Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My skin is attacking my PC

Registered+
    Thanks

Exclamation My skin is attacking my PC

It seems to me that the main enemy of electronics is dust. I have a Fractal define R3 case. It has two intake fans, with quite wide mesh filters. I hoover regularly: room PC is in, and inside the PC itself about every six months. But still there is a build up of dust on the various circuit boards. This obviously reduces the resistance between various components, but also clogs fans,etc. Has anyone found a way of stopping this happening? (I'm assuming that if the filters are fine mesh, they reduce air flow!). It seems to me that manufacturers could design; graphics cards, sound cards etc, to not have exposed, upward facing circuit boards. Is it safe to clean circuit boards(ie: would a cleaning solution and a paint brush, do any damage, more than the dust itself?).

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My skin is attacking my PC

Dust is partially comprised of dead skin cells, but I suspect the major component is fluff and lint from clothing (look at your tumble drier filter) and microscopic mineral particles suspended in air.

Yes, it blocks filters and cooling ducts. You can use a paintbrush to remove it, or an air duster. I use a vacuum cleaner extension hose.

Static build up is sometimes cited as a potential problem - and fast moving dust particles could theoretically generate a static chard=f on plastic items, so if you use a vacuum nozzle, don't let it touch any components. Some also say that causing the fans to spin by sucking air through them could generate a back emf that could damage components. All I can say is that I have never experienced that, but if you are worried, lock the fan blades with a bit of sticky tape - remembering to remove it afterwards.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Easy solution - Clean it monthly!!
    You will likely always get dust in the system. More so if you use cooling fans of any kind. They blow the air in, it bounces around inside and gets stuck in all the nooks, crannies and catch points.
    I use an air duster and a couple of gentle paintbrushes.

The other solution is to have EVERYTHING cooled by external radiator/fan systems and utterly seal the case against ingress of any kind, but that probably costs far more time and money than it's worth... and you'll still have to clean off the rads and fans!!

Registered+
    Thanks

I did clean my graphics card with and air compressor(is that the same as an 'air duster'?). But when I looked at it there was still a layer of dust over circuits. I think the answer really would be design. I think manufacturers could totally redesign the insides of a PC (unless it's a 'built in Obsolescence'). has anyone tried using cleaning sprays, maybe alcohol based? Has anyone come across a case that is designed to keep internal circuits clean,(if not I'll make this a new project!) I'd also like a dust free box for my Hi Fi! (I think I may have posted this in the wrong place, it's obviously my first post!)

Thanks
    • smargh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Xeon E5450 with 775-to-771 Mod
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 80GB/Adaptec 3405 4x 2TB Ultrastar RAID1 / 1x 6TB Hitachi He6 / Dying 2TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-560
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A71
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2400WD
      • Internet:
      • Really Crap ADSL2 <3Mbit

Get an air purifier and put it next to the pc - capture the dust before it hits the fans. Note, however, that air purifier filters are rather expensive to replace.

Or, you can enclose the PC inside a small DIY clean room (box) with a big car air filter, some duct tape, and a few high-speed fans.

Or, I've seen some people go rambo and strap a huge filter & fan on the front to create positive pressure with filtered airflow. The fan & filter will need to be tight together to avoid dust getting through gaps.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm not sure how to THANK someone yet, but I like your thinking. I'm quite OCD anyway. Maybe I could turn my whole flat into a 'clean room'. As peterb says there's alot of fabric dust, and I'd find it hard to get rid of all carpets, bedding,etc. But the air purifier is an interesting idea. My case does have three outlet fans, I thought they might remove the dust, along with the heat! I do use a suction vacuum extension hose, but I'm wary of getting too close to circuits. You're right, if they fitted something like a car air filter to the intake, that would work. Maybe I could rig something with hoses, and filters. This is getting more complicated than I first thought!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by drone567 View Post
    I'm not sure how to THANK someone yet, but I like your thinking. I'm quite OCD anyway. Maybe I could turn my whole flat into a 'clean room'. As peterb says there's alot of fabric dust, and I'd find it hard to get rid of all carpets, bedding,etc. But the air purifier is an interesting idea. My case does have three outlet fans, I thought they might remove the dust, along with the heat! I do use a suction vacuum extension hose, but I'm wary of getting too close to circuits. You're right, if they fitted something like a car air filter to the intake, that would work. Maybe I could rig something with hoses, and filters. This is getting more complicated than I first thought!
    yeah set up an aircon system and sit in your own server room. Great for those hot summer days. You'll be icey cool.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

It might be worth looking at changing how your fans draw in/exhaust air into and out of the case, positive air pressure is supposed to reduce the amount of dust build up in the case as well as improved cooling depending on your setup.

Whether of not this would be suitable for your Fractal case I am not sure but it is good practice experimenting on different ways to keep your case cool and clean, the only thing I will say is that the above method only works if you use fan filters to ensure the extra incoming air does not bring in unwanted dust.
    Last edited by Mick@SCAN; 22-01-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Supermarket Generic Brand AETAaAS's Avatar
    Thanks
    • AETAaAS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Vengeance 3000
      • Storage:
      • Intel 660p 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI SC2
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP Envy 32
      • Internet:
      • 17mbps

If the dust is really getting to you, perhaps you could consider mineral oil cooling?

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks, that is an interesting article about positive pressure. I'm not sure how to use the info exactly, yet. I'll re-read a few times. I have two fans with filters at front, and three outlet fans(side, top, back), so it's possible they are creating a negative internal pressure. I'll have to experiment!!! (as a moderator, can you please tell me how I THANK someone for their reply?) @AETAaAS Maybe one day. I still have to get my head around the idea of a PC in an aquarium full of mineral oil,but it's possibly the future!

Thanks
    • AETAaAS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Vengeance 3000
      • Storage:
      • Intel 660p 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI SC2
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP Envy 32
      • Internet:
      • 17mbps

^This post scared me because I was reading on my phone when it vibrated all of a sudden and today I learnt typing '@[username]' will trigger Tapatalk to notify that user. Thanks button is on the left, underneath the poster's profile.

To set up positive pressure, the basic idea is to have more fans blowing into the case than out of it. Ideally, the intake fans are also filtered.

Exploring the opposite helps illustrate the reasoning, that if there are more fans sucking out (negative pressure), this means dust can be sucked in through any gaps in the case thus bypassing the filters you have installed.

As far as I know, positive pressure through filtered fans is the ideal air cooling solution, as it prevents this creeping dust from getting in and onto your components. Your description at the beginning "It has two intake fans, with quite wide mesh filters. " sounds like you may already have set it up but no description of any exhausts was provided, bearing in mind a blower GPU is also an exhaust.

12. Received thanks from:

Mick@SCAN (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by drone567 View Post
    Thanks, that is an interesting article about positive pressure. I'm not sure how to use the info exactly, yet. I'll re-read a few times. I have two fans with filters at front, and three outlet fans(side, top, back), so it's possible they are creating a negative internal pressure. I'll have to experiment!!! (as a moderator, can you please tell me how I THANK someone for their reply?) @AETAaAS Maybe one day. I still have to get my head around the idea of a PC in an aquarium full of mineral oil,but it's possibly the future!
    There is usually a thanks button below the persons name but it may only be visible after a certain amount of posts. It is an interesting article but I removed the link as I realised this is Corsairs section and didn't want to step on any toes.

If you run a Google search for positive air flow there are some interesting articles and youtube videos and I suspect it can be used in any Pc case with enough fan placements, I personally gave it a shot and really like the results.

Thanks
    • AETAaAS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Vengeance 3000
      • Storage:
      • Intel 660p 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI SC2
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP Envy 32
      • Internet:
      • 17mbps

Looks like even quoting someone who said "@(username)" triggers the notification. And so I return like the NerdSignal was lit in the sky.

I also noticed you did mention three exhaust fans in your latter post, and as you rightly point out, this may result in negative pressure. You could use a fan controller to dip the RPMs if you'd like to keep the fans for aesthetics or for flow. This may have the added benefit of noise reduction. Alternatively, reduce fans and Fractal provide noise blocking pieces for unused case vents don't they?

Will say however that positive pressure is no replacement for periodic maintenance of your gear.

Thanks

You need 15 posts before you get the thanks button .

Yes, you can use alcohol based sprays - usually iso-propyl alcohol (IPA) which you can buy as an aerosol or in a can from suppliers like Maplin. IPA is a fairly non-aggressive solvent so you can use it fairly safely. You can also use de-mineralised water to give the board a good wash, but you need to dry it thoroughly - or you can use IPA to displace the water afterwards.... but that is taking things to extremes.

If you vacuum the bulk of dust out, a thin layer left on the cut board is unlikely to do much harm. The only time it might cause a problem is if the computer is in very humid conditions, and powered off, so the dust could absorb moisture from the air - but that is extremely unlikely in a domestic (or office) situation and is only likely if the machine is in an unheated building.

And yes, a can of compressed air is usually referred to as an air duster.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. It does seem that the easiest solution, is to attain 'positive internal pressure', combined with regular vacuuming, and the occasioal brush down of circuit boards with IPA. AETAaAS> yes a fan contoller does sound perfect, and yes Fractal do supply extra vent blockers(I have an extra open vent on the bottom of the case!). And yes, again,things are made even more complicated when you take into account GPU blowers. Thankfully I've got a Corsair liquid CPU cooler!(one less fan).

Thanks

Even with internal positive pressure, you will still get dust drawn in, unless you filter that one inlet - and that fan will be working faster to get that air in to maintain a positive pressure, so the filter will clog up faster - it will still need some maintenance. On the other hand one large fan blowing air in is likely to be quieter than multiple extraction fans. However will need to ensure you have adequate air flow.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information