25. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

16 64.00%
  • no

9 36.00%

Thread: Case mods

Thanks

Case mods

I bought one of those cheap premodded cases about 3/4 of year ago and it really annoys me now. So Im going to get another case.

How many other people now think case windows, overused leds (esp bright ones!), ccfl's, anything bright green, yellow or red, visible fan controlers, etc.. makes cases look cheap and tacky? (question for poll above)

So deciding what case to get - I have watercooling and I would like it all to fit in. problem - my heatercores are about 3-5cm too wide to fit in my case.
    It must be made of a nice metal, pref one that doesnt oxidise, though Alu and steel are the only ones used in cases a metal that can be soldered to would also be nice but not essential...

need four dvd drive bays, one dvd bay and my hdd's will go in the rest soon as they will be watercooled and surrounded by foam to silence them.
    Wont need any floppy sized bays.

needs to be BIG to fit my heatercores, pump res etc... fan mounts wont matter as my heatercore fan isnt a standard size (172mm).

Or I could make it myself from sheets of alu,, but I dont think I could be arsed to sand it down to a nice finnish after... Ill rty and find someone able to do this. Also I dont have the tools to do it to the quality I would want (= perfect).

Ideas?

Thanks
    Buy a server case?

Thanks
    • GAteKeeper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • ~44TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-65
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U3415W & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • 45Mb vDSL
    I had the same woes mate!

I went down the route of build your own though - why would you sand aluminium sheet down though????

I built a 2 5-1/4" 10 internal 3-1/2" case with built in watercooling.

There isnt a case available that will satisfy your every need, it will have to be a compromise - I went for looks and space over ease of use (my case is a right royal pain in the ar$e to use).

GAteKeeper

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    What about the Chieftec Scorpio Full Tower Cases, these are 205mm wide so you could easily mount your heatercore in the roof of the case, like i did. It's got 6 Drive bays and removable 3.5 drive cages (quick release aswell)
    You can find em here at Over-clock.co.uk
    I got the smaller model than one of these cases and they are really nicley built. The removable drive cages have little trays to sit in which are bolted in behind the front panel but a bit of dremeling gets rid of them leaving you with a nice big open space at the front
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by r1zeek; 06-05-2004 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    the Scorpio Full Tower would probably be perfect if it was made of ALU and didnt have the stupid plastic on the front (it does look like plastic in that pic anyway). Have you got any pics of yours to help me chose.. my w/c will take more space than most...
    The price is about right though... what psu is included, as I have a decent psu so that would be sold..

Thanks
    Think ill get teh lianli pc60/61/70/71 just need to make up my mind. Anyone got one of these?

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    I think a Scorpio would fit your needs. These are seriously wide cases, so a 172mm rad would fit in their easy, with room to spare aswell so no probs. The plastic bezel on the front is a bit rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish, but its good for hiding your drives, and easier way
    It's a matter of personal taste really though, to each their own. Not sure what PSU comes with the Scorpio, not sure if one even comes with it though

Thanks
    How about a CoolerMaster 710, it's based on a cheiftec chassis but with a CoolerMaster front.
    Might be a bit of a squeeze & you would have to hunt one down (as they are no longer made)......

Thanks
    Just ordered myself a pc-70 from aria (£125 inc)
    Current coolermasters look *sh*te* though, the old ones I expect are very hard to find, and I prefer the look of the lian li's anyway...

Thread Information