• XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Carbide 300R Cable Room

So I'm planning on adding some more storage to my PC sometime in the future however I have a bit of a dilemma that first came up when I was building this PC but wasn't too much trouble at the time.

The problem is that my PSU , XFX Core 550W (Pre-Haswell version) has some quite thick cable jacketing (image link below)
    http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/up...2/ACC_5189.jpg

Now the issue I ran into when building the PC is that I could only connect one HDD if I wanted to seal the side panel, If I connected more than one then the way the cables shaped as a result of the jacketing meant they bulged out of the side slightly, preventing me fitting the side panel. Back then I only needed multiple connected to transfer old data to the new machine so I just left the panel open, but naturally I can't do that when I'm expanding my storage for daily use.

I suspect I know the answer already but since we have a Corsair section here I thought I would check anyway. Is there anything that can be done within the case to fix this issue or is it just going to be a case of cutting off some of the cable jacketing towards the end of the cable so that the cables can lay flat rather than bundled as they are in the image?

Thanks

As a side note I've noticed that the top grill seems to rumble/rattle a bit sometimes when the fan mounted on it is under reasonably heavy load. However I may be going down from 4 to 3 fans next week in order to aim for positive air pressure rather than neutral to hopefully inhibit dust buildup further. If anyone has experienced it and found a workaround though I'd be interested in hearing it for future reference, currently I just stick a ps2 game case over the rear top fan slot as its empty and then seems to mostly solve it.
    Last edited by jag272; 14-06-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Re: Carbide 300R Cable Room

You may have to tighten up your cable management ever more to fit those peripheral cables to prevent them from bulging. You may have to use the top of the HDD cage to tuck in the cables that you don't need. Quite frankly, that PSU cable configuration is a little too much to begin with to fit in a reasonably compact case.. not to say its not possible, but it will probably require some really good cable management to make the cables fit nice and clean.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Ye, back when I built the PC I didnt actually look at the images of the cables themselves, the result is a massive bundle of cables in the thankfully unused bottom of the case. The only two solutions I can really see to the HDD issue is either cut off the jacketing up at the end of the cable or run multiple lines of cable, 1 for each harddrive. The latter would clear up some more mess from the bottom of the case but equally running a bunch of cables through the management holes is going to fill it up pretty quick.

Unfortunately on a budget you just gotta work with what you can fit in, thanks for the tips. I may actually see about getting some sort of tray to cover the PSU and box in all the cables, similar to what some other cases have, would help hide some of the clutter and hopefully prevent some of the dust buildup in the pile. Lets just say I'm happy its a bottom mount PSU case.

I'm going to be doing a minor upgrade at some point this week so I'll try and catch a photo to demonstrate if I can find a spare HDD laying around. It only slightly bulges out too far but its just enough to prevent closure, even if I have 2 HDDs at opposite ends of the tray rack.

Note to self: Modular is worth the premium. Also buy a bigger desk, if this is compact then I don't even want to see standard size.
    Last edited by jag272; 15-06-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jag272 View Post
    may actually see about getting some sort of tray to cover the PSU and box in all the cables, similar to what some other cases have, would help hide some of the clutter and hopefully prevent some of the dust buildup in the pile. Lets just say I'm happy its a bottom mount PSU case.

I'm going to be doing a minor upgrade at some point this week so I'll try and catch a photo to demonstrate if I can find a spare HDD laying around. It only slightly bulges out too far but its just enough to prevent closure, even if I have 2 HDDs at opposite ends of the tray rack.
    This is actually a good idea. I have been seeing a lot builds lately going this direction to hide their unused cables, and it certainly keeps the internals clean and free of clutter.

Yeah post some photos when ever you can, I am sure others will be interested how it is done.

Thread Information