Thread: e-atx silent case + psu recomendation for Dual quad xeon

Thanks

e-atx silent case + psu recomendation for Dual quad xeon

Hey,

Anyone have any idea for a dual quad core xeon case that is silent. I'm looking at the cosmos RC1000 (the 1010 is just the same if I understand but with a software fan control panel.) I've seen the P190 but I dont really like the dual PSU seems abit stupid. I only need 480Watts according to the PSU calculator since I'm not using a powerfull GFX card. (single 3650/3850 or something with HDMI).

I have also seen the silverstone cases but they are abit expensive. I'm looking for a steel case really at £100 maybe abit more less but definately less than £150.

For the Board i'm using a tyan server board so I think I need atx2.2 so the PSU options are limited, anyone know what the zalman HP series are like? Or should I go with corsair/OCZ?

Cheers
    Brendan

Thanks
    • rufeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai W240 PVA

Re: e-atx silent case + psu recomendation for Dual quad xeon

Is your budget of 100-150 for the case alone or incl. the psu as well? I've got the P190 and altho its going to be biased coming from me, I do love the case. One thing I will say is that the case is not silent. But thats not to say that its noisy, I have all the fans on the lowest setting and I can hardly hear it. but because of the large side fan, I can hear the fans on my cpu cooler tho... The dual psu is abit stupid, but does safeguard your future. one of the psu is modular so you can try and balance out the power load.

For the cost of the case and psus, its really a good price. The case is really well made and there's been alot of attention put into the case to make it as quiet as possible.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

With a bit of acoustic padding the akasa eclipse 62 would be an awesome silent case.

It's aliminium though, circa £90.

Thanks

The £150 is just for the case, the PSU i'll add afterwards.

I don't want to mod the case myself, I'd like to buy it stock plus the eclipse looks ugly lol.

The P190 is a nono, Dual psu means dual 80mm fans and berk. It looks like a good case but pricey and with a better PSU option would probably be my choice. But compared to the cosmos it costs too much. Out of interest why do you not call it a silent case? I mean they classify it as one? What do you think is the problem with it?

I should add I'll be using dual thermalright xeon coolers (the tower ones from scan don't know what the model is exactly off the top of my head), but they support 120mm fans. no watercooling.

Thanks
    • rufeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai W240 PVA

Well I'm not exactly sure if the noise is coming from the fans or the airflow from my fans. I've got a coolermater geminII cooler and 2 120mm fans on top of it. They do chuck out alot of air, but they're meant to be ultra quiet. One reason that could be plausible is the fact that with my 2 cpu fans there's also another 5 other fans, and the case is so big that it could be due to all the resonance inside it.

The side fan is 200mm so thats quite a big hole where sound can leak out, unlike the p182.

But the good thing is that there's a lot of detail been put in to make sure the rest of the case is as quiet as possible. I've got a WD raptor and can hardly hear that when its working, due to the rubber grommets that do an excellent job. The psus aren't actually audible.... There's 2 of them and they do have 80mm fans but I can hear the case fans more. The case also has silicon strips which stop case vibration and also psu vibration, so there's no rattling whatsoever

The fans supplied with the case probably aren't the most quiet you can get and does add a bit of noise, but if its too noisy you can always replace them.

Its not silent, but I wouldn't call it noisy. It doesn't distract me one bit, the only computer that I've heard that's quieter is when my friend had watercooling in his for a bit. Even then he had a few fans to get some airflow through the case, so it wasn't dead silent.

The psus did put me off for a bit, but when I thought about it it just meant that I wouldn't have to buy another psu for a long long time. You may not need the power it shifts out but for lets say 150 for the case you get 2 decent quality psus for just over 50 quid. Thats how I looked at it when I decided to buy it.

One word of warning the 200mm does protrude into the case.... My cpu cooler with the fans fitted in ok, but I bought an aftermarket cooler for my gfx card and that didn't fit because of the fan.

Thread Information