looked at german counterparts such as Lupos and maybe something slightly bigger like a Polo or an Ibiza? Skoda Fabia? They're the cars I'd go for... I like German cars

Or a Suzuki Swift
    Last edited by Howard; 31-05-2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    The Yaris or Jazz would be my choice tbh..........oh and I'd stop talking like that before you end up talking in the fourth person......
    those two.....no doubt.

but expect high service costs....that swhat comes with reliability on little cars...service dept's making dough from you.

but Rave has a better point....about price..excepot that Hexxeh is already doing that....kind of. Cheaper car, money of maintenance,

I'd have Yaris over Jazz because there are more about and drop more in price

if ...and I mean IF>..you could find a Yaris 1.3 TT you'd be in for a treat..if its insurable

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    Advice:

Hexxeh should consider desisting from referring to himself in the third person since a) it contributes little to the readability of his posts and b) he's not LJK Setright.

Hexxeh should also realise that the smaller the car, the peppier any given engine feels- and by smaller, I mean the lower the mass. The continuous bloat suffered by pretty much every manufacturer's small cars in recent years has done a great deal to blunt their performance, not only in a straight line but also around corners. This also impacts their fuel efficiency- modern cars have more efficient engines, but they have to do more work, meaning overall fuel consumption is similar.

Thirdly, hexxeh could have a look at his proposed finance model- I.E. £200 per month equalling £2400 a year, and realise that if he bought a car for under £1000 he'd be very unlucky if he had to spend another £1400 to keep it on the road for three years, let alone one year.

Fourthly, hexxeh might observe that the insurance on Rave's MR2 when he purchased it aged 22 was £700 a year (albeit with 2 years NCB) and that over the next five years that came down in reasonably progressive increments to £230 (all TPFT- Fully Comp is pointless on a sub £1000 car).

Finally, hexxeh would only have to look on Autotrader or in the local paper for 15 minutes to see that there is an huge choice of fun, modern classic cars for well under £1000 to choose from. Aforementioned MR2, Clio 16V, Peugeot 205 GTi (or 205 1.4XS as recently eulogised by Chris Harris in Autocar), BMW 318si, Alfa 145/146 etc. etc.

--

If you really can't afford to lose your car to a breakdown once or twice a year, then fine, get a Honda Jazz. They're nice apparently. Otherwise, get something older and more fun. My MR2 never broke down once- it cost me £1300 to buy, £600 to get it through it's first MOT and £500 through it's second. That's £2500 over 2 1/2 years. After that it hardly cost me anything other than petrol, tax and insurance- and it was way more fun to drive than any modern supermini could hope to be. It's rusted in my car parking spot for the last 6 months because I can't afford to replace a rusted exhaust- it's sad, but even if I have to scrap it I've effectively lost £2500 to depreciation in 5 years. Britain is one of the few countries in the world where old bangers make serious financial sense. We buy so many new cars, and suffer such massive depreciation as a result, that you might as well drive something old and cool and spend the money on servicing instead.
    i'm already headed up **** creek on the current car's maintenance costs - over £900 in the last 6 months - which is largely why i'm not happy with buying a well-used car

and i have no NCB since I only fairly recently passed my test & got my own insurance, so it's a significant proportion of the cost of a car (my average quotes were 4-figures for TPFT)

that said, the seicento is unusually poorly placed in terms of insurance - group 3 for a small sluggish womens' car is hardly appropriate when it shares that classification with something like a 1.4 megane, and is higher than something properly peppy like a 1.3 ka

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    oh, and to appease Howard, i've extended my search to a couple of the other showrooms at the oxford motor park, which includes VW

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    £900 :| In the time I owned my Cinquecento I had to replace the exhaust back box, handbrake cable and... I can't remember what else, but nothing of any significance whatsoever.

If you have a short (or long) list of cars you like, check places like www.parkers.co.uk for details on reliability, etc. Things from Toyota and VW's side of the world are some of the best in terms of reliability.

Edit: And what do you mean to appease me? It was a suggestion..
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    £900 :| In the time I owned my Cinquecento I had to replace the exhaust back box, handbrake cable and... I can't remember what else, but nothing of any significance whatsoever.
    getting it towed back from southampton to my place was costly. getting the engine completely checked over (and eventually the head gasket replaced) was costly. and the seicento is *all* custom parts (e.g. only the seicento uses a seicento-sized battery, and nothing else fits), so people rape you on spares costs.

If you have a short (or long) list of cars you like, check places like www.parkers.co.uk for details on reliability, etc. Things from Toyota and VW's side of the world are some of the best in terms of reliability.
    seicento reliability: 1.5/5

Edit: And what do you mean to appease me? It was a suggestion..
    it was a joke. based on data from parkers i decided to look at the clio & polo last night. i doubt mercedes (the other german guys at the motor park) will be able to do much for me tho

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    i'm already headed up **** creek on the current car's maintenance costs - over £900 in the last 6 months - which is largely why i'm not happy with buying a well-used car
    Routine maintenance on low mileage cars can hit you as well if you're using a garage. For example, a belt change on from Toyota costs £175 around here. Thats a £20 part.

Out of interest, what managed to set you back £900? That's a lot less than I've got set out for building up a new engine.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan555
    Out of interest, what managed to set you back £900? That's a lot less than I've got set out for building up a new engine.
    pickup from witney to enysham, engine testing, head crack testing, head gasket replacement, re-delivery of car: £620
    battery: £65
    towing from southampton to witney: £240
    MOT due: september
    likelihood of passing without spending hundreds: low
    £900-or-so insurance renewal due: october
    fixing of NEW engine-related problem: £atthispointigiveupandwantareplacementcar

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex

seicento reliability: 1.5/5

it was a joke. based on data from parkers i decided to look at the clio & polo last night. i doubt mercedes (the other german guys at the motor park) will be able to do much for me tho

Yeah they will... Get yourself an old-school Merc 500SL or something equally cool

Oh, you said LOW running costs...

Cost of parts for things like Polos will be higher than Clios I would have thought, but they're more reliable. I'd go for something like an Ibiza. I like them But I'm not sure on costs

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    well i'll see what i see when i go harass people on saturday.

interestingly, only toyota have bothered to reply to my queries - a little courtesy goes a long way

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Post back your findings of course

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    citroen and fiat are both doing 0% apr offers - i've not seen an insurance offer of late. i'd go for a c4 coupe. http://www.citroen.co.uk/offers/prom...ertype=D2&lhn= or a grande punto - which is built on the same bits as the new corsa, so reliability wont be an issue

bit more than yer looking to spend, but the 0% might pull it within your finance options

reliability isnt important on a new car - a 3 year warentee covers it anyways. if you want something to last longer, get an extended warentee (warenteedirect.co.uk) or get a hyundai with a 5 year warentee

if you want to save some cash, sell the sechento yourself, and go to a car supermarket. lots of stuff to drive away, cheap prices without having to haggle, and an as-new car. what can go wrong?

oh and reliabilityindex.co.uk rates every car for reliability. worth noting that there are NO german cars in the top 25, and no non-jap cars in the top 10
    Last edited by 5lab; 31-05-2006 at 11:57 AM.
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    citroen and fiat are both doing 0% apr offers - i've not seen an insurance offer of late.
    insurance offers from ford & toyota right now. and i'd rather not get a fiat - that said, i'd not usually consider peugeot, but the 107 is a toyota aygo. as is the citroen c1, so they should all be japanesey in terms of reliability
    Last edited by directhex; 31-05-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information