Thread: 12v to 7v molex mod

Thanks

12v to 7v molex mod

well i have been running these little things at 12v now 4 well over a 1yr(ys-tech 1212387s-11)

YS-TECH FD1238 120mm Fan - 4 Pin (FG-004-YS)
    If you want the best performing 120mm fan available, look no further than the amazing YS-TECH FD1238. Pushing no less than a monstrous 135CFM, this fan provides the ultimate custom case cooling solution. Fitted with a 4-pin Molex (PSU) passthrough connector.

- Speed - 2800RPM
    - Output - 125CFM
    - Decibels - 40.5dBA
    - Dimensions - 120x120x38

God these are loud, but now i have done the 7v they are so quite i can really here myself speak now. tried the 5v but pc got a bit too hot started locking up and screaming at me.

Thanks
    Interesting your point about lock ups with the 5V mod - does volt modding the fans from molex tend to cause instability?

I ask because I've been getting random crashes and they're not caused by heat. Could be my 7v 120mm panaflo I guess?

Thanks
    The lower the voltage on the fan the lower its speed hence the less air that is pushed out/in the case hence temps can go above stable levels

fingerbangin' your cat
    Thanks
    yep - the actual mod won't effect anything stability-wise, but if ur case temps get too high u'll always end up seeing instability

Thanks
    I don't think I am getting high case temps though, even with my 120mm side blow hole and 80mm top exhaust at 7v.

I've got an XP2400 at stock and it idles at 41C most of the time, about 46C under load.

The only thing I was thinking was maybe the 120mm side, along with my 80mm HSF was creating some kind of 'pool' and maybe my 9700 is the thing that's overheating.

Thanks
    speaking of 7 volt mod, u can't use the speed reading from the cable because there is no ground signal since it's using the potential/voltage difference between the 12v and 5v line. 5 volt mod can sometimes cause problems with certain fan, u have to remember that the fan's motor need a starting voltage to get it spinning. The best is to get one of those fan speed controller or even better go to maplins and start buying some resistors and etc.

Thanks
    just out of curiosity on the rad 9500/9600 can you 7v mod the fan power supply or does it control more than the fan ??

Thread Information