Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: FarCry Logo

Thanks

Project: FarCry Logo

OK I started this project months ago with the intention of putting it on a computer mod of some type. But I didnt end up making any kind of mod that it would fit on so the half finished logo was left gathering dust on the shelf untill my broher suggested it might look good as a stand alone item.

The the original for the logo came to me when I was looking at the CD case for Farcry and thought that a 3d copper and aluminium rendition of the logo would look pretty cool.

Although difficult to see at this size the Farcry logo has a kind of 3d effect with a copper colour behind and a silver/white on the front hence my idea of copper and aluminium.

So I decided on a roughly a4 size (so that I could easily print out the logo at the working scale) and got started cutting aluminium.

I went with 1mm aluminium as it is thin enough to be easy to cut but reasonably strong at this size. As you can see I printed out the logo and stuck it to the aluminium sheet and cut around the inside line of the logo. The copper part I will be around 2mm bigger all round which will hopefully give the 3d effect.

I am using a peircing saw to cut out the letters which give a very crisp and sharp effect although it takes some time. With the Y here i was experimenting with how to do the scratches and tearing but I will have to see how it goes on the more complex letters
    Last edited by turkster; 18-11-2005 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    looking good

Nice cutting

Thanks
    Thanks, thats an easy one too wait till i get to the A

Thanks
    Got a bit further cutting the letters. Fairly fiddly work but they are starting to look good .

They still need a bit of cleaning up with a file to get them nice and crisp.

Thanks
    Sorry the pictures were down there for a while, had trouble with my hosting but hopefully ok now.

Anyway pretty much finished off the basic cutting aluminium letters they just need to be cleaned and straightened with a file. Here is a (rather shaky) close up if the A.

In the meantime I got started cutting the copper sheet blank for the back layer of the logo. I am using 1.5mm sheet which is fairly tough. It needs to be fairly strong though because this part is all one piece and it would bend too easily at the weak points if it was any thinner. Here's the sheet I am cutting it from. Didnt actually use the snips in the end for cutting out the blank as they would have made too much of a mess of the copper, I used an angle grinder instead .

Last edited by turkster; 18-11-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's looking good

Keep us updated

Thanks
    Well i've got the copper roughly cut out now Again this was done with the piercing saw but is fairly hard work in 1.5mm copper. Was on my last blade but amazingly managed to get this far without breaking it! Heres front and back views.

There is still a good bit of cutting to do on this but the whole project is coming a long nicely now .
    Last edited by turkster; 20-11-2005 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    Got the copper pretty much finished now. It still needs a bit of finishing but the outline looks good.

Excuse the photo, I didnt have time to take a decent one.

Thanks
    lookin sweet as man some talent gone in to that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Thanks
    Thanks.

Had a good idea today and decided to backlight it .
    When i first started the project i envisaged having the aluminium lettersr flat against the copper but then i decided that it would look much better if I raised them a few milimetres above the copper to give it a 3d feel. Then i thought that maybe lighting it with LEDs between the copper and aluminium would look cool. The problem with this is it would be fiddly, use lots of LEDs and probably be difficult to get an even light.

So today a was fiddling around witha bit of EL string that I had lying around and suddenly thought it might be possible to use this to illuminate it. The difficulty would be in bending the string to follow the shape of the letter and also it would need to be treaded to the back between each letter. I did some quick mock ups today and it looks like it might be possible and looks pretty cool at the same time .

The EL string is aqua blue too so it fits with the whole tropical island thing .

Thanks
    Here's the EL string

Thanks
    Well as the the logo is going to be stand-alone and not mounted on any specific case/mod my brother and I decided that it needed a background. I was looking around for something suitable and came across these bits of old roofing slate.

Slate is good as it fits well with the logo's battered and scratched effect and provde a nice contrast in colour. Anyway in the end decided on this one because, with a bit of fiddling, it is just about the right size and incidentally has a nice profile at the top which looks like mountains or hills in the background .

Thanks
    Looking good keep it up

Out of interest where did you get your copper sheet from?

Thanks
    I get the copper and all metal from miko metals in Cork http://www.miko.ie/.

Dont suppose they'll be of much use to you but they are great for giving you free offcuts. My brother went in there one time getting a sheet of copper and they gave him most of a trailer full of offcut sheet copper, alu and brass in different sizes .

Thanks
    Off cuts are modders friends

My local place do sheets only at 4meters by 2meters and getting them thro the door requires a jigsaw normally

Thanks
    yeah 8x4 is big and expensive . Good thing about Miko metals is they'll cut almost everything to the metre which is pretty cool.

Thread Information