Thread: Silverstone TJ05 :- Temperature detector sounding alarm and powering off frequently

Registered+
    Thanks

Silverstone TJ05 :- Temperature detector sounding alarm and powering off frequently

Hi all,

Recently I bought a Gainward 9800GT Bliss 1024MB Golden Sample card, which I installed in my system. Since installing this, my Silverstone case often rings like an alarm sound for about 2 minutes before powering down. When the system powers down by itself, I cannot reboot my PC for a little while.

The Silverstone case that I have is a TJ05 with temperature monitoring and a little LCD in the front. The problem is that I do not know how to tie the sensors down to the place where they are supposed to go (I have not tried using sellotape, as I believe that this would cause the sellotape to melt with the high temperatures of the PC’s internal parts). Also as soon as I place back the case upright or close the side panel that temperature sensors fall out of their positions. This is another reason why I would like to have some sort of tie that could be used to affix the sensors in their correct position.

Currently:
    - The CPU sensor is positioned in the Intel processor’s cooling blades that came with the Retail version of the processor.
    - The "Sys" sensor is placed in the heat pipe dispersal of the Graphic card (between the heat pipe and the graphic card's cooling fan).
    - The "HDD" sensor is just resting on top of one of the two HDD drives that I have.

Because I was getting too much of these power down, I took out the temperature sensor marked as "sys" away from the graphics card, and left aside so that it does not touch any warm part of the computer. This has resulted in the disappearance of the alarm sound from the case, until I started replaying an older game, namely Oblivion (with all the settings maxed out as the new graphics card should be able to handle this, and it does do just that too).

Note that my Graphics card is set to the factory settings, and I have not tweaked it in any way or form.

Something else I have tried doing is to use the "Expert tool" that is installed by the Gainward NVidia driver. Setting the fan control of the graphic card's to the maximum fixed speed (hence on 100%). Also I have set the performance option to "safe mode Setting" as soon as the case alarm starts ringing, but this does very little to stop the case alarm from ringing. The only way I can stop the case from shutting down while playing the game while the case alarm is ringing is to bring up the in-game menu, as less graphics are required, and the alarms stops.

I do not know what to do anymore. Perhaps I should invest into buying more internal fan, however I do not know which ones I need to get to fit within the standard case's optional fan compartment. The Silverstone's case user guide gives no information whatsoever about what fans I should get for the optional fan positions, nor the size of the fans I should get. I don't even know if the fans need to be of the fixed speed variety or not. All I managed to find out from the Silverstone web site is that only fans with 3 power connector should be used. However I do want to have a quiet system, or as quiet as I possibly can with additional fans.

Would anyone have a suggestions or solutions to my problems?

Thanks
    • Aden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45 HP
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ stock
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500gb 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GTS @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • be-quiet 550watt
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • XP Media Center & Seven x64 7232
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" acer @ 1920 x 1200 & 15" 1024 x 768
      • Internet:
      • Supanet supposed 8mb - 1.3mb

Re: Silverstone TJ05 :- Temperature detector sounding alarm and powering off frequent

Does the LCD Offer you any temperatures for these areas? or have you checked the temperatures for your CPU, GPU etc while gaming. It might be that the detector is just set to get scared over a low (which was the problem on my Silverstone Fan Control - the bay one), though i'm not too sure if you can adjust the TJ05's settings for this.

It might be a heat issue in your PC, so check the temps, but theres a chance that the device is getting scared over a temperature which might not be good for a CPU (eg 60 degrees C), but we happily accept on a GPU.

EDIT - Judging by what I looked up, the TJ07's built in fan controller, temp sensors etc, you can set the temperatures for each sensor for the device to alarm you at. If its anything lke my silverstone bay device, which it probably is, it'll involve a combination of holding mod for 3 seconds and then press the set button multiple times etc.. though you'll have to check the manual.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Silverstone TJ05 :- Temperature detector sounding alarm and powering off frequent

Yes the LCD shows the temperatures for these areas, but I do not recall what they were set to when the alarm sounded last.

I believe that I have read that it is possible to change the temperature setting of the case as you say. The Silverstone FAQ on their website does mention something in those lines (especially within the downloadable pdf file). If I were to change these I would not know what to set these to, as I would not be able to know what are the best good / max values.

I would not want the system to be set to values that would be just before “frying” either.

I will check the temperature readings the next time this problem recurs, (which may be tomorrow if I get a chance) but I believe that the temperatures were well below the 50 degrees centigrade for especially for the CPU.

Is it possible that the alarm was coming from the graphics card instead?

Also for the CPU, is there another way of checking its temperature with some sort of system tool under Windows XP?

Thanks
    • Aden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45 HP
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ stock
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500gb 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GTS @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • be-quiet 550watt
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I think its zCPU which people use to check temps in windows.

Its possible that the alarm was coming from graphics card reading.. most likely, though you can't check until your change temperature settings on the controller.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have tried the test again playing oblivion for 1 hour.

The case alarm sounded when the following temperatures were reached:
    - HDD 27 degree Centigrade (Case indicating Low)
    - CPU 35 degree Centigrade (Case indicating High)
    - Sys 26 degree Centigrade (Case indicating Low)

I then terminated the game and the CPU temperature started dropping, however the case LCD was still indicating that the CPU at 33 Degrees Centigrade was high (without the alam sounding).

The version of CPUz that I have does not indicate the CPU temperature.

This problem did not occur with prior to changing my old 6800 graphic card and old PSU.

What should I do next?

Thanks
    • Aden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45 HP
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ stock
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500gb 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GTS @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • be-quiet 550watt
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Ok, I just think that your LCD temperature reader is set to alarm you at a low temperature, rip out the manual (or if you cant find it, get me to scan in the manual of mine) and set the alarm temperatures to something like the following:

HDD - 40oC (degrees Centigrade)
    CPU - 50oC
    Sys - 65oC (put the sensor near your GPU).

Also which GPU are you using?

If the temperatures go over the above, then I suggest improving your cooling. If not, then clearly the settings where just too low.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have now set the temperatures of the case as you specified.

The graphic card that I use in this system is the following one:
    - Gainward 9800GT Bliss 1024MB Golden Sample

I will give another trial run at using oblivion tomorrow, and will let you know of the outcome.
    Thank you for your advice so far.

Thanks
    • Aden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45 HP
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ stock
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500gb 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GTS @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • be-quiet 550watt
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I also recommend following your GPU's temperatures using the nVidia software (not sure on its name), while you are gaming. This way you can work out what was trully causing all these hiccups.

Hope you get it sorted

Registered+
    Thanks

I have done a thorough test and can confirm that your recommendations have done the trick!

Basically the CPU temperature has been fluctuating between 33°C and 35°C. I have not noticed this going any higher. The case still shows ‘Hi’ for the 35°C, but at least it does not ring the alarm any more.

As for the Graphic card, I use the software that came with the graphics card itself. This is called “Expert Tool”.

Thank you very much for your help, and for leading me on the right track.

Registered+
    Thanks

It appears that the case Alarm sound are now recurring now that I have two parts in my system:.
    The contents that have changed are:

- Graphics card downgrade from a Gainward Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB down to an EVGA 8800GTS 1024MB.
    - A PSU upgrade from Corsair HX520W to HX1000W, because this would not fit in my new case in the newer system.

What I don’t understand is that when I run a virus scan with Norton internet security 2008, or when I try running Oblivions with this, graphics card, the alarm of the case sounds again.
    The fans in the system are still OK, I don’t know if it is because of the graphic card or something else.

The temperatures are not even high when the alarm sounds.

Could it be the graphics card that is causing the problem? I believe that the graphics card is lifetime guaranteed as it is an Evga card that mentioned something in those lines when I got it initially less than a year ago (i.e. September 2008).

Should I contact Silverstone, or change my computer case altogether?

Is it possible to disconnect the temperature sensors from the case altogether, as the system is not over clocked at all? The warranty of the case must be over as the case was bought in September 2007.

Can anyone advise on this?

Thread Information