Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Hello Kitty

Registered+
    Thanks

Project: Hello Kitty

You guys knew it was just a matter of time before someone would post a HK case mod project I actually started it in August, but as life happens, it's taking some time to get it completed. Last weekend I got to the stage with end in sight. My 8-year-old daughter can't wait till it's done! Sooo, hopefully the info that I'll share will help someone who's considering a case mod project or is working on one. It were forums like this one that enabled me to go ahead with such a project in the first place. I hope that I can return the favor.

2. Received thanks from:

Pob255 (27-10-2009),Ulti (31-10-2009),Workaholic (08-11-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Project: Hello Kitty

I surfed all over the Net but did not find any examples of Hello Kitty mod, at least not as extensive as I was planning on making it. So, with a handful of inspirational images I decided to do it.

1. Cost:
    You can go with a cheap case and some spray paint from the local hardware store. Probably not a bad idea for either a first-timer or a very budget-conscientious person. Or, you can splurge and go all the way! I decided to splurge a bit Base layer coat (the PINK paint), base coat ( pearl gold sparkle), another base coat (white paint), high velocity clear coat (the finish coat), hardener, plastic adhesion promoter (makes the paint stick to plastics), some mixing cups, primer, and tack cloth = 180 bucks! I got it all at a automotive paint shop. I think the finish is gonna be worth it! I did go for a cheaper computer case though. Didn't want to risk screwing up an expensive one. Next time I'll go for a sturdier case. It will save me a lot of headache.

1.1 Additional materials - sandpaper (180/220, 400 - sheets or pads for use with a sander), steel wool (00 and 000), scotch brite abrasive pads. Also, for this design I obtained three packs of Super Sculpey at 14 bucks each, small can of automotive Bondo, green masking tape (preferably one for usage with automotive paint work), masking paper, paint thinner or cleaner, sheet of fine copper mesh (from Arts and Crafts store), 30-gauge copper wire: three spools - one black, one while, one red, and assortment of heatshrink tubing (for your wiring), 1/2in strips of translucent white or clear piece of plastic (for LED diffusion).

1.2. Additional parts:
    Seventeen pink LEDs - 5mm, two white LEDs - 10mm, two amber LEDs - 5mm, two green LEDs - 10mm, Nine 5mm LED holders, two spare male power connectors (matching computer's power supply), thirteen 68 Ohm resistors, clear 120mm PC case fan, custom-built Hello Kitty grill (for the 120mm fan) will be fabricated from acrylic.

2. Equipment:
    Step drill bit, countersink bit, drill bits for usage with sheet metal, orbital sander, drill press or hand drill, air compressor with a water/oil filer, a good quality paint gun (I happened to already have a gravity feed spray gun), paint strainers and filters, cookie sheet (for baking of Super Sculpey designs), plastic spreaders (for Bondo), Dremel rotary kit (with flex shaft) or equivalent, small metal files with flat and round surfaces, hot glue gun, heat gun or a mini torch, soldering iron, a pack of latex gloves, safety goggles/glasses, and a filter mask.
    Some of this equipment does not have to be very expensive or top notch, unless you plan on doing many more projects or go pro. Mine came mostly from local home improvement stores and seemed adequate enough to do the job.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Ooo thanks for reminding me to check up on your blog to see how you're doing with this.

The gold pearl on pink looks great
    I know it's always hard to get a true feel for the final effect but from thoes pics the pearl might be too strong.
    Well I prefur it to be a more subtle effect, your daughter might not and she's your real critque here.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah, after getting the gold pearl re-mixed I thought it would be too much too. Interestingly, it barely shows indoors. It really pops out outside with direct sunlight. As you suspected, my daughter said she would not mind if it was more gold. I guess it's a win-win situation ) Btw, I searched through the FAQs here, but did not notice what the criteria is for being able to attach images to one's postings. Does it have to do with how many contributions I make to others' posts, or is this something that gets enabled at admins discretion? Thanks!

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Epyon777 View Post
    Yeah, after getting the gold pearl re-mixed I thought it would be too much too. Interestingly, it barely shows indoors. It really pops out outside with direct sunlight. As you suspected, my daughter said she would not mind if it was more gold. I guess it's a win-win situation ) Btw, I searched through the FAQs here, but did not notice what the criteria is for being able to attach images to one's postings. Does it have to do with how many contributions I make to others' posts, or is this something that gets enabled at admins discretion? Thanks!
    host them externally and wrap them in [img] tags i.e. [img]imgurl.jpg[/img]
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    host them externally and wrap them in [img] tags i.e. [img]imgurl.jpg[/img]
    Thank You TakTak. I've tried it before, but got nothing on the page. Let's see if this one shows up:

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

which is:

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lr-zukkPgwc/SgJYYvOWQRI/AAAAAAAAC1k/kTXMEh47TUk/s1600/CRW_1441.jpg[/img]

try without spaces, it should work fine
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Registered+
    Thanks

which is:

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lr-zukkPgwc/SgJYYvOWQRI/AAAAAAAAC1k/kTXMEh47TUk/s1600/CRW_1441.jpg[/img]

try without spaces, it should work fine [/QUOTE]

Yikes! I'll have to resize these LOL Thanks again TakTak.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

I think it's a post count of 25 posts

personaly I try to keep images no larger than 800x600
    that's why I used so many thumbnails for project spork, well that and figuring out photobucket's thumbnail system.

Registered+
    Thanks

OK, soooo here are some of the tools and components used:

Step drill bit for cutting in sheet metal and plastic

5mm LEDs

5mm LED holders

10mm LEDs

Heat-shrink tubing for wire insulation
    (Note for future - pick the right colors for the project!)

Small torch used on heat-shrink tubing

Extra set of "hands" was really helpful, especially when soldering.

For creating shapes of Hello Kitty and her friends

Small files for getting into tight spaces during fabrication.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    I think it's a post count of 25 posts

personaly I try to keep images no larger than 800x600
    that's why I used so many thumbnails for project spork, well that and figuring out photobucket's thumbnail system.
    Thanks! Well, seems that as long as I host these externally, it's working now. I'm going to keep the image size at about 480x320.

Registered+
    Thanks

Starting point:

Raidmax ATX-228S mini tower case

Honestly, I wish I had picked something made out of thicker material. Working with such thin sheeting proved to be a challenge. I had to change my design plans for attachment of the Hello Kitty on the side panel...will explain later.

First thing needing attention was to cover the existing vent holes. This will provide an adequate area for the Head. Venting will be provided at another location.

Coat of Bondo and some sanding...

Another application and more sanding. When it starts to look "smooth" apply a coat of primer. It will show all existing imperfections otherwise you may not be able to see. I think it took about 5 cycles between Bondo and primer before I was satisfied with the results.

Now we're getting closer to a smooth finish. Notice that during the sanding a most of the existing paint came off. That's perfectly OK. Just use self-etching primer first. Then use sandable primer on top of that one to cover any remaining scratches. The imperfections in the center are of no concern as these will be covered by the Head. It was a result of something I tried and it did not work as expected

Ensure that you have proper support underneath the rails before you start working on the panels. This becomes even more critical when these are made of thinner material. You do not want to warp these, trust me.

Ok, this looks rather good Now the surface is ready for attaching of the Head. (The next steps I ended up altering completely due to the difficulties in working with thin panels)

Registered+
    Thanks

Making of the characters Using Super Sculpey, I formed the Head of the Kitty, a whole body for the other panel, and some additional characters for the front.

The Head! I used a template to cut out a shape which then I rolled flat on an upside down cookie sheet. I also used this sheet to bake the characters as per Super Sculpey instructions.
    This design was changed later due to some complications. You will see it in another posting.

Badtz-Maru taking shape....

Ready for baking and sanding...

Badtz-Maru, Chococat, and Keroppi primed and ready for painting

Another Hello Kitty for the opposite panel

Some detail that will later help in painting

Badtz-Maru getting fitted with a ON button and LEDs. I thought it would be appropriate to have such a mischievous character controlling the power to the PC

View from the back

This character will sit directly over the power switch, however, that created a problem - the original switch was now too deep to comfortably reach it. I decided to fabricate a button/tummy that now sit at the proper level. Just press his tummy to power up

Registered+
    Thanks

Chococat and Badtz-Maru

The hollowed eye sockets are for LEDs. Batz-Maru will be placed over the ON button. His white tummy will actually be the power button. I had to fabricate it since the actual button sits too deep inside the original casing. The eyes will become the power lights. Chococat is going to be connected to the hard drive LED plug on the motherboard. His eyes will light up amber (or green, haven't decided yet) when the drive is active. I also have fabricated Keroppi, the frog. His eyes will light up green when the DVD is in use.

Keroppi almost completed. Just needs a clear-coat and LEDs.

Registered+
    Thanks

Bezel Modifications

I used some simple designs that I found on the web. I then used a tracing paper to transfer outlines of the shapes onto the plastic bezel.

Traced outline of the flowers and hearts.

Since I did not have any air cooling, I turned the RPMs down in order to avoid getting the plastic melted around the burr.

Going shallow passes - one at a time...

Keeping the lines as close as possible to the original.

Carefully progressing while avoiding overheating the plastic. You can ruin your entire design if a blob of melted plastic suddenly sticks to the burr and wipes a chunk out of the bezel.

Flower design

Rough cut-out. All of these were later smoothed out with a hand file.

Closeup from the back. I had to take out some of the material, otherwise, the copper mesh would not follow the contours of a thicker material.

Bezel Modifications - Part 2

This is what the final design looks like. The copper mesh got munched a bit, but that's OK as all of these will come out for painting.

Front view - with and without the mesh.

Registered+
    Thanks

Lights

This is where the extra pair of "hands" came in handy In this step, a resistor is being soldered to the LED in order to limit the voltage flow. Most common LEDs work with a max of 3V. The supplied 5V from the PC is way to much. Within few seconds the LED would smoke and melt. Done that too.

Attaching wires...

Heat-shrinking all bare wires in order to avoid short circuit once installed in the metal case. Not sure why I did not have the revelation at that time, but green heat-shrink just does not go with the Hello Kitty theme If I have time, I may redo these...

Final assembly: spaced according to the holes in the case. I used solid core wire - that's why the whole thing stands vertically like this. Now, if it only was red/pink and white, with no black or green...

Thread Information