Thread: PSU Mod

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks

Lightbulb PSU Mod

Hi Guys

I had an idea for a mod todo with my power supply and I was wondering if I could get some feedback about it cuz I ain't very experienced with PSU Mods.

It seems in theory pretty simple. I have a pretty noisy PSU and I saw the so called "Quiet" PSU's, which cost like £70, which I don't have.
    I was going to replace the PSU fan with a 3 pin connector which can shift a fair bit of air but not tons like the Vantec Tornado (any recomendations?) I would then use my CoolerMaster Musketeer to measure the temp of the PSU and adjust PSU fan speed accordingly

I was just wondering if anyone could point out anything seriously hazardous about this, or something im over looking. I know modding a PSU is kinda sketchy but if I do it right it should go fine, shouldn't it?

Thanks for any feedback

[LR]R1zeeK

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    I was gonna post something but chaned my mind coz I don't wanna give false info on this subject (especially when it concerns power supply!).

I know I'd leave it for an expert or spend £70 to avoid near certain death...

Thanks
    I've done it before. PSU's aren't THAT dangerous when they're off, unplugged and discharged.

There's only really two capacitors to look out for - each storing 110V (if you're in the UK.) If you know a little about electronics and discharging capacitors you're OK in that respect - also it's a good idea not to randomly poke things - show the thing some respect.

However, changing the fan can be iffy - you must make sure airflow is enough for the PSU. Also bear in mind that, depending on the system, warm air will be entering the PSU from the case too.

The trick is testing - if you're going to do it, power the PSU up without anything plugged into it and leave it an hour - see if it gets at all warm. If it gets prety hot when unloaded then clearly things aren't good! Also by testing it you don't blow it up along with all your other components.

It's doable, but you need to know what to do, and take quite a few factors into consideration.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Dodgy Water Cooling
    Thanks
    I wouldn't touch it to be honest as I've made a PSU go bang, and when they go bang, they really go BANG. Blue smoke and the works, plus a painful arm (yes I'm an idiot).

One thing though, the Muskateer costs £35 I think, that's half a decent PSU.. I dunno just seems a wasted to use it for PSU monitoring...

Steve

ps the muskateer does looks sexy though!
    Winning isn't everything, but losing is nothing...

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Thanks kez, I might give that a try.

I'm not that clued up on electronics, I mean I know about some stuff, mainly mobos etc but not much about PSU's
    I heard that you can drain the capacitors by unplugging the psu from wall socket and pressing the power button a few times, is that true?

[LR]R1zeeK

Thanks
    I'd say that's probably the best way. Though personally I'd leave the power cable plugged in but turned off at the wall - leaving you an earth. That way you can short pins to the case of the PSU - immediately dicharging and difference down the earth. Oh yeah and shorting the two pins of the cap together should discharge it (hoping he remembers his elecronics lessons - he better have done - that's what he's been doing all this time - yes, he thinks he's right - though is confused about talking in the third person.)

Moving back on track: Another tip - don't wear an earthing strap - if there is any juice anywhere, YOU don't want to be the easiest route to the earth, lol.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Ok, i'll keep that in mind, thanks man.
    Do you have any recommendations for a fan to use, cuz I know it needs to be fairly high CFM but I don't want too much because my Musketeer can only control between 6 and 10 volts which won't silence a Vantec Tornado, I know that for sure.

Thanks
    You could always fit a new case on the psu, with an additional fan mount like these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=55282

that way you could have two slower fans, rather than one faster one.

Thanks
    What i would suggest is getting the clear psu cover with the extra blowhole and adding two vantec stealth fans. Or you could just cut the cover which is already on the psu and mount the second fan on there. On the q-tec psu i have all i had to was open it up and just plug the new 3 pin led fans in. Just show the psu some respect and you will be fine.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Yeah thanks man. I've already got a Vantec stealth and I think I'll cut a blowhole in the rear of the PSU (theres a square grill there at the moment) This should allow for decent airflow. Cheers guys

Thanks
    Late to the party, but something I believe needs adding: never ever power up a PSU without any power-drawing devices connected to it. If you're unlucky, it'll blow the PSU if you do so. You can buy a PSU tester if you don't want to risk hardware on a possibly screwy PSU - Antec is one brand that makes them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eldren
    Late to the party, but something I believe needs adding: never ever power up a PSU without any power-drawing devices connected to it. If you're unlucky, it'll blow the PSU if you do so. You can buy a PSU tester if you don't want to risk hardware on a possibly screwy PSU - Antec is one brand that makes them.
    I'm not sure about that. Surely if you're "unlucky" enough for it to blow, then it was a crap PSU anyway?
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();

Thanks
    Ive never had a psu blow on me, from generic psus to antecs. So i can't really comment on this problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kez
    I'm not sure about that. Surely if you're "unlucky" enough for it to blow, then it was a crap PSU anyway?
    Read that it is possible, in a comparison of 12 or so high-end PSUs. Have been trying to find the site, but no luck. :/
    Last edited by eldren; 15-02-2004 at 07:45 PM.

Thread Information