Thread: Any case modding stores in London?

Thanks

Any case modding stores in London?

I have been searching and I cannot seem to find any. I just seek a store that can do a paint job or two as well as get rid of some minor scratches. Nothing extreme, I just want to sort out some minor imperfections. Surely there are modding stores in London and Google is just leading me on a wild goose chase, right?

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Re: Any case modding stores in London?

Any half decent smart repair place will be able to do a single colour for you. If its a multi colour job, then look for sign writers/motorcycle stencillers etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Any half decent smart repair place will be able to do a single colour for you. If its a multi colour job, then look for sign writers/motorcycle stencillers etc.
    Had to look up what SMART repair actually is! Do you have a place in mind? My searches reveal that the quality varies massively from place to place.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    Had to look up what SMART repair actually is! Do you have a place in mind? My searches reveal that the quality varies massively from place to place.
    For a PC case? Anywhere will do fine, provided they'll actually agree to do it. I know the place I have used for the car in the past (thats in bolton) does random stuff for people from time to time (Mostly displays/shop stuff).

What exactly are you wanting doing? Getting a good finish with a rattle can isn't really hard.

Thanks

For a PC case? Anywhere will do fine, provided they'll actually agree to do it. I know the place I have used for the car in the past (thats in bolton) does random stuff for people from time to time (Mostly displays/shop stuff).

What exactly are you wanting doing? Getting a good finish with a rattle can isn't really hard.
    I want to get rid of a long, shallow scratch on the front panel of my case (plastic) and then get a good finish on the PSU bracket and the HDD cages (aluminium). There's a small, sharp bit sticking out from the otherwise smooth surface of the PSU bracket, so I would like to get that smoothed out as well.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

I want to get rid of a long, shallow scratch on the front panel of my case (plastic) and then get a good finish on the PSU bracket and the HDD cages (aluminium). There's a small, sharp bit sticking out from the otherwise smooth surface of the PSU bracket, so I would like to get that smoothed out as well.
    Get to eurocarparts for some wet & dry, high build primer and a colour of your choice. Take your time with it (make sure to leave enough time to dry between coats) and you'll be able to get a decent finish, particularly if you're just using a solid colour.

Thanks
    • TheDutyPaid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Gryphon Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB and 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • 1953 Bush AC-34 Radio now case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung & 27" ASUS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity, Fast :-)

I did train as a panel beater paint sprayer. With the plastic you can polish scratches out but home use stuff is never much good, If I come to a push I use Brasso wadding which will leave more scratches but smaller then you have to use a finer compound and probably finish off on a wheel.

With the painting you will need an etch primer for Aluminum then paint, always remember to use a surface cleaner then a tack cloth before spraying. Where to spray is another matter, warm dust free but well ventilated and you wont mind with over spray covering everything.

If you do not mind paying then powder coating or anodizing can be done as well.

Thanks

Get to eurocarparts for some wet & dry, high build primer and a colour of your choice. Take your time with it (make sure to leave enough time to dry between coats) and you'll be able to get a decent finish, particularly if you're just using a solid colour.
    I would rather pay someone to do it for me as I can be quite clumsy. In addition, I would rather not "experiment" on my case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDutyPaid View Post
    I did train as a panel beater paint sprayer. With the plastic you can polish scratches out but home use stuff is never much good, If I come to a push I use Brasso wadding which will leave more scratches but smaller then you have to use a finer compound and probably finish off on a wheel.

With the painting you will need an etch primer for Aluminum then paint, always remember to use a surface cleaner then a tack cloth before spraying. Where to spray is another matter, warm dust free but well ventilated and you wont mind with over spray covering everything.

If you do not mind paying then powder coating or anodizing can be done as well.
    Call me daft, but most of that was jargon for me. I've been to Enfield. Since you sound like an expert, would you consider taking on the job in exchange for financial compensation?

Thanks
    • TheDutyPaid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Gryphon Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB and 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • 1953 Bush AC-34 Radio now case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung & 27" ASUS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity, Fast :-)

Call me daft, but most of that was jargon for me. I've been to Enfield. Since you sound like an expert, would you consider taking on the job in exchange for financial compensation?
    Only trouble for me is I spray in my garage and the weather is a bit cold at the moment, I try for days about 20c

I am not sure what case you have or how much it cost you, but have you thought about a new case that is finished to the standard you want, may be cheaper in the long run?

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Only trouble for me is I spray in my garage and the weather is a bit cold at the moment, I try for days about 20c

I am not sure what case you have or how much it cost you, but have you thought about a new case that is finished to the standard you want, may be cheaper in the long run?
    I think the case is a Lian Li PC-K63B First Knight which I think can be bought for less than £80, getting someone to do the work for you will most likely cost at least £50 and could quite possibly come to £50 an hour.

It might be worth putting an add on Gumtree or Loot for services wanted, or simply looking in those to see if you can find custom PC builders in Micro Mart or similar classified adds papers like Loot, you might be able to browse one of these freely at your local library.

Thanks

I have the PC-K63 and have been thinking about a new case which includes hours of research. I am incredibly picky if you can't already tell and that involves only buying Lian Li cases as Lian Li thinks of the small things. It seems Lian Li has patents for all its little inventions as well! I am considering the PC-B25FB which is more expensive but inferior to my current case in my opinion, plus only Germany seems to have stock. Same with the PC-A76WX which is vastly more expensive, is also only available in Germany, and has far more than I actually need. The PC-K63 hits the sweet spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    I think the case is a Lian Li PC-K63B First Knight which I think can be bought for less than £80, getting someone to do the work for you will most likely cost at least £50 and could quite possibly come to £50 an hour.

It might be worth putting an add on Gumtree or Loot for services wanted, or simply looking in those to see if you can find custom PC builders in Micro Mart or similar classified adds papers like Loot, you might be able to browse one of these freely at your local library.
    Sadly there is more stock left of the PC-K63, at least according to Skinflint, and that's for the EU as a whole. At 50£ an hour, I might as well drop approximately 225£ on the PC-A76WX! That's good advice, I'll look there for now!

Thread Information