• stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Modifying a Xaser 3 - How do I paint brushed aluminum?

I'm slowly going to be upgrading my computer and i'm starting with the case..

First thing i would like to know is how do i go about painting a Thermaltake Xaser III case?.. would like to keep this case for when i upgrade later in the year, can't really see any benefits on changing to a different one, this has all the space i could need and good airflow..

I have the all silver, brushed aluminium edition... this one.. but without the window..

(not my pic, don't have a camera)

I've taken the red metal plates off at the front, aswell as the blue LED thermaltake logo - after 5 years they both got annoying.. Interesting thing was after taking off the bottom plate, the inside case temp went down 5 deg C, must have been blocking the fans even though theres holes for the air to get through...

I digress.. (that even a word?)

i'm also bored of the colour, don't particularly like brushed aluminium in silver anymore, plus it's too shiny when it's sunny..

so in step by step bullet points (don't have to but it will help) how would you paint the aluminium?

does the case need washing in anything to get rid of muck/grime?
    does it need sanding?
    what sort of paint? - emulsion/gloss/car paint/games workshop paint?
    after painting will it need polishing or a coat of varnish? I have a spray can of Games Workshop Purity Seal satin varnish, if it will help..

next on the list is replacing all the fans, but I am doing this when I upgrade the innards, so no rush.., out of the 7 x 8cm fans included, only 3 are working properly and they are loud.. I have already chosen the replacements for the front, rear and top and also the hardcano fan controller replacement - its just the side fan I can't decide on..

I can either....

Get 2 more 8cm ones (have to keep the plastic clip mounts inbuilt in case, they are on a blue plastic swing arm mount thing, so can't swap to 12cm)

OR

rip out the blue plastic swingy arm thingy and shove in this little beasty..
    Akasa 22cm fan - blue led's

anyone ever use this fan? how quiet is it? how much air does it chuck around? how does it connect - 3 pin mobo, or a molex?

OR

If the new ATI range are wide cards, then i'll have to do without the side-fans, and screw a 12cm onto the side of the hard drive cage..

which would be best? i'm having a hard time deciding so i'll leave this choice up to you..

that's all for now - if I think of any other questions i'll add them to this post, so i don't lose track of multiple threads....
    Last edited by stevie lee; 03-06-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: altered title to lure more people into reading it..

Thanks
    • Cistron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E2160@3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB PC6400 OCZ 4-4-4-15
      • Storage:
      • WD 320GB AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor HD3870 SCS3
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Pro82+ 385W
      • Case:
      • Sharkoon Rebel9, two low rpm case fans
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb
      • Internet:
      • cable

Re: Modifying a Xaser 3

I'd be careful with very big fans. They don't create a lot of pressure, but will suffice to carries warm air out of the case. Getting them quiet might be a problem as well, due to high starting voltages.

Thread Information