Thread: Using Old Server Casing For New Rig?

Registered+
    Thanks

Using Old Server Casing For New Rig?

Hello,
    This is my first post, so hopefully you guys would be kind enough to help me out.

I am on the process of building my system, and recently came up with an old Dell server (PowerEdge 2300) casing. It's build date is around 1999 and is certainly not new! But it's heavy and looks good; and hopefully will have good sound insulation. Now, is it possible to use this server casing for my new system, or is the dell's layout completely different and not possible for some minor tweaks?

I need to pay 30 quid for the casing, which actually is a full working system with all other old components(which I don't have any interest of). Is it worth it, or should I go for something new? My preference is something quite (it will be running in a student accom - room shared with another fellow mate) and spacious (Q6600 and 8800GTS.... so need good ventilation)

So, what should I do? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Using Old Server Casing For New Rig?

I think you're out of luck - I had a quick look on Dell's support pages, and as far as I can tell it's a proprietary design, where the I/O plate and PCI slots are "reversed" in comparison to a standard ATX layout. I doubt if it would have good enough overall airflow anyway to cope with a Q6600 and an 8800GTS, at least if you want to keep fan noise at relatively sane levels.

If quietness matters to you, I'd check out the Antec Solo or P182, together with a decent PSU from the Corsair or Seasonic ranges - not exactly an economy option, but if you'll have to live at close quarters with the thing for some considerable time, it'll be money well spent.

Thread Information