Thread: PSONE LCD - Ribbon cable extension

Thanks

PSONE LCD - Ribbon cable extension

Ok so I got some PSONE LCDs on clearance and have been messing around with them and of course run into the same problem everyone else has... that stupid ribbon cable that means the PCB has to be right near the screen and makes installs much more difficult in almost any circumstances.

And like everyone else I have had no luck finding an extension cable. So the thought occured to me... why no bypass the trap and simply solder from the ribbon cable onto the board with say some IDE cable or something...

This seemed a simple solution until you remember those leads on the ribbon cable are pretty small (but definitely solderable) and the ones in the trap are even smaller...

But wait! If you look just above the trap and follow traces you will see only about a dozen or so of those pins actually connect to anything!! Much easier job now... but wait again, above almost each one of those is a huge solder pad! This makes tapping in even easier!

So my idea now is to take some IDE cable strip it down to the right number of wires and solder onto those pads and up to the leads on the ribbon cable and have a nice 12-18 inch extension!

Also of interest that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere, if you look right on the PCB at near the trap for the ribbon cable, the board is labled with what each pin does... Perhaps if someone knows more about video signals than I do you can figure out if all the connections are actually necessary, the less wires after all the easier.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    I fear that the signalling from the PCB to the LCD weren't designed to travel very far, so a longer cable may really hurt image quality.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kez
    I fear that the signalling from the PCB to the LCD weren't designed to travel very far, so a longer cable may really hurt image quality.

Well the soldering to the ribbon cable was a bust, way too hard. But I did find someone who can supply 6 inch extension ribbon cables and connectors so I am getting some of those.

And yes it's not made to travel far but I think 6 more inches won't make a noticeable difference.

Thanks

Who is supplying the 6" ribbon cable?

I need one as well, can you connect me with that person?

Thanks
    Dude, who's supplying it? Can you get me in touch with them, I need something similar,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devedander
    Well the soldering to the ribbon cable was a bust, way too hard. But I did find someone who can supply 6 inch extension ribbon cables and connectors so I am getting some of those.

And yes it's not made to travel far but I think 6 more inches won't make a noticeable difference.

Thanks
    on the origional psOne thread there was comment of extending the cabling causing quality reduction.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zatch
    I need one as well, can you connect me with that person?
    Check with luminlabs...

Thanks

Who/what/where is luminlabs

Devedander,

I didn't find any info about a luminlabs. Is it an extinct forum? Is it spelled differently?

Thanks for your help.

Zach

Thanks
    nevermind, i found what you are talking about.
    www.lumenlab.com
    it's a great resource. Unfortunately it doesn't help someone like me who just fried my lcd for the DIY projector project!!!

Thread Information