Thread: Modifying a PSU

Thanks

Modifying a PSU

I have a cheapo (unbranded) 300W PSU in my home server at the moment... and I think I need a higher rated one, it's powering...

1 x Mainboard with 2 x PIII CPU's
    3 x HDD Drives
    2 x DVD Drives
    1 x 12" CCFL Tube
    3 x 4" CCFL Tubes
    1 x Fan Controller
    2 x 120 mm Fans
    1 x 92 mm Fan
    1 x Case Front Temp display
    7 x LED's

First question is what rating PSU do you think ? I was thinking maybe a 450W/500W one...

Right, onto the modifying, the main problem I have with the PSU is that i'm running is that i'm using tons of the molex splitters which is a pain in the goat for tidiness. So i'm thinking to buy a cheap PSU (seen a 500W Trust one for £30 with single 120mm fan) and re-wiring the power cables to put the routing and connectors where I want them.

What sort of cable do I need to buy, and also for the ATX power cable isn't one of the wires a different gauge to the rest ?

TIA

PS - I did think about getting a better brand PSU - maybe a Tagan or Antec or something, but I really wouldn't be comfortable with re-wiring one i'd paid over £50 for
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    Is it unstable? Because if its stable there isnt much point in upgrading

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    Is it unstable? Because if its stable there isnt much point in upgrading
    No, it's stable as it is, but the PSU is the weak link in the noise department, tried a new Vantec Stealth 80mm fan in it, but it's still the only thing making a noise really. That's why I was thinking to get one with a 120mm fan - I like them that size Only reason I have a 92mm fan is if I use a 120mm it doesn't cover both of the Flower heatsinks
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    Why not do something similar to the Antec modular supplies - place molex connectors on very short lengths, and then plug extension cables into these?

I've already removed the ATX Aux and "Fan only" connectors from my true blue, and was thinking of making it modular using 4 pin panel mount connectors similar to the ones Zapwizard from bit-tech uses.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Why not do something similar to the Antec modular supplies - place molex connectors on very short lengths, and then plug extension cables into these?

I've already removed the ATX Aux and "Fan only" connectors from my true blue, and was thinking of making it modular using 4 pin panel mount connectors similar to the ones Zapwizard from bit-tech uses.
    I did think about something similar, but I think the neatest solution will be a custom cable run from the PSU, but what rating cable do I need for this ?

Something like this maybe ?
    http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...ct%5Fid=254907
    Or something designed for mains like this ?
    http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...ct%5Fid=254908

Thanks
    In terms of AWG, normal PSU wires are AWG18 - 1.02mm diameter.

Though I bought 3 reels from maplins about 3 years ago and they're a bit thicker - You can't go to wrong going larger - well unless it won't fit in the molex connector anymore!

You may be better off simply getting some right angle connectors like these:
    http://www.fleetwoodcomputers.co.uk/...roducts_id=729

individually here
    http://www.fleetwoodcomputers.co.uk/...114_35_115_105

Or at many other online shops - you can simply place these in the middle of a cable run - my servers extra molex needs were catered for like this.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thread Information