Thread: NZXT Phantom mod suggestions

Registered+
    Thanks

NZXT Phantom mod suggestions

Hi, I'm looking at buying the NZXT Phantom case (in white) and I like everything about it, but the one thing that it lacks is a window in the side panel

This is a real shame, as since it is a full size case most people are likely to put the best and most expensive components inside it, with no way to show them off. This gave me the idea to mod the side panel to create room to insert a window.

From looking at the case I think the best way to do this would be cut out the grill for the 200mm fan but as I have never done anything like this to a case before I don't know where to go from there. What ideas do you guys have? What is the standard method for putting a window in the side of a case?

Cheers.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Re: NZXT Phantom mod suggestions

There's no real standard methord, other than cut a hole in it and fix a bit of purspex (acrylic) over the hole.

Those black sections on the side panel are actually mesh and you will be able to see in with some lighting inside the case.

Let me see if I can find some photos of the other side of the panel as I think it could be very easy to replace the mesh with a bit of acrylic.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Let me see if I can find some photos of the other side of the panel as I think it could be very easy to replace the mesh with a bit of acrylic.
    I found this image of the inside of the side panel on NZXT's website:

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Rats, I thought you could get away without cutting but looks like some cutting will be involved.

To remove the mesh all you need to do is bend those tabs over and the mesh should then come off.

The filter is held on with screws so that comes off no problem.

Next you'll have to cut out the hole for the window, ether a jigsaw or rotary tool is best for this.

After you've cut the hole you'll want to file the edges to smooth it off and remove and burs, then finish the hole off with some U-channel (helps hide wonky cuts and make it look neater)

Cut a bit of acrylic to fit, needs to be slightly larger than the hole and attach.

You can attach it with "tape of the gods" or simple nut and bolt (you'll need to drill holes for them)

That's it.

Bill Owen did a great video guide for making a case window
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZoE-zj0-k

A couple of note on the stuff he uses:
    Tape of the gods, this is great stuff, it's not like a normal double sided sticky tape, it's about 1mm thick, more like a roll of adhesive silicon. really good and easy to get in the US however it's not sold in the UK so you have to get it imported.

U-channel, great stuff but again to easy to get hold of in the UK (but easier than the tape) especially the thin stuff you want for pc modding.

Blue painters tape, personally I've never used it, I use just normal masking tape, get the wide stuff and don't get the low quality very cheap stuff, it tends to lift off without you even touching it.

Rotary tool vs jigsaw, personally I don't get on too well with a jigsaw so I do all my cutting with a rotary tool, takes a bit longer but it works. remember to get decent cutting disc's the large fibre reinforced disc's like Bill uses in that video are the ones you want, they make a big difference.
    That said if you're happy to use a jigsaw then that's fine, again make sure you've got the right type of blade, and you can get away without making a starting hole as there's already a nice big hole it the panel you can cut out from.

EDIT: slight delay on my post so you beat me to the image

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Pob! That is exactly the information I was looking for from someone who knew what they're on about

Just to extend on the idea...

Those black sections on the side panel are actually mesh and you will be able to see in with some lighting inside the case.
    It is true that you can see through the mesh quite easily (shown in the image below, more so with inside case lighting) so what would you think to:

+ Cut the hole like you said, but then put the mesh back in instead of acrylic?

Obviously, the hole would have to be very precise in order to still support the mesh without leaving too much of a visible tab.

I like this idea as it still leaves the beauty of the design in place, but lets you see inside too (to a degree, I know) but wondered whether this was realistic and to give me options to compare.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Easy, if you use the edges of the big fan hole as a guide, the closet point of the hole to the mesh gives you a good lip size so cut out the panel hole to that.

Quick image of what I mean (the red lines are the cut lines)

Alternatively use the depressed area that the mesh sits in as a guide, cut that out (that gives you the window shape) and use smoked or tinted acrylic for the window (that will leave you a near similar look)

EG of smoked acrylic

Registered+
    Thanks

Great stuff!

Another question I have is if I do use my method, leaving the mesh in place, would i have any problems with dust?

I know there will be no fan actively pulling in air through the hole, but as there will essentially be a hole with no dust filter I wanted to make sure this is a negligible issue. All the fans and drive bays on the front have dust filters, but I know of popular cases (namely the HAF 932) which came with none (although the HAF X which came after the HAF 932 comes with several), so I'm not sure how much of a deal this is.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

I theory yes, no, maybe.

There's many factors involved here, air flow, pressure and environment.
    that fact that the stock filter doesn't cover the whole hole will mean you've going to be getting some dust sucked in, however in my experience the relatively fine mesh as used will catch some dust, esp fluff but it'll do little to stop fine particles getting in.
    Opening up the side will let more stuff in of course but at the same time you can make a filter for it, but that will greatly reduce being able to look in.

Registered+
    Thanks

It sounds like it might not be too much of a problem then, which is good. Plus, the way I see it (but feel free to tell me I'm wrong since you will know) is that what little dust does manage to get inside the case, at least some of it will be picked up by the moving airflow from the other fans and extracted out the back exhaust fans (when it is on at least) which will minimise the issue.

Also, I like the idea of leaving the mesh on as it isn't too destructive in case I make a mistake and it leaves me the option to continue it to add a window as you suggested in the future if I feel more confident in the procedure and the new look it will give.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

The other thing I'd suggest it practise pick up a cheap case or better ask around friends & family see if any one has got an old unwanted pc kicking about, that way you can butcher something without messing up you're brand new shiney case
    Also keep an eye out for cases being chucked away and ask around at work.

Registered+
    Thanks

Well I actually have a case (perhaps another) that I've been refusing to throw away for a long time now - I must have saw this coming

I'll do some experimenting as soon as I get chance

Thread Information